Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ryan - History of the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 14, 2020.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Joined Feb 2007, based on others #'s I'm guessing I'm in the 28,000 range.

I hung around and read a lot before joining. The board was a lot more "direct" back then. :D Level of knowledge and experience here still amazes me on a regular basis - some off the wall combination - members chime in with a solution.

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you are #29022

Outback, chryslerfan55 and indyjps like this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just thankful I'm not member #0U812...:eek:

tommyd likes this.
  4. No no no. You guys have the history of the HAMB all wrong!

The HAMB was first started in 1897 by Dr. Phineas Q. Hamb.

0-48.jpeg
    Dr. Phineas Q. Hamb - circa 1890

Hamb, a staunch traditionalist and the son of a wealthy shoe string and bottle cap magnate, originally started the HAMB as a way for like minded gentlemen to come together to discuss corseted mammaries and other "gentlemen's fancys".

In 1904, the main topic of the HAMB shifted from Gentlemen's Fancys to the Horseless Carriage when Hamb's wife of 27 years was struck and killed by the new invention whilst crossing the street, returning home from a quilting circle/seance. And thus, the HAMB, as we know it now, was born.

Hamb was later quoted as saying "My deep appreciation for the motorcar could never wain given the peace, tranquility, and quality of life that was bestowed upon me on that fateful day. If only the driver had not missed my mother-in-law, life would be completely serendipitous.".

And that, my friends is the REAL "History of the HAMB". :p

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    CSPIDY, ct1932ford, 40two and 10 others like this.
  5. 5window

5window

Sancho likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

I read you as 282?

7. ONE of us should have kept it! I have a ton of shots from that day, 03? I still have that VHS Scotty and you shot that I need to get transfered to digital. I even ran across Kim a couple years back, va-voom!

Tim, chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  8. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i joined in nov. 2010 #130666

9. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

#3493, if I'm reading things right. So although I've been around here for a while I'm not real active. Following my (then-required-and-what-I-thought-was-witty) introduction post I seem to recall getting my ears pinned back by someone, so I coasted for a bit. And I bet there are a few others who can relate..... ;)
    It's cool that some kid down south had the wild hair to start something like this back when, and that a bunch of hoodlums picked it up and made it roll!

Outback, chryslerfan55 and hotrodA like this.
  10. Jack is still around, just talked to him the other day. He is not the same person as back then tho...

Outback, theHIGHLANDER and Sancho like this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yep

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea..... can't see it @Sancho .. its prolly my browser. no biggie...

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if on Android hold down on user name,
    window appears,
    top right has user info ending with member #
    I am 853

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  14. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing...this thread made me check and I noticed that it is already 10 years today since I joined...Didn't feel that long for some reasons... But still a newbie compared to many others here...

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember reading some of the history, as I recall the founder of these pages wanted to open a brothel but couldn't afford the girls and woulda had to run it by hand. Opening this was a more appealing idea, doncha think?

hrm2k, Tman, 5window and 1 other person like this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

spit coffee laughing gif.gif :D:D:D I love this place...........

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Glad you remember. :)
    Most likely didn’t stay long ….deleted.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I'd read the blog years earlier but joined the message board in '05 because I was enthralled with a thread you guys had going about Bluebear from the American Hot Rod TV show, a thread which got shut down soon after.

I also remember people talking about how the HAMB was getting soft on newbies, the "kinder, gentler" HAMB that would have burned new guys like me years ago (granted, the first project I posted about was a real turd that I would criticize now) but, it's still funny to think about 17 years and a third of a million members later. I know there were less than 6K members when I joined.

chryslerfan55, Outback and hrm2k like this.
  19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

2nd acct. 1st was around 2009ish if I had to guess but I was super nervous about pitting personal info out online so I have absolutely no idea what my handle was (tried searching it a cpl times before) in the end, not that big of a deal, judge a man by the content of his posts and not by his years on the hamb!

chryslerfan55 and Outback like this.
  20. APARENTLY I'M 11,371...

21. But Numbah 1 in our hearts ;)

chryslerfan55, Outback and Sancho like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

and I wonder what your old user name was? because your current acct says joined in 2017??

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm not worthy!

24. Country Joe

Country Joe

25. HAHAHA....

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  26. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Works on iPhone also

And I’m #9202 - didn’t think I was that low……

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At numbers in the 300K range just think, we're 1% of the US population, though I realize we're int'l. I made a smart ass remark (say it ain't so) on the Turkey Run post that said "We are everywhere, we are legion." Guess we are at that. No? Yeah? Maybe?

Sancho and Outback like this.
  28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

like @Baumi, I was scared off when I first looked in, it certainly was very edgy. I had been quiet for a while but visit often again.

I was hoping for some of these old images to show up,

29. Wow
    Thought I’d been here a while but guess I’m pretty new compared to you geezers. 97663

30. gene-koning

gene-koning

So this is my 2nd user name as well. I used to be 50Dodge4x4 which was member number 3151 when I first joined in Aug 7, 2004.
    I had a computer crash and couldn't remember my password so I changed my user name and started over on Oct 28, 2016 as member number 289,026.

My early life on the HAMB was easy! My 1st post was some tech help for a long time member covering something I actually knew something about.

My how things have changed. These days I'm way underqualified to answer most questions. Either I got dumber, or a lot of much smarter people have arrived. Its been a fun ride!