Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Bob McCoy '40 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Bob McCoy '40 Appreciation Thread

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. One of my favorites, back in the day.

jim snow likes this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

From what I understand there is a copy / tribute clone of it out there too.
    Marcus Edell out of California owned the clone for a brief time.

Here are some pictures of the real "McCoy" I found on the internet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. guy1unico

guy1unico

My 39 Deluxe more door has the wheels, tires and rake.

1939 deluxe 4 door.jpg

5. I think Marcus has owned EVERYTHING for a brief time!

warbird1, Outback, Tim and 2 others like this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Easily the best looking nerf bars ever. It's not even close.

Rand Man, drdave, VANDENPLAS and 7 others like this.
  7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car was a big influence on me as a kid...I probably built this kit half a dozen times. BUT, even as a kid (and budding artist), I remember thinking that the blend/fade on the flames was poorly done:(
    0.09.jpg

8. The flames, nerfs, stance, it all just works.

drdave and Pinstriper40 like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Too busy for my liking.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Several years when I was vendor at the LARS my spot was next to Bob. He and his wife were really nice and very interesting to talk to. I had him make one of his famous cutaways for a friend of mine which he proudly displays in his office.

deucemac, drdave, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm inspired by the stance and detail. I'd love to see a full feature. Engine, interior, more of the story type stuff.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Churchy

Churchy

9289A9DC-B93A-48EC-A8ED-C3CAD4EFFB59.jpeg
    Bob McCoy was a heck of an artist … and at times chose to use his own creations in his work… Somewhere years ago I snatched this off the web and threw it in a folder with other 40 stuff.

You either love or hate the flames… there is no middle ground on that. But, this has been one of the most photographed Hotrods out there… so there is definitely something appealing about them

13. My dad had one of his art pieces, a painting of dad in a sprint car busting out of the frame, my step mom commissioned it.. I have a couple of his prints hanging on the walls at home. We would always chat with him at LARS too.

Gotgas, VANDENPLAS, Outback and 2 others like this.
  14. Dream Boy

Dream Boy

'40 Deluxe Coupe, Sedan or Pickup in the top of my list of favorites of all time. This one is outstanding !

chryslerfan55 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  15. showrod

showrod

I have an older car friend who has shared with me that when he got out of the military
    He was in California. He was looking for a 40 ford coupe. He spotted one on a used car lot.
    To his surprise it was parked next to the Bob McCoy sedan. Also for sale.
    He could afford either one but after a difficult decision he bought the coupe.
    Although he had the coupe a very long time, and made many memories with it he still regrets not buying the McCoy sedan.

Rand Man, VANDENPLAS, Outback and 5 others like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's kinda funny, especially since I've been involved in "automotive art world", that I never put 2 and 2 together...the Bob McCoy '40 Ford, and Bob McCoy the artist are one in the same.

17. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

X2!!

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

My '40 sedan is of course very much influenced by a few '40's, first Bob McCoy's sedan, then Gene Sonnen's, and finally Chuck DeHeras' So-Cal speed shop built '40 coupe. I always loved the nerf bars on the McCoy sedan and Chuck's coupe. Anyways, that's that... My '40 will soon be getting a much needed freshening up in 2023, including a 327 topped with four Stromberg's, a repainted firewall, and a Dave Bell style multi-color pinstriping job.
    Here's some more of Bob's art. I was happy to meet him in 2014, just 3 months before he left us. Screenshot_20221207-165640~2.png Screenshot_20221207-165541~2.png IMG_20221207_165718~2.jpg IMG_20221207_165833.jpg
    Screenshot_20221207-092045~2.png

19. Great looking ride

what are the wheel covers off ?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Bob's Tudor is such a cool jigger, I have seen many photo's of his car but hadn't realised he was connected to 'His' art as I have seen it around. if I was going to end up with a 39 or 40 Tudor it would have to look just like Bob's!

Where is it now??

chryslerfan55 and seb fontana like this.
  21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

MVC-015S.jpeg

Bob did one of his 3D acrylic pieces of my Zipper about 17 years ago. The NHRA Museum had a nice display of Bob's art for years and the '40 was on display there for awhile. Bob was a Rodeo rider, sprint car driver and all around good guy.

22. Dadgum it, now I want a 40 sedan again. Maybe @Pinstriper40 will just send me his. ;)

Spooky, Pinstriper40 and NoSurf like this.
  23. My second & third hot rods were 1940 Ford DeLuxe sedans, both were black and I wanted to have someone do the Bob McCoy style flames on both, We were raising twins and I never could scratch up the money to have it done.

I love all the Deuces I have owned but that doesn't diminish my application of the 40 Fords, We traveled all over the country in my black 40 with a glass Mullins trailer in tow with the wife and both girls, I miss that car. HRP

chryslerfan55 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  24. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

One of my favorites back in the 50s.

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’ve been a fan of the nerf bar and full wheel covers since I was a child. Dig it man.

26. deucemac

deucemac

Having grown up in San Diego and known Bobby for many years, although beautiful, his 40 tudor is only a small part of and incredibly talented person, wrestler , rodeo cowboy, body guard, excellent sprint car driver with a future Indy car ride had he not suffered a terrible crash, kean Bonneville racer, artist, striper, and one of the craziest/ best good guys to ever appear on the automotive scene, and I am fortunate enough to to have known him! I proudly display two of his drawings in my overstuffed garage!

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve always liked that car. I agree, the fade on the flames could have been better, but it was radical for its time. The design of the flames is much better than a lot of earlier designs. We’re just so used to seeing perfectly blended colors it makes this one look off a bit, but anything else just wouldn’t be the same on that car, it gives it its identity. You say “ Bob McCoy’s 40 Ford” and we all know what you’re talking about.

Like Anthony says, I’d drive it!

chryslerfan55 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  28. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Bob’s 40 was definitely an influence on my 40
    61A71605-609E-4223-B4AF-43F9A7063914.jpeg

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bob was a great all around Hot Rod Guy.
    Here’s a painting he did of Clem Waske back in the 90’s. 55734BF4-A98C-48AC-B9E5-4D62489EA1CE.jpeg

30. Here's some higher resolution scans of the images @Ryan already posted:

Bob McCoy '40 - on cover of Trend Book #160 - HOT ROD 1958 Annual.jpg

Bob McCoy '40 - Bob standing.jpg

Bob McCoy '40 - Bob driving.jpg

Bob McCoy '40 - 3-4 front view.jpg

Bob McCoy '40 - 3-4 rear view.jpg