Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Santa has a little less power this year. (And I have a banged up car)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BDUB77, Nov 23, 2022.

1. BDUB77

BDUB77

I've been dodging deer for a while in my 35 Plymouth Sedan and my luck ran out last night. The last thought in my head with all four tires locked up was that I think I'm going to miss it. Almost. I do feel pretty lucky on how little damage was done.
    Now the question is whether I look for another fender, or fix the one I have.

fender2.jpg fender1.jpg fender3.jpg

2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man that's a bummer. Does look like you got lucky tho, could be worse. Fender looks fixable to me....

VANDENPLAS, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  3. But will you have venison for dinner? o_O

4. I'd guess you'll be getting a lump of coal in your stocking this year!

King ford and Stogy like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually looks like the fender is ok? More damage on the inner panel it looks like. Either way it could have been worse. My brother had one jump to try to clear his pickup truck when he was doing 55 mph. It came right through the windshield and landed in the backseat! Fortunately he and his wife only sustained minor injuries as it passed right between the 2 of them! Totaled the truck though.

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The big old bumper may have saved more than you think. Definitely repairable. It’s a wonder it didn’t wipe out the headlight. Glad your ok.
    My old ahoogah horn saved me from quite a few mishaps. The different sound gets their attention and most of the time they either stop in their tracks or high tail in another direction. Lots of deer in my area.

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. I've learned that nothing fits like the original parts. Without a doubt I'd be working out the damage while it's still on the Car. Now that said we can't speak for your metal working skills, so the decision is still up to you. I recently bought a 40 Coupe with some damage to the Right Front Fender. The seller had set it aside thinking someone can save it. Spending a fair amount of time assessing the damage I agreed that I could bring it back. However, I also no longer have anything left to prove to anyone and have decided to save Time and just replace it.
    20221115_124405.jpg

brEad, ffr1222k, osage orange and 5 others like this.
  8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Very lucky... Definitely savable

mad mikey and osage orange like this.
  9. Well it could have been a lot worse ...I think it can be fixed.

osage orange likes this.
  10. jimpopper

jimpopper

Nothing better than original panels. That shouldn't be much of a challenge to an experienced metal worker.

osage orange and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  11. CME1

CME1

I'm glad you are O.K.! The damage as said looks to be repairable. I would go the repair route.

12. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Sorry to see that. I'm with the "repair and let it tell the story" crowd.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like an easy fix to me.

osage orange and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

A great testament to what REAL bumpers were designed for :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    mad mikey, osage orange and Just Gary like this.
  15. 6sally6

6sally6

Let most of the other guys it looks to me like you could 'beat-it-out' and with a small amount of filler ......make it invisible.
    Like many others I learned-my-lesson about after market parts and how sloppy they fit!!!
    So far...........I have avoided a 'deer collision' but they are everywhere this time of year especially.

Once...(when-when-I-was-in-band-camp)...not really....I was in the process of passing an 18 wheeler on a country 2 lane road. Just as I pulled out and was even with the trailer section the trucke smashed a deer and sent the deer cartwheeling across the road. The truck was traveling approx 60mph when he hit the deer. I'm sure the deer was dead before he splattered into the woods!
    That's pretty close...if ya axe me!!
    glad you are OK
    6sally6

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Grandpa got ran over by a reindeer" ear worm

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patience, with a hammer and dolly.

A little practice on scrap with a touch-up gun, and the paint could be blended, without even losing the pinstriping.

18. BDUB77

BDUB77

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was pretty bummed today and am feeling a little better. I’ll take some pics as I fix it and post them.

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

Being a 35 Plymouth I'd be wondering if a good replacement fender could even be found. Not much of that old Mopar stuff around.

chryslerfan55 and 49ratfink like this.
  20. swifty

swifty

I'd agree with Gene there, unlike the Ford and Chevs which had their fans the poor old Mopars got no love or respect.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Crocodile

Crocodile

If I found a fender for one of my projects at a swap meet that looked as good as yours, I would be excited. And my skill set is still not that great. I am in the "fix it" camp.

R A Wrench, Algoma56 and 49ratfink like this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What?! First Grandma and now Grandpa as well. Oh the horror..... LOL

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I’m no metal guy, unless you count aluminium foil, but that damage looks fairly straightforward to repair.

49ratfink likes this.
  24. The freakin' deer east of me are out in force. Believe those signs if you have them in your area. My girl friend dodges at least one a week on her way home from work.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  25. v8flat44

v8flat44

Sorry to see your GR8 old Plym. get the hit. A deer took the entire right side out on my then daily, an 87 Turbo Coupe which WAS in mint condition. Deputy Sheriff got the meat......not a good day.....

26. My area is hot with deer. I also dodge them every morning going to work. They are on the move at dawn just as it is starting to get light out. Glad you are ok and the damage is minimal. Still sucks that it happened.

27. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Difficult to see all the damage but I believe that you can straighten the fender and inner panel out. Good luck

28. I have a friend with a body shop and some years I stopped by. He had a Blazer in for repairs and I saw a long brown smear down the side of the wreck. So... I asked what it was... the answer was DEER POOP. Pretty gnarly to say the least.

29. BJR

BJR

Wouldn’t that be covered by your insurance?

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  30. Several years ago I hit a deer with my OT pickup truck. I didn't kill the deer but it had to be put down. The local cop took 4 shots to put it down. I guess that the cop wasn't much of a marksman.

bobss396, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.