Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Paint Gun Club. What have you got?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64Cyclone, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cavman

cavman

I have used an old #7 Binks forever, it was given to me buy my uncle in the 60's. He is 75 now. He got it from his Dad, who used it in the Nash Rambler Plant in Kenosha in the 40's. It went through a garage fire in the 70's (melted the cup). It has been rebuilt twice since I've had it. My devilbiss is a primer only gun, but it works pretty good too.

2. davhern22

davhern22
    from Milton, Fl

Nice, I got the same one just this Saturday at a Florida swap meet. I've been searching everything I can think of to get info on it but no luck. Can you help with any info on this piece of art?

3. cs39ford

cs39ford

image.jpeg Still use my 1960s binks model 7. It's got hundreds of paint jobs on even use it at work. Have a new 7 that I was going to replace it with 20 years ago it's still on the shelf I have painted cars one airplane motorcycles go karts it's my only gun that's my two cents

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. Nomadness

Nomadness

Brand new Model 7 with a Sharpe Teflon lined dripless cup...

[​IMG]

5. JunkYardGuy

JunkYardGuy

Found a neat old Sears gun at a yard sale last Summer.

6. 65 GTO

65 GTO

I still use an old Binks for primer its around 30 years old and still works great.

7. 2 JGA-s, 1 JGS, 1 MBC, 1 Binks #7, Delvilbiss Type CH touch up gun, 2 Harbor Freight HVLP's and door jamb gun.

8. Started on a rebuild of a Devilbiss EGA 502 this afternoon......................waiting on parts now.

9. I have the same Craftsman gun as Relic Stew. Painted several cars with it in late '70's. Lacquer of course. Did a pretty decent job.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. catdad49

catdad49

Bought a Sprayit several years ago because it just so cool looking, still has short piece of black hose clamped to it!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only old gun I have is one I loaned to a friend about 20 years ago. it still has the paint in it that he never cleaned out.

Bill's Auto Works and TagMan like this.
  12. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

great old thread...to revive.
    the "good" guns I have, are a Sharpe 75 and smaller touch up gun, bought new in 1984 when I was 22 years old.
    painted a ton of stuff with the model 75. bought the extra #10 and CC caps for it. and still have it.
    When HVLP was mandated, a lot of high-end siphon guns I never could afford, came up dirt cheap on Ebay for the taking. I picked up 2 Binks #7's, 2 Devilbiss MBC's, and a MGB- all for dirt cheap. Most of them were $5-$10 each.
    The #7 is the ultimate spray gun, with the 36 tip/needle and 36 SK cap, has a 13" vertical pattern, and really lays down the paint, and gets the job done quick.
    About 10 years ago, the HVLP guys were busting my balls about living in the 1970's with my old siphon spray guns. So I broke down and bought a used Sata Jet 90-2 for $100 shipped. To this day I've never used it, it needs a gravity cup, and will probably end up reselling it. Sure it's a high end German-made gun...but once you get used to a Binks 7, everything else pales.
    the old siphon spray guns have taken on an aura of their own, they've become somewhat collectible, and a piece of automobilia Americana. I stumbled upon a vintage Kellogg American Brake Shoe spray gun, and a 1950's Spraco gun, at yard sales, and got them both for $10 each.

henryj1951 likes this.
  13. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I have and still use a JGA that i bought in the mid 1970's to paint a 68 Coupe Deville convertable.I still love it and it still works great although i have rebuilt it severel times

14. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I really want to know the what maintenance would be involved, in buying a vintage gun for use today.

I've found a few vintage gravity fed HVLP's believe it or not, from Europe. One that comes to mind, Krautzberger.
    I've also found HVLP siphon feed, that uses less material unlike a conventional

I could save a lot of money by going vintage, but don't want to get into the market if that means it will keep breaking down on me. I basically want it to paint two restorations at the moment, over buying Harbor Freight.

15. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Bill's Auto Works and catdad49 like this.
  16. dmikulec

dmikulec

Resurrecting this old thread to show off my old DeVilbiss MBC with the KN pressure feed setup. DeVilbiss is my favorite of all the old school guns and I've a small hoard of them.

IMG-0364.jpeg IMG-0366.jpeg

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  17. jimpopper

jimpopper

I have a Craftsman made by DeVilbiss around 1980. A couple of worn out Sharpe 775's with the checkering worn off the handles and hundreds of gallons run through from the pressure pot. The gasket surface that seals the fluid caps eroded eventually and they were no longer rebuildable. One good Sharpe 775 that never saw the pressure pot. Numerous gravity feeds of various manufacturers too.

dmikulec and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  18. aircap

aircap

I had a Sharpe touch-up gun back in the 80's and 90's that served me well.

