Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firestone tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Nov 14, 2022.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Today I order Firestone tires from Coker, with freight to AL and tubes it was 1.200 USD.
    I thought they was on backorders but they was in stock.
    As I'm inspired of Larry Rollers 32 3W coupe I read it was 7.50 ( from a magazine ) and 4.50 in front ( x16" )
    I has the same 40 Ford 4" in front and Merc 5" at rear.
    But now when I looked, do he really has the 7.50 back and the 4.50 in front ?
    It look like smaller at rear and bigger in front as the mag said.

This car is in Sweden and for sale and its a real cool slim car and I know it has 7.50/4.50.
    It is one of the coolest car I has ever seen, look like 200 MPH standing still..

Ford Coupe 3-W Model 40 Real Henry Steel Rolling Bones 1934. säljes i Enköping | Blocket

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

4.50/7.50 Great combination for an early style lakes car. Done it several times.

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I hope you've done a lot of reading about those tires. There are a lot of folks not happy with the tires that outfit sells. From what I hear from car guys at cruises, there tires are for show cars that get trailored.

4. 3w Hank

3w Hank

:- ))
    Are something special on this bias ?
    Bias is not totally uncommon on older cars.
    Will one has a better tire one will not use this ones, but I’m thinking is this ’Firestone’ from Coker tire ( guess made in India etc ) a bad bias ?
    I will not go that long trips in this coupe and modern tires is totally out.
    I will say I has no clue what to ecpect but I don’t expect much.
    The black chopped 34 I showed was going maybe 2-3 hours drive when I meet the owner.
    He said this this cars is not a easy thing, chopped, noisy, hard steering, black paint is a killer to use etc etc but said nothing on tires.
    But I guess its not a dream ride to use it.
    But I’m nog building a modern street rod, more a ’tractor’..

I read the new owner of Larry Rollings coupe did take it for a bigger trips and its not even side window, still Coker bias.

-But, has anyone the idea of tire size of that car ?
    See picture and it not look like 4.5/7.5.

Attached Files:

5. Hank….I had Firestones on my ‘36 3 window coupe (now sold) and had no issues. I did have them “trued” up/shaved…..
    65F817F0-E09B-465C-9A4F-EEB884A5942D.jpeg

okiedokie, Outback and caprockfabshop like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Those might be 5.00x16 on the front of Larry's coupe, but they are definitely 7.50x16 on the rear.

Outback likes this.
  7. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Read new owner Bruce Meyers drove 1400 miles one way in that 3W.
    Ok SB Chevy and modern 5-speed and better rearaxle, stiffer chassie etc but still bias tires.
    I will std frame and use Ardun heads on a 59A, LZ trans, 37 rearaxle, Arbun clutch/alu flywheel, QC, A-Ford rearspring, Ford 40 brakes.
    But its just for minor trips, and if more I trailer it.
    This is a time machine, I’m aware as I like it that way.
    Its local nice day to get a icecream.
    More or less open header, race fuel for the smell.
    Crazy, yes.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bruce-drove-it-from-l-a-to-deuce-days.1026959/

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Just Gary, Outback and williebill like this.
  8. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those complaints are with Coker's own brand tires, not with the Firestone tires. The Firestone Bias Plies are really well regarded in the traditional community. Not without the usual concerns, but a great wearing and long lasting choice!

~Peter

Outback and panhead_pete like this.
  9. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Just FYI, if ya order them thru Summit, you get free shipping.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

no they are in fact talking about the firestones that Coker makes. They are more often than not out of round and need shaved. This horse has been beat so much we are all just standing around kicking air at this point.

is what it is, no one else makes them. Find someone who shaves them or find a good spot to smoke them until they are round. All part of the game at this point.

Plenty of people drive on them daily, you’ve just got a fantastic chance of having to deal with one or more of them not actually being round

Irish Mike likes this.
  11. Not when you live in Sweden like the OP.

12. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I have some that I would like to have shaved, but unfortunately I have not been able to find anyone here in the Anchorage, Alaska area that can do it. still searching though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Outback likes this.
  13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Would be a great tech week topic. DIY Shaving rag tyres...

Alaska Jim and Chucky like this.
  14. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Pretty sure Coker owns the Firestone molds. I had a set on my Tudor when it was first on the road (2010) 7.50s & 5.00/525 "Gummed dipped" They looked bitchin on steelies and caps but as Tim posted above you must 'shave' bias ply tires to get them round or they will be rough & shaky. I took mine off at the 50% wear point.(8000 km) and went to radials, just cause I put a lot of miles on mine, same old story, no one in the area does truing (shaving) of bias ply. Should any one in Alberta know of a shop that does, please let me know. I wouldn't spend for another set unless I can get them done.

Alaska Jim likes this.
  15. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

When I was in high school I worked at a gas station that sold tires. We had a tire shaving machine, but it just seemed wrong to me to shave new tread off of new tires! On my daily driver pickup I have a set of winter tires and summer tires mounted on separate Wheels. Why not run your radials on Long high speed trips and save your Firestones for around town and car shows. I have Firestones on my old Model A. 20220603_103638.jpg

egads and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

In the search for tire shaving machines, look to retreaders. The first thing they do is grind off the existing tread and make the carcass a certain diameter. They are set up to do trucks (these days) and may have a hard time with "little" tires. Worth a shot.

@Alaska Jim In Anchorage, GCR Tires and Service is listed as a Bandag retreader.
    1150 E INTL AIRPORT, ANCHORAGE , AK 99518-1407
    907-562-2010

Mike

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  17. 6.00 x16 front and rear on my 36.. but that combo should look great on an open wheel car . 1936 at UPS.jpg

Irish Mike and continentaljohn like this.