Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford C motor and Snow-white pump help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pist-n-Broke, Dec 2, 2022.

1. How I got where I'm at. Bought a new to me Wrecked 40 Ford Coupe. Prior 2 owners have both passed. It's been sitting Wrecked 25 years. It appears to have been built early 70's. Yes, it's a Street Rod, I can take care of that part without any help. Over the years most of the damaged parts disappeared leading to my question/problem. It appears there was a Crank Driven manual fan on the motor. I'd like to replace that for the time being. Plans are to make it run and drive as is, so I know what I actually bought. Yes I can machine up parts but if I can buy what I need and save time being it's a Temp fix that's what I'd like to do. Hunting online has turned up nothing yet so here I am.
    Did Snow-white supply a fan blade at the time for their hub? Was there a spacer to the fan blade? So to add to the little issue the hub in the photo that appears to be part of the initial kit is a bit odd. It has an index shoulder for centering and an odd size. It measures 1.205. Rather large for a standard fan blade. Then there is the threaded bolt holes. Not the expected 5/16" but rather 3/8" and had loose socket head bolts in them. Something was taken off and missing. Add to that, the 4 bolt holes are not on a Square pattern. One direction they are 1.250" center to center the other direction 1.625. What's that all about? Yes I can machine off the centering stub, redrill and tap a different bolt pattern but for now I'd rather keep it simple and bolt something on and keep moving forward. Anyone here had first-hand experience or good knowledge with what I need? Hell No I'm not putting an electric fan on it!
    P.S. Please don't bang on me for the M-2 in the photo. That will also soon be going in the Scrap Trailer. Remember, it was a Street Rod to be proud of back in its day.

20221202_075026.jpg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stop futzing with that little engine and get a Hemi prepped for transplant. We're wasting time, the rain will only last 6 or 7 months, let's get that 40 on the road by summer!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  3. B-B, do you actually think I need any encouragement to make a small project turn into never ending Project? I want to hear that Ford Motor run if it will! Maybe it can actually turn the Tires for a while longer and pretend it's a Real Hot Rod.

4. Fordors

Fordors

S/W used an Opel (metric dimensions) pump and it sounds like somebody did some odd machine work, I'll bet if you do a search you will get some info here.

5. Snow White nor Zips offered a fan, I have used several Zips risers over the years and I found the
    Derale rigid race fan that Summit sells works great and I have never had any overheating issues, I use the 17" fan but you would need to measure to see which size would work best.

The fan is centered on my radiator. HRP

[​IMG]

ffr1222k likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

With the odd bolt pattern, I'd say a fan like Danny pictured with slots instead of holes will be about your only choice without some redrilling involved.

I wouldn't worry about the OT suspension. The fenders will hide it....

Algoma56 likes this.
  7. The hub shown on the Motor is not a Home Built part. Quite sure the bolt pattern is matched to a mating part. I'm still waiting for a better answer. I doubt Snow-white expected a home builder to carve up a generic fan to fit their machine shop made part.

No kidding, where do you think I started before I went to the wide web? We all know the H.A.M.B. is information central for all things Old and Odd. Then I came back and still waiting for a good answer. Actually, I'm looking for the correct part I can bolt on.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Also looks like the pattern is not at a 90 degree. I've never seen anything like that in any car from the 30's through the 60's. It's got to be some special application or odd production car that just happened to have the correct diameter and offset.

If you have a lathe and can cut the weird center collar off, that might be your best bet. I'd think you could have it done before the fan HRP recommended shows up in the mail. Then you can redrill the pattern in between the odd holes, and bolt it on.

9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Snow White did offer fan spacers and would make custom widths if needed. The spacer did have a fan register on it. They did not supply a fan. The Derale fan, or others like it work fine.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  10. For Sure alchemy, I do and I can however, there's a ton of other work more important and as said I would rather open my wallet a little for the "Correct" premade part and keep moving forward on the other stuff. Or at least see a photo of what was made for it. I don't believe this is a one off mistakenly made item.

11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SW fan spacer pulley and fan sides:
    20221203_122647.jpg 20221203_122654.jpg

Pist-n-Broke and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No profile picture?

13. Now we're getting someplace. I assume it would have 2 bolt flanges to offset the bolt patterns.

14. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is just plain 3" OD aluminium round stock with no additional profiling. The pulley register is 0.972" OD and 0.842" ID and stands off the face of the spacer 0.100" The fan register is 5/8" OD and stands off 0.350". Make width as needed.

19Eddy30 and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No flanges, just a plain cylinder. No dual bolt pattern needed unless you just can't stand slotted fan bolt holes. If you had the 3" aluminium round stock you could have this done this afternoon.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I needed one to clear a fuel injection pump so it's way more than you probably need, but as you can see is just a cylinder.
    20221203_131234.jpg

19Eddy30 and Tman like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

When I got my Stude pickup, it had a strange, small diameter mechanical fan with several bolt patterns and a large center hole that wasn’t centering the fan. It looked like a fan from a forklift or a tractor or something. Maybe that’s what they used.
    I would forget the fan for now and just get it running again. A lot of old hot rods didn’t run fans. My Model A with a 430 hp 383 drives around at 180-190 for most my little excursions with out having to turn on the electric fan. As long as I don’t get stuck in traffic or multiple stops.
    Up there in the great damp north I would think cooling wouldn’t be too much of a problem I think that S-W kit was primarily used to shorten up the SBF for some swaps, do you really need it? Will a stock water pump and pulleys work?

18. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess my only last comment on your situation would be about the fan mounting holes in your pulley / water pump. The Opal water pump flange has the mounting holes concentric and not in an offset pattern. The holes measure about 2.225" hole center to hole center. The holes are metric M8-1.25 thread, not 3/8". You might want to pull the pulley off and see if someone has messed up the flange holes, or tried to redrill them to a different size and got some off center, or tried a thread repair insert and got off center. Also, in some applications folks added a Flow Cooler kit to the water pump, but in normal use it's really not needed.

19. Jim; Thanks for all your help. My issue is not with the actual pump itself. I still believe the part in the photo that is bolted to the crank pulley is a S.W. made unit in its original form from them. As you can see something was in fact bolted to it. It Can Not Be just a Fan Blade being it would not clear the Opel Water Pump pulley. A spacer is needed to clear the pump and while doing other things necessary to the Coupe I'm on the hunt for a premade unit from S.W. I'm also quite sure there was a manual fan on the Motor being there is absolutely no electrical provisions for an electric fan in the total wiring harness. Yes I can walk over to my material pile and pickup a piece and walk over to my Lath and spin out something (probably look something like a Thread Spool)
    to get the ball moving then go to my Mill and start drilling and tapping the appropriate bolt patterns. Why would I do that without at least trying to find one already made sitting on someone's shelf with no project in line to be used on? A few bucks to them and I'm still moving forward with a few Hours of time not burned up.

20. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understood. Last time I tried to contact SW I was not successful. And yes, a fan spacer is needed and SW informed you that you needed it the instructions but was not in the kit. Was sold as an accessory part due to all the different needs. Hope you have better luck.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bob
    Did you not get the news, we had a week of 100-115 degree weather in 2021.
    That was a MF!

bchctybob likes this.
  23. saltracer219

saltracer219

Hey Mike, I would be happy to machine something up for you to keep the project moving. If you have dimensions I think I have the material!

bchctybob and Pist-n-Broke like this.