Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop
    I know its a low priority item, but I would really like to see that crumpled up, vintage plate, get some attention and at least try to get it uncrumpled, as much as you can, its worth saving as well.

Anvil Banger (2).jpg

Stogy, 48fordnut, Ragged Edge and 2 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff man :)

Stogy likes this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good stuff! Pedals are always a big deal.
    I think the old plate has earned a good place to rest while just being what it has become. It has a story. What was it bolted to using modified Ford tie rod clips? Not something stock I'm sure. How did it get so crumpled and detached from the car? Was it the result of a bad end to one of those outlaw drag races the hot rod movies were full of? Did it come off during a high speed chase when a moonshiner took to the woods to escape? You're the writer make up a story for it and use its appearance as the proof.:cool:

4. As far as your license plate mounting clips, they look to me to be original Model A license plate mounting clips. All of the Ford tie rod clamps that I have seen had embossed ribs running around them from end to end.
    I

5. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Agree with Nick....think those are the real deal Joey. This is an original set off a 29:
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Stogy, Hamtown Al, Outback and 4 others like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Well Damn! No story there, no one ever crumpled a plate on a stock Model A doing something exciting. Stay away from that story Joey! :rolleyes:

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  7. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Where’s Waldo?!
    8E080F1D-DDCD-41C9-8A74-0200846F955C.jpeg
    Double Agent Joey undercover @ SEMA!
    Very cool to get to say HI!

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Hamtown Al and 13 others like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hmmm has the mustache and camera but that’s a pretty conventional hat. I’m gonna need to see some credentials

Stogy, tr_rodder, Woogeroo and 2 others like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_9244.jpg
    After a very full and eventful week in Las Vegas, I'm finally back home in San Francisco. I had a handful of parts waiting on my doorstep, and I took my roadster for a nighttime drive out to dinner in the Haight. When I pulled back into the driveway, I reminded the car how happy I was to see it again. I know I keep on saying it, but it does feel good to be back.

Full replies and updates happening soon.

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, Outback and 12 others like this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The kid cleans up...business professional :D

BTW - Did I see a earlier Stogy post 2709 pic of a Ride Tech shock w/ castle nut - no safety cotter pin ?

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

With out scrolling back I’d assume no pin because it’s coming together and apart a dozen more times this week?

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. Agree with Tim, same photo shows a bolt and nut rather than the locking pin on the king pin.

14. If that castle nut came loose, @Stogy might have a 'shock'ing experience... :rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

DFBE4644-E055-415F-8EB4-325E1DFC47D7.jpeg
    So many updates for both versions in the works. In the meantime, here’s a postcard from this weekend’s North Bay reliability run/camping trip.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Staying tuned

Stogy, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I think there's a bunyip in the bush eyeing off your roadster!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I love that I can look at the time stamps of replies and I’m not the only one that’s figured out that Joey posts updates between 12-and 2 am on Friday and Saturday nights lol

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Something's lurking out there, that's for sure!

More like between 9-12 every night!

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As I mentioned earlier, the last two weeks have been filled with non-stop action. 302427E8-5CC7-4BBD-BD64-590EDBE1BF09.jpg
    I'll be writing about my SEMA adventures in an upcoming Jalopy Journal article. This was one of my favorite shots from the Shifters' 30th anniversary movie premier on Fremont Street.
    IMG_9059.jpg
    Of course, I was loving the neon.
    IMG_9064.jpg
    And the hot rods too. Longtime readers will remember this flathead-powered three-window from my GNRS coverage back in January. Looks even better out on the streets of Las Vegas.

Stogy, Six Ball, Ragged Edge and 11 others like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last Monday, I drove down to San Francisco International Airport long after dark. Once I hit the arrivals level, I started scanning for a familiar face. Moments later, I saw him. It was my brother, Andrew, all the way from Michigan. From the moment he jumped into my truck, the good times started rolling, as they say.

As we pulled up to Loyola Terrace, we talked about all the fun things we planned to take on during his six day visit. From kickball to camping, sushi to motorcycle shops, we had a big week ahead of us. Before we went into the house, I had to show him the garage. Although the roadster didn't look much different than it did when he last visited, it has come a long way performance wise. The following morning, I took him for his first Model A roadster ride.
    IMG_5743.jpg
    We covered one of my favorite routes through the Inner Richmond, and then stopped for some World Famous Turkey Sandwiches at Arguello Market.
    IMG_9299.jpg
    And we even had a new friend sit with us, too.
    IMG_5746.jpg
    As you can see, it rained for a little bit, but that didn't matter. We were running it! Note hat on carb.
    IMG_9308.jpg
    With our camping trip on the horizon, we took two of my motorcycles to the auto parts store to get oil for the roadster.
    IMG_9310.jpg
    Andrew servicing the banjo.
    IMG_9314.jpg
    Job well done—all before dinnertime!

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve never even considered it, but do non car people have a favorite route/ road/ loop?

it seems like such a given for us?

enjoying the dastardly duo update :)

Stogy, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The following morning, we made our way up to di Falco Fabrications to work on Version 2.0. Our goal? Get the flathead running. The plan of attack was straightforward. Replace the water pumps, bolt on the intake and install the Pertronix. As you can see, Rat Fink hats were a must!
    IMG_9319.jpg
    Off went the grille shell, radiator, license plate and old water pumps.
    IMG_9321.jpg
    I then cleaned the mating surface to ensure a good fit.
    IMG_9325.jpg
    The driver's side pump required a little finessing with the belt sander, but we made it fit no problem. Andrew cleaned up all hardware on the wire wheel and then anti-seized it before putting it back into position.
    IMG_9329.jpg
    Andrew and I then disassembled the crab distributor. David provided some excellent insight on how to make the Pertronix plate fit.
    IMG_9332.jpg
    The old. I forgot to take a picture of the fresh system. I will next time!
    IMG_9334.jpg
    As Andrew finished the distributor, I focused on cutting the ignition wires to length. @Hitchhiker provided the wire looms, which are perfect for this project.
    IMG_9335.jpg
    That concluded our Wednesday at the shop. It was so much fun working with two of my favorite people on my favorite project. Even though David and I had been chipping away at this for over a year, it felt as if Andrew had been working with us the whole time. As the sun set on Petaluma, I couldn't help but be excited for the next few days of hot rod fun.

25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop
    When I first looked at this picture, the roadster in front of the yellow car looked very familiar, there was no mistaking the color of the roadster, the stance, the roll bar, and the tires and of course, the license plate.
    That is Squeak Bell's, " Bell-Byrd Special "
    So cool that he was there to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Shifter's.
    I hope you got to meet him.
    Thanks from Dennis.

Bell Byrd Special.JPG dh222.jpg DSC_3513 (2).JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    catdad49, Stogy, OzMerc39 and 7 others like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Brothers are wonderful things. Enjoy 'em while you got 'em! I miss mine. :(

catdad49, Stogy, Outback and 2 others like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A slight intermission before we jump back into the latest on Version 2.0. The full story of the camping trip is live on The Jalopy Journal, which you can read here if you'd like.

As an added bonus, my brother made a video of our travels. Check it out below!

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Nice video and nice soundtrack.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff, “up in smoke” gave me a chuckle

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  30. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Great progress & a cool