Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Did I see a Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Did I see a Hot Rod?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Pretty cool to see LA when it was the place to be after WWII.

RustyDogg likes this.
  3. Didn't see the hot rod, but I'd love to find a utility bed like the one on the '46 Chevy at 3:48 for my truck!!!!

4. Cool circa 1951 film!

I’ve watched it 3 times now at half speed and many sections frame by frame … never saw any “hot rodded” coupes or roadsters … though this sedan appears to have chrome wheels and a bit of a “stance”:

Potential Hot Rod in 1951 Driving in LA film.jpg

LOST ANGEL and hrm2k like this.

5. Brett, that looks an awful lot like a Bell Telephone service bed- getting pretty scarce, but they show up every once in a while.

Sancho likes this.
  6. Are you talking about parked on the side street at 2:00-2:02?

I can't get it to stop at the best view but this one?
    upload_2022-12-1_10-25-59.png

guthriesmith, hrm2k, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

Sure saw lots of cars with skirts! None seemed to be lowered though.

guthriesmith and 49ratfink like this.
  8. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Cool video,not much traffic in those days.Thanks for posting!

9. yes that's what i spotted too, a light coloured full fendered whatever :D the imagination has to complete it to what you wanna see. maybe two friends in their first, mildly hopped up car they got from gramps for three or four sundays of mowing the lawn and they're cruising downtown to take a glimpse at all the elegant ladies which are strolling down the boardwalk.
    must have been a wonderful time to the people, war is over, no worries about tomorrow, the jet age is to come around the corner, all is possible. That's what i think at least the people thought and felt.
    Always cool to see these street scenes moving, thanks! :)

HEMI32 and Sancho like this.
  10. Bill -

Yep ... that car was my other guess ... but a zoom of a freezed-frame didn't show any evidence (at least to me) that it was indeed a Hot Rod vice just a stock late 1920s or early 1930s vehicle.

I'm really curious what Hot Rod @Jive-Bomber Jay saw ... or maybe he was just messing with us? :D

- Todd

40two and Sancho like this.
  11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Yup! Thats the one I *think* I saw... Sure looks like a hot rod coupe in the little bit we can see.

HEMI32 and Sancho like this.
  12. clem

clem

Maybe he was talking about potential/future hot rods……… ?

hrm2k likes this.
  13. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I have been watching a lot of late 30s, thru 60s movies lately. In one of the 50-60s movies, someone was looking out of an upstairs window and going by on the street was a T-bucket. Nothing to do with the story line, just a coincidence. Like it's been said in other threads, it is neat looking at all the old cars when they were new. And occasionally a real deal hot rod/custom pops up. A while back I was watching an original Green Hornet movie that was made in late 30s or early 40s, and a late 30s coupe went by in a street scene that had old style flames. Again, not part of the story.
    The old B-movies usually had real deal (traditional) hot rods, ie. "The Giant Gila Monster". I am sure most have seen it, but have you seen "Gila"? It is a remake done in, if I remember correctly, 2012. Pretty much same story line and has Milner's 32 coupe in it with THX138 licence plate. I think it is actually just a well done clone though. It races a black 55 Chevy (not so well done) and loses. Very cheesy movie, not near as good as original. Ron

14. Sorry guys ... I'm just not seeing it ... looks like a stocker to me:

Possible HOT ROD in 1951 Driving in LA film.JPG

... Oh, wait a minute ... let's zoom in on the above still frame ... and make it a B&W image with added contrast:

Possible HOT ROD in 1951 Driving in LA film - zoom with B&W contrast.JPG

... and I see that the sign painted on the building on the other side of the street clearly reads:

PETERSEN PUBLISHING CO.
    DELIVERIES IN THE REAR

;):rolleyes::D

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It sure was… but, our family started in So Cal, in the Los Angeles area from Boyle Heights just east of the downtown and also, in downtown where our dad worked prior to the war. As time moved on, our trips to downtown LA central to see our dad or just to visit friends was a part of our mom’s itinerary.

Since she did not drive, we always took the Red Electric Car from downtown Long Beach along the shoreline, through some interesting areas in Compton, Willowbrook and the rest of the South Central area leading right into the current Blue Line modern train station area at 7th street.

The films shows Wilshire District “Miracle Mile,” the giant Carnation Milk Company Building and Restaurant that was popular for many business men and shopping wives/families. They had some good hamburgers and Cherry Cokes, too.

The term Miracle Mile was pretty exclusive in this area… “one of Los Angeles’s most desirable areas in this time period. It was known or compared to the name “America’s Champs-Elysees,” This stretch of Wilshire Blvd near the La Brea Tar Pits was named the “Miracle Mile” for its improbable rise to prominence.”

Jnaki

Not only did our mom want to shop there, but when there was a Bullock’s Store on Wilshire, that was a store that was comparable to Orbachs and it was a little higher end than most Bullocks stores across the So Cal landscape. The proliferation of the neighboring Drug Stores with cafes or restaurants was amazing. Eat lunch and get your pills all in one swoop. A service that a lot of families enjoyed, we certainly did. Cherry Cokes with lunch was always a treat and at the Carnation Café, certainly ice cream topped off a grueling day of tagging along with our shopping crazy mom. HA!

But, if one notices and remembers, the big May Co store was the store for the masses and was a mainstay for many So Cal locations. It is now, Macy’s Department Stores at most locations still open.

Orbach’s Department Store was one of the high end stores and is/was located on Wilshire Blvd… guess what is currently next door? The “Peppermint Patty Christmas Candy” building block in these pandemic days.
    upload_2022-12-1_16-12-13.png

Our dad’s big 1949 Buick Roadmaster 4 door sedan fit right in with all of the other 50s cars in the area. In the area of the Orbach’s Store,there is a Nash Woody parked in front of the neighboring café. Later on, as the cameraman moves West, there are two teenage girls dressed to the classic 50s style. Of all things, checking out the camera as it whizzes by them.

The only other hot rod style car was the black 49 Oldsmobile Coupe on a side street with all black wheels and a chrome center cap. It was a popular item to paint the stock color rims all black.(my young teenage job) It gave the flipper hubcaps and Moon Discs a good background contrast.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-prince-‘50-olds.1242682/#post-14217597

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  16. Got one setting here in the yard. Went another direction. I had sold it to another HAMBer but he has never come and picked it up. We discussed selling it so it is on the market. Been made into a trailer, pulls good, just need some wheels with fresh rubber to pull it back down South!

Sancho likes this.
  17. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Very cool. I do know that if time travel were a thing, I'd be vacationing in the 50s and 60s.

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s the one I spotted, cool treat thanks ! Ed.

Sancho likes this.
  19. no

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  20. I didn't see any hot rod but there sure was a lot of good material to build a fleet of hot rods. HRP