Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a source or P/N for GM gray caulk/sealer/play-dough

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Nov 27, 2022.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Alright, stupid question time…. I’m doing the cowl area on my ‘60 ElCo and need a source for that gray sticky play dough goo they used everywhere on old GM stuff. It’s different than seam sealer and the tar they used. It stays pliable so that things can come apart later. It’s under trim, filling gaps, everywhere. I need it for dash trim and kick panel vents now, everything else later. What is that stuff? What’s an easy source?
    I don’t wanna spend the whole day wading through random forums reading Vette guys arguing, so I thought I’d just ask y’all.

2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

This stuff ? Screenshot_20221127-145501_Chrome.jpg

jimmy six, SS327 and lewk like this.
  3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

A buddy I reached out to is calling it Dum Dum Putty, and saying it isn’t as sticky as the butyl so it comes apart easier when you need to service stuff.

X-cpe, VANDENPLAS and SS327 like this.
  4. The 3 M is not like we had in the factory back in 64. 3 m changed their Chalk a few years back. This is not the same now. Ours came form Mortel. Best ever stuff.

lewk likes this.

5. SS327

SS327

Yup, Dum Dum. It’s not that great at sealing and will harden, crack and shrink with enough time. I know I fixed a lot of water leaks because of that stuff under warranty.

X-cpe and lewk like this.
  6. deuceman32

deuceman32

7. I’m the late 90s at the Chevy dealer I worked at we used 3M strip caulk. Worked just as well as the old stuff. You needed it to seal up any GM acc/heater box under the dash.

lewk likes this.
  8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Have always used Duct Seal. Does everything you specified.....play dough like, stays pliable, reusable and gray. 8 bucks for a 1 lb. stick on Amazon. Electric line departments have used it for years.
    15301Nashua-102.jpg

lewk likes this.
  9. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

SS327, Bob Lowry and lewk like this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

There it is. I guess this dum dum is headed for Home Depot. Thanks for the help guys!

SS327 likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to use the gray all the time but am not finding a number for it.

lewk likes this.
  12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The 3M strip caulk is black, but it's good stuff and it doesn't get hard. It's available at most auto parts stores.

SS327 and lewk like this.