The oldest piece of spray painting gear I own is a tiny Miller single action airbrush with the original compressor that uses a sewing machine motor. I bought a spare sewing machine motor in the late 80's, and it's still in the plastic bag. I bought the Miller rig as a kit with the compressor, 2 airbrushes, 1 small jar, and 1 large jar. I bought a 2nd small jar in the 80's. The Miller rig also came with a cheap aluminum spray gun that I used one time before it died. The plastic base for the compressor broke in the 80's, so I mounted it to a piece of masonite, with some scrap pine to reinforce it. The whole rig cost $19 at K-Mart in 1978-79. It still works to this day.
    Ovation SprayRig 007.JPG

19. indyjps

indyjps

Fun thread, over 10 years old and still delivering, just like the guns shown.

My first gun was a Sharpe entry level from early 90s. Switched to hvlp - mainly because I was painting in a garage and needed to cut down on overspray cloud to see.

Gave the Sharpe to a friend. He was shooting primer with it last month.
    I pulled it out of his box in 2010 to prime a car. :D

dmikulec and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

I have a Binks 2001, my work was throwing out old inventory and this came from a pressure pot touch up booth from the past.

Looks like it can be used with a siphon cup. If anyone has experience with this gun or a suggestion on reasonably priced siphon cups to get this back in service, let me know.
    20221203_055540.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203_060621.jpg

dmikulec, RMR&C and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  21. I have a 2001 Binks that I bought new in the 90's. I liked it better than my MBC's for shooting enamel and clear coats. Painted dozens of cars with it, but haven't used it in years. Dunno if parts are still available for it, but any brand siphon cup should fit.

indyjps and dmikulec like this.
  22. dmikulec

dmikulec

Keep an eye out at eBay. Always plenty of old guns and parts available. I always look there first.

indyjps and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  23. dmikulec

dmikulec

Of the common MBCs I have, I'll keep a couple of the nicest ones to use and turn rest into into lamps and pinstripe them. Folks seem to like them.

IMG-0368.jpg IMG-0370.jpg

24. Thank You @dmikulec for resurrecting this old thread!

I had never seen this thread, but reading back through it....I love it!:D

I am NOT a collector of old paint guns, but over the years family & friends have given me old guns knowing that I paint.

Here are a few pictures of the guns I have!

The 1st picture is of a "Speedy Gun" with a glass cup that I don't think has ever been used with its original paper protective shield. No idea what year it is from! That & the one next to it that does not have a name was given to me by my 1st Father in Law back in 1984! He has long since passed, so I cannot get any more info from him on them.

The 3rd picture is of my Binks #7 with agitating cup that I did ALL my Lacquer jobs before HVLP guns came out as well as my Sharpe 775 that I did all my enamel jobs with & a Blue Point (Snap On gun) that was used for jambs. All Circa 1984 or so! Sorry that picture is so busy with my new guns in the background...Using a Tekna Copper & an Iwata 400 for my high end stuff, an original Devillbis Finishline gun as well as a no name gun from Amamzon for primers these days! Not pictured is a Paasche air brush kit that I purchased in 1983 & have managed to use it & still have it in its original box!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

20221203_134534 (800x600).jpg 20221203_134544 (800x600).jpg 20221203_134656 (800x600).jpg

dmikulec likes this.
  25. dmikulec

dmikulec

I bought one old MBC earlier this year to paint my 57 Pontiac with. Then got another as a spare. Then someone offered me a few more that they didn't need. Decided to look up some info on them and one of the links pointed here. So yeah, it's my fault. ;-) The KN pressure pot and gun was one I did find online and I only got it because it was in such good condition. I do have a DeVilbiss Starting Line and a pair of Finish Line HVLP guns as well along with a Taiwanese Husky brand detail gun for jambs that I rescued from the thrift store (previous owner left some resin type material harden in the cup and I had to wrestle like mad to get it loose. Rest of gun was clean).

BTW: born and raised in Cleveland.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022

26. Love it Sir!

Grew up in Brook Park, graduated from Midpark High, Class of 198o!!

Planning on going to Lloyds get together next year....Maybe a meet in person then???

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

God Bless
    Bill

dmikulec likes this.
  27. dmikulec

dmikulec

Small damned world. Grandparents home was (is) on Holland near Engle Road. They left Ohio for Florida early 70s. Both passed a couple decades ago. Grandpa's mom, my great-grandmother lived in Fairview Park off W220, I talked mom into buying the place when she passed so it's still in the family. I'm overdue for a visit.

28. dmikulec likes this.
  29. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

I still have my trusty old Sharpe 775 from the early 80's. I sent it out to get it rebuilt many years ago and I bought a HVLP gravity gun in the meantime and also switched to base clear at the same time. I have never used it again. I sprayed alot of laquer and enamel through that thing.

Bill's Auto Works and dmikulec like this.
  30. Slopok

Slopok

Bought a Binks #7 to spray Metalflake on motorcycles when I was 17. Big flake like on a Bass Boat not the micro flake they sell today. Still have it and it will damn near shoot cornflakes! :rolleyes:

Bill's Auto Works, RMR&C and dmikulec like this.