Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The 1953 Corvette... A factory Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The 1953 Corvette... A factory Hot Rod

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Everyone always carries on about the fact that they all came with Powerglides (I agree that it should have been a no brainer to cobble together a floor shifter for the passenger car three speed and use that), but if you read the road tests of the day, the magazines were still impressed with its performance; even Ford lover Tom McCahill liked it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

those 53-5 corvettes are beautiful elegant cars..... no wonder everyone fell in love with them

MOTOV8N, scotty t, Spooky and 5 others like this.
  4. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

Live axle Corvettes are the most hot rod production cars ever. Lightweight roadster body, obsolete chassis and the best motor you can find. What's more hot rod than that?

70L34, Spooky, 302GMC and 3 others like this.

5. AmishMike

AmishMike

Beautiful front ends, tail light sticking out are just plain ugly.

6. jaracer

jaracer

Built in St Louis, MO when full production started. I got to take a tour of the plant in the early 70's. That's before GM moved production to Bowling Green, KY.

7. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

8. Fordors

Fordors

It wasn’t exactly a back yard custom project, it would be highly unlikely that Harley Earl would use 4 year old, off the shelf taillights on a new project.

Moriarity and Rolleiflex like this.
  9. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must've really been something in 1953 to see one of those beauties cruise by. I'm a Ford guy and I really like them except at 6'3" I'd never fit in one.

10. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

The guy who designed the 49 Buick taillights could have come up with something better than the 53 Corvette lights. Maybe 1953 was when Harley started losing it. HE had definitely lost his mind when he did the 1958 Buicks and Olds.

302GMC likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

No comment.

Spooky and Moriarity like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

for all you guys saying the tail lites are ugly, come on guys it was the "jet age" there were lots of things in the era that reflected that, Personally I think the whole car looks fantastic including the tail lights

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'd certainly like to buy one....at 1965 prices, of course.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

In 1970 I had a chance to buy Corvete no. 46 for $150. It was in tough shape but I had a rusty 1958 Biscayne with a strong 283 that it could have used. I'm still sorry I passed on that.

tractorguy likes this.
  15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

In 1969, my oldest brother's best friend could have bought a '53 in decent shape for $500.00; unfortunately, he had just pulled every string at his disposal to buy a new '69 'vette, and hardly had enough money left over for lunch.

tractorguy likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wanted to buy one, remodel it a bit so the seats sat back so I could fit, chrome 8 pack of stacks sticking barely through the hood, cut down windscreen, single chrome roll bar, slight nacelle behind the driver, ultra lites, paint it silver, put a number on the door, side exhaust, lakes tarp over the passenger area. Kinda of a James Dean Corvette.

elgringo71 and tractorguy like this.
  17. tractorguy

tractorguy

Every time I see that engine, I have to remind myself that somewhere out on the shelf I have a complete three carb manifold with the sidedrafts for a 1953 Corvette. Bought it probably 30 yrs. ago laying on the ground under a guys table at a Michigan swap meet. I have a donor 235 engine and just for fun a Mallory new in box distributor. Seems like I have everything except the motivation !!

ffr1222k likes this.
  18. The six cylinder/automatic Corvettes always struck me as the automotive equivalent to a dancing bear. The amazement wasn't how poorly the bear danced, but that it danced at all.

19. A Boner

A Boner

Yep, the puffy seats wasted lots of precious interior room. Ergonomics were not a thing in the 50’s!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I love 53/55,I owned a badly used 1954,a very short time in 1962. It was a ragged out one,but I cleaned it up inside an the 6cly engine box,got that running on all 6 again !,,but didn't get the changes to fix the white gelcoat=it had gone to alligator skin.
    I had traded my full custom "J" for it,after close to two weeks,kids Dad shows up an,has my Dad tell me to trade back!:mad:;;;This after the kid blow out my full customs intake gaskets in my Old's Rocket 88,,,from dicking around turning key off an on ,to hear it backfire{ so now ran very poor}.
    So when I found out what was going on,I switched two plug wires on the Vett,before trading back. I would done a lot more,but didn't have time.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Spooky and tractorguy like this.
  21. v8flat44

v8flat44

When I was a senior in H S back in 19--, a guy who garduated a year ahead of me had a 54 Vette with PG trans. I got left behind at a dance with no ride till Dave rolled thru the door looking for his ex HS sweetheart. She wasn't there & he was drunk. Asked me if I'd drive him home before he fell down. I fell in love with that car!! Remember, I'm a Ford guy. The sound, performance, the feel & even the smell of that thing won me over. In 1965 I bought a 58 Vette....contagious .....If i had the $$$, I'd buy a 54 today.

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

1966 .... got back to San Diego from a 9 month vacation on the South China Sea. First liberty, I walk a couple blocks from the Seven Seas locker club to a Chev dealer to look for a '49 - '54 Chev. No luck there, but he had a '53 Vette with most of the engine in the trunk for $300, & a '54 that looked new for $1095. Had to wait for a while, but found a nice '49 Cad in the Sunday paper ...

e z i and tractorguy like this.
  23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

24. noboD

noboD

I can still hear the first early Corvette drive by my house. I was sitting on the front porch with my sister who moved out when I was 7. It was a black '54, belonged to a neighbor girl. I wonder where it ever got to?

tractorguy likes this.
  25. I've always loved the space age rocket ship tail lights.
    303.JPG

Deuces, Moriarity and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. The car was and still is a work of art .

to the naysayers I say nay! The car is simply perfect .

let’s face it , it’s a car that should of never been created never mind survived all these years and has been elevated to super car status.

the C1 & C2 are legendary

the C3 while a smog box underpowered behemoth of a car , was and is still cool to drive .

the next few generations have elevated it to the same if not better status the cars worth a ton more then the “ lowly corvette “

for a car that never should of been it’s Chevrolet’s crown jewel .

27. BJR

BJR

It was a great looking design, but until it got roll up windows it just didn't sell a lot of cars. Americans were used to cars with roll up windows and not side curtains. Add a V8 in 55 and you had a cool car, with the original body. Still no roll up windows though.:oops:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Back in 1998 a guy wanted to trade me even up his stock '54 for my modified '55 Chevy.
    As he was saying "I'll trade you..." I said no.
    Another guy offered me a '63 for the '55. Same result.
    Probably should have traded as so many folks trip over their bank accounts to own one but no regrets.
    Never been a fan

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The only corvettes I’ve ever loved. 53-54 and of course the split window.
    the tail lights looked great to me.

30. I've always liked everything about the'53-'56 Corvettes, being 6' 6" I would never be able to drive one though.
    Now if I were to start a car museum, there would have to be one on display... so innovative, unique, and being the start of a body model Chevrolet has continued on to this day. Worthy historical value/recognition.