Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest they played TAPS for my dad today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2012.

1. 5 years now, nothing has changed and yet everything is different.

belair, j hansen, HemiDeuce and 6 others like this.
  2. This thread speaks volumes of what you thought of your Dad and what he thought of you.

I reread this every time it comes to the top.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

3. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed this the first time around, very sorry for your loss. It's been 20 years since I lost my Dad and I still think about him every day. I'm sure you will do the same. Again sorry for your loss.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I too missed this.
    Time truly is a good healer. Now it’s just good memories.
    My deepest condolences.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  5. I can’t hardly listen to Taps anymore. Too many gone way to soon. My condolences.

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

RIP and God Speed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. UUgghhh. I feel ya loud and clear..... I hit the ten year mark a week or so ago. Seems like yesterday, kinda.
    And can totally relate about how nothing has changed, but everything is different.....
    Always wondering if I ever accomplished anything, lived like my parents had hoped for me, and succeeded as they desired..... Like being born again, and new to the world....... As long as I'm on the hamb, this post will always keep me in check=reality, and always remind me of what I will never forget...... Stay strong- it's all we can do.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

It will be 28 years December 13th since my dad passed. I spent his last day on earth with him at work at the shop.
    The day he died four of his close retired mechanic friends just happened to stop by the shop, not planned together but they all ended up there one by one wondering in. It was like old home week. The laughing and stories and bullshit was epic. I just stood by listening and laughing. It was like a seen from an old movie with old guys at the general store sittin around the pickle barrel. One by one they all trickled out the door. Dad said he was feeling tired and was going home and he'd see me tomorrow.
    I got a call that night from my mom saying he was on the way to the hospital in the ambulance and to meet her there. He never made it.
    As hurt and tore up as I was the next day at the shop getting things set to close down for the rest of the week,
    It was even harder to call those four friends and tell them that Buster had passed the night before.
    Each one of them said that they thought hey I haven't seen Buster in a while I'm gonna drop by the ol speedometer shop and see how he's doing. None of them could explain exactly why.
    I miss you dad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Great story e1956, if your dad could have picked how his last day would be, do you think that was it?

10. It's weird isn't it?

11. VERY.......but you know that.....:(

12. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Yes I think that would be it, he loved the shop and had a lot of business aquaintces but only very few
    friends. He favorite chair is still in the same spot in the shop.

13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

31 Vicky my thoughts are with you at this difficult time of the year. The hurt never goes away but it does get a little better with each passing year.
    Thanks for letting me tell my story.
    God bless

14. Damn time goes right by-
    Days are long but the years whizz by

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ain't that the truth. Looks like I joined the Hamb just after you posted this, hadn't seen it. Great story on the pants. And a great Dad.

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the good memories alive! My grandfather was the person that instilled the love of things mechanical in me. He bought an old Maytag motor for me when I was 7 or 8 years old, and helped me get it running. Still have it today.

He passed away on September 22nd, 2001 11 days after the 9/11 attacks. Exactly one year later I was on a flight from Minneapolis to Charlotte, and while we were taxiing for takeoff the right side landing gear on the plane collapsed from metal fatigue. Had it happened during the takeoff roll or subsequent landing in Charlotte I likely would have lost my life that day. Every year on September 22nd I start that old Maytag and celebrate life, both the one he had and the one I still do.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...=20020925X05213&AKey=1&RType=Summary&IType=FA

47ragtop and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  17. So sorry for your loss but what a send off.R.I.P. Bruce.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As blowby said...
    I also hadn't seen this. Never expressed my condolences. I'm sorry, 31Vwah.
    Like you, I can't believe it's been 5yrs since I lost Sandy. And like you, the days sometimes drag on. Wtf.
    The memories are sweet. The feeling of loss is great and lingers.
    It helps not to feel alone.
    I'm/We're with you, brother...
    :(... :mad:... :confused:... :(... :cool:... :)... ;)... :D:D:D

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

December 10th was my Dads birthday, he would have been 103 today. Hope he's bumped into your Dad and they are looking over us. Bob

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

31 Vickie, just read this thread, I buried my Dad two days before you buried yours, Dec.7, 2012. Being a WWII Navy vet,USS Enterprise sailor, seem fitting that he selected that day.

My Dad was a ,dyed in the wool, Ford man and hated forgien cars. So when the funeral home showed up with a Cadillac hearse, we said no and took him to the cemetery on the back of his ‘82 Ford feed truck. Seeing as how we couldn’t really bury him on the ranch, we had the cemetery haul off the dirt from digging of the grave. We had a dump truck filled with dirt from the ranch. I, my son , my nephews, workers, friends and other family members took our shovels and covered him with the dirt he loved and worked for 91 years.
    A true patriot and military man was layed to rest that special day. An image of the USS Enterprise, the most decorated ship in history, is etched into his stone.
    Best I could do for my Dad.

Bones

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bones, that's very touching. Very much...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Sounds like you did
    Like Ricky said, very touching

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks guys, It meant a lot to me and my family, I’m sure my Dad approved, looking upon us.

Bones

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I feel for you as well 31 Vicky, February will be 2 years for me....

25. Been almost 21 years for my mentor and Dad, he went way to young. Still think of him every day, especially when I have a question I could use some help with. He’s the reason I’m the man I am.

I don’t think it gets easier, it’s just different as time goes by, I’m sorry for your losses and good on you Vicky for the heartfelt memories.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. 31 Vicky,
    Thanks for the story about the fine relationship with your dad, and for sharing the story about the Harley. My dad was not around for me to have that kind of relationship, but I was able to change that all around by developing and keeping a wonderful relationship with my kids.
    I also appreciated reading all the other great stories of how the dads turned their kids into gearheads on purpose.
    As a former fighter pilot, I attended enough funerals of very close friends, that in spite of the fact that it is inevitable that I will hear the song, I don't ever care to hear Taps again.
    My compatriots and I are all ancient now, (I'm 75), so at least the loss isn't about someone in their prime of life any more, but the loss is just as great.
    When we get together as a group, it is wonderful how the stories will come out about our departed friends, and these memories will always prompt laughter and another story.
    I just lost a very close buddy on Nov 5th, and in addition to the loss I feel, I am also charged with handling all his affairs. Being executor makes it difficult to deal with the business of the estate and my own emotions. I guess this will have to come later when I have time to reflect.
    Loss is inevitable in life, and remembering all the stories brings them back every time we remember those who were close to us.
    Bob

27. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

Sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like someone I would have liked to know

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As a vet I hate to see us dying so soon. It sounds like your dad was one special man. Just remember the good times!

29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I lost my Dad just about 2 yeas ago, He never got to see my garage finished, though he enjoyed seeing the progress pictures I sent him as I built it. It has one of the bullet casings from his 21 gun salute in a place of
    honor though, he had 7 children, we each were given one.

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Been 10 years , yesterday, since I lost my Dad. He taught me everything I needed to make it through this world. The best thing best thing he taught me , is to apply the knowledge I learned from one thing to other things! That and the value of hard work!
    I buried him on Dec 7, 2012 a fitting day for a proud WWII Navy Vet!
    Being a true Ford lover , when the funeral company couldn’t find a Lincoln hearse, all Caddies, we took him for his last ride on his old 82 Ford Feed truck, with his grandsons and friends attending! I miss him! 3ACD3015-509B-46B0-A350-54B72D7A9682.jpeg 22E91AD9-DDA2-415D-9B5A-1B7145537F83.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022