Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No it's not !!!! Wrong ! Cmon ! A what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Aug 16, 2020.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

ex·pert
    /ˈekˌspərt/
    Learn to pronounce

noun
    1. a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area. I've enjoyed the comments/conversation from most people about my cars/racers through the years, it's part of the fun of it IMO. I've come across A Lot of Experts in our great car hobby, still do, in general people always amaze me in so many different ways.

chryslerfan55 and X-cpe like this.
  2. X-cpe

X-cpe

Expert
    ex - former or used to be
    spurt - drip under pressure
    (Mr. Orluski, 8th grade music teacher)

chryslerfan55, alanp561 and wicarnut like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've concluded from a lifetime of experiences, So many "Expert's" Reminds of a Very Good piece of Advice from my Mom "Always Remember, There are Way More Horses Ass's Than There are Horses" Till this day it will make me smile and fondly remember my Mom when I meet an expert or various people.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get a lot of "nice 55/56 Chevy" when the unknowing see the old Chrysler. If I'm feeling smart-assed, I tell them that a Chevy would fit INSIDE this 1956 New Yorker.

NewYorker2.jpg

5. cabong

cabong

If it was in a Ford box, it was probably one like that on Silent Rick's '53.......

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. cabong

cabong

I had taken the Jaguar Royale to an auction in Scottsdale some years back, and was driving into the building, through a crowd of onlookers. I passed an old guy and his son, who was probably in his 20's. Remember, this Jag had a McCulloch blower, and it would make great music. So the young man says "Hey Dad, why is that purple car making so much noise?". The dad answers "The car has a bad water pump, and the owner is too cheap to fix it before he sells it!" Down goes the window, and I'm half out and still climbing when I come to my senses. If the idiot doesn't know what he's hearing, there's no sense in trying to explain. Grin and bare it, that's all I could do.....

7. Nobey

Nobey

I have a 41 Ford pickup I drive all over the hills up where I live. I go into the local gas station
    and someone will walk up and ask, is that a 40 Ford? I'm always amazed that a person would
    know what it was and could guess so close. I tell them you've got a good eye, how did you know
    that? They say dad, or granddad had one. I tell them it's a 41, but they are so much alike you have
    to own one to tell the difference. Then I take the time to point out the subtle differences, they're
    not car guys, but I appreciate them taking the time to ask.

8. Good on ya. When someone is taking an interest and starting a conversation about our cars/hobby, is not the time to be an ass (unless THEY started it!).

9. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Man, there are so many. where do I start?
    "If it don't go chrome it" is probably the single dumbest statements ever. I never made sense of it, unless they are "rat-rod" people. My car has a ton of chrome,/polished aluminum. it's a street rod, that runs in the 4's that I drive 60 miles to the track.
    most any old hot-rods/racecars have a bunch of chrome, old funny cars, dragsters, altered. all of them.
    Brian Kohlman has an AWESOME 31 Chrysler that has a nitro hemi in it. it's got a bunch of chrome on it ,and polished (!) Magnesium wheels. I guess his car don't go ?
    another one, "my uncle had a car EXACTLY like this one!" ..really, it's took me years to build each piece on my car.
    or me and my buddy built a 2015 mustang... NO you didn't , you added stuff to it .I asked, "what part did you build"?, well they put headers on it, and 20" wheels.. oh yeah that's the same as building a car.. really?
    My coupe has a Hemi in it, people will ask me if it's a "crate motor" LS .. yeah.. sure.
    Man that's a cool rat rod,, grrrrrrr. everything is a rat-rod I guess, and a 32, or zz-top car.
    They call my roadster a dune buggy, I think I saw that on here already .
    O.K> that's enough for now.. bring it on haters

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Is that an old hurst? "
    OK, my last 2 builds did have kind of a similar theme/color...and I can't tell you how many times they both referred to as an old "hurst" (like the shifter)...and not a "hearse", which is what they really meant.
    32e.jpg pan3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like saying the opposite, "if it don't chrome go it". lots of very fast cars on here over the years with nothing but the chrome that came with it and NOTHING replated. chrome is expensive and fast costs even more.

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you drive a 59 Chevy over 100 MPH, the rear end comes off the ground. o_O They only will when you have too much to drink.

Actually, they are very stable cars. The front end on my 59 will lift some and the steering gets a bit lighter, at about 90 - 95 MPH. However, the rear end tends to squat a bit at this speed. Recently, a 59 Chevy was tested in a wind tunnel. The fins actually create a small amount of downforce.

2011_08_06_John's_59_-_tailfin_heaven.jpg

13. tim troutman

tim troutman

drove my F1 pickup to work one day .guy at work ask me what was modified on the grille .told him it was all stock except the crank hole was gone .and that I had 2 grilles that were bent at the bottom bars and had replace the bar with the crank hole with a good upper ones . he tells me that truck didn't have a crank hole . I said if your such an expert why did you ask

14. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I always understood that statement to mean: if the part doesn't move/rotate, then chrome it. You wouldn't chrome a crankshaft, rods, pistons, etc., but you could chrome a lot of others parts on the engine. I never took it to mean if the car doesn't go. But, after thinking about it, I guess it could be taken that way; as a lot of show cars don't go and they have lots of chrome. Makes me think of the Beach Boys' song "No Go Showboat".
    Don't know if I made much sense, but that's my 2 cents. Ron

chryslerfan55 and LAROKE like this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

General public has no idea what we're driving or working on - they're usually just trying to connect on some level about your car. Go easy on them.

When I met my wife, she called all cars prior to 1950 a "Dick Tracy Car" that was her frame of reference to any fendered car. :)

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

That has always been my understanding as well.

17. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

Lol, my wife calls them gangster cars, as in Al Capone and the like.

indyjps likes this.
  18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

ha, never heard that one ! Yeah , I even ask the people who tell me that, you got something you wanna race? 100% of the time..Naa , but my uncle had a fast camaro a long time ago.. .

19. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Man I love those cars, SOME DAY I'll have one !! LOL

Torkwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Ahhhh, maybe I was thinking backwards !! NOW I"M A DUMBASS ! thanks for bringing that up !! ALL THESE YEARS !! I was getting mad for nothing !! LOL THANK YOU!
    I thought it meant, if it's not fast , chrome it !! DUH

21. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

22. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Guys I'm in Austria and only ever saw another 64 Comet here once, believe you me I get the weirdest things said when the normies see my car. So far it has been identified as a Ford Lincoln Mercury Comet, Opel Admiral and (gasp) a GAZ Volga. Oh and you need to see the reactions when I say it has only the small 4.7L engine.

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

The way I heard the phrase was "If it won't go, chrome it and show it."

roder1935 likes this.
  24. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

that's what I always thought too .. : )

X-cpe likes this.
  25. i love the menacing look of a '34 ford grille.

26. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I had this 39 Tudor with a good flathead. It almost a daily driver. And people would say. "Why don't you put in a Chevy so you can drive it". I think that showed up their level of ignorance more than anything else. 20210127_091711.jpg

vor, 40FORDPU and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When my niece was four years old, she referred to my '53 Bel Air as "the round car".

29. ...had a lady at a local cruz night ask if my car was an old Volkswagen!
    upload_2023-1-20_7-43-0.jpeg

30. Welp.....................