Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Another Car, an Addiction Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 18, 2022.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

It never ends, this lifelong CarNut addiction. Here I am at 75, sold off my Hamb cars, still have 2 OT hot rods back in Wi.,1 OT in Az.I'm definitely thinking / procrastinating on selling off my lifetime accumulation of car "Stuff" tools, collections, etc. So........ what do I do, got the "itch", start looking around, I end up buying another car I don't need. Very lucky for me my wife understands the "Need/Want" deal and she encouraged me to find something for me here in AZ, our snowbird nest. We love the Winters here but I really miss my mancave/garage/hobby cars, the Snow/ Cold not so much, the Summer shows/cruises/racing as a spectator now back home in Wi. is what I do. Here in Az. I'm in a resort/rv park, the park has 101 rules, one being can't work on your car in your driveway under the carport, I have no tools or work area, hopefully I can make some new friends that have a garage/some tools, etc. I can now join in with cruises and local car show activity, Woo Hoo ! I'm a happy man, this is a big deal for me. Guessing I'm not the only guy with this problem, looking to make some new Az. friends with similar addiction/ problem. Hello, My name is John, I'm a CarNut.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, let’s not talk about it. The first rule of Fight Club is……..

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

so what’d you buy?

4. cabong

cabong

Might you be in Winslow, and did you buy a flatbed Ford ??

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Neither, but I do have a V8 60 midget I'm restoring. I bought a Kool cruiser, Cannot talk specifics on purchase as it would most likely end this thread, I'm looking to make some new friends in the valley, I'm in Apache Junction, the east side of the valley. Check my albums for some of my history.

OzMerc39 likes this.
  6. Admission is the first step in recovery. :p

Although, as addictions go, this hobby is WAY more expensive than opioids or cocaine :D

7. SS327

SS327

I hope there is no cure! Hi my name is Denny and I’m a car nut!

8. Congrats on the car. Have fun. I handle the addiction thing a little differently. Kid that adopted me stores his 65 Stang road racer in the shop. Car has all the trick suspension mods, a high winding 302, C4 automatic with Gear Vendors over drive and a 4:11 rear. He never drives it, says it's too boring. So when I get the itch, I just tell him I'm going to check his tires for flat-spotting, disconnect the battery tender and go for a drive. After about an hour the itch is scratched. It's a win-win for me. He keeps the tank full, does the maintenance and even has the instructions to operate the overdrive taped to the dash(says he doesn't trust my memory... lol). All the gains without the pains....

41 GMC K-18, SS327, OzMerc39 and 4 others like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

You're a lucky man, Agree ! all the fun free of the rest of it, Good things happen to good people, Enjoy !

10. I too suffer the same addiction....or similar. The SEGA racing group calls it Quaincain. I'm selling off some hot rods so I can spend more on an old school race car. I'm in Chandler, near 101 and Elliot with lots of room. Give me a PM and we can get together.

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

All addictions are managed to some degree but never totally recovered. Some are quit cold turkey and some are managed, like over eating, I believe the automotive addiction falls into that category. Some can manage some can't...

12. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

I can identify with your addiction!!!!!

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That may be, but you're not the only one!;)

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

My addiction got scratched a bit today. My son brought over his latest project for some minor fixes, in my heated shop.
    I got to do a few things I really like to do, instruct him and guide him on how he did a few things I know how, but he wanted to learn, and then watched as he did the things I didn't really want to do.

It was a great day!

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in my desire to succumb to my addiction and escape the doldrums and stresses of this present day world by immersing myself in the altered state of traditional hot rodding.

Journey to the Center of the Garage!

16. indyjps

indyjps

Just get a newer V8 - manual (must*ng, challeg*r, vette, camar*) and beat the hell out of it. Let the next guy restore it.

Yeah yeah it's a crazy idea, but If you can't work on it in AZ......

wicarnut and OzMerc39 like this.
  17. I have just retired ... almost 1 year now. :eek:

As this year has progressed I find myself doing more and more on my cars. That includes considering a full resto on my '64 Ford, which I have owned and had on the road for the last 26 years. In my head that is a BIG project. Reading through this it looks like I need to 1st admit that I am a 'car nut', and then work on my recovery ;)

I can share my addiction here with peace of mind that I'm not alone....:cool: Phew...!!!

Thanks for sharing Wicarnut. Enjoy your new machine.

18. The first step is admitting you have a problem. No problem here. B9189844-A7A7-406F-8A35-0C2244193E37.jpeg That’s not all of them….

19. indyjps

indyjps

Love it. Couple well placed arborvitae bushes it would all disappear from any Look-ee Lou's. If you're away from town even better.

Bill's Auto Works and wicarnut like this.
  20. I’m way out of town, can’t see any of my cars unless you drive through my yard, including from the main yard/house

wicarnut and indyjps like this.
  21. Mo rust

Mo rust

I'm addicted to the point that my wife teases me that I need an intervention. I can't seem to stop buying projects and parts to build the cars that I keep dreaming up. Today I'm trying to work out shipping so I can buy a pair of 31 Vicky doors that I want to use on a 31 pickup.

OzMerc39 and wicarnut like this.
  22. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

X2!!

wicarnut likes this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I too spend winters in an Rv park in Florida. I do miss having the old clunkers down there. I think I miss more the winters spent working on my stuff in the garage. I don’t miss snow and cold. Am more active in Florida walking biking fishing beaching. I suppose it’s more healthy. Can’t afford to drag a car down there. Storage and transport is outrageous. It rough having to retire. :)

24. Hello My Name Is Bill & I Am a Car-Nut:rolleyes:

What do you do when you 88x56 building isn't big enough to handle your addiction.....You hide a container behind it, so you can fit two more!:D

Truth be told, next spring I will put a sloped roof on it & cover it with the same metal as the building so you won't be able to tell it is a container

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
    20211025_120519 (800x600).jpg

OzMerc39, wicarnut and rod1 like this.
  25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ahhh..... the Self Confession posts.
    Addictions are a battle between want, need and reality.
    I want it, I know I don't need it, but the reality is you will find a way to fulfill that want feeling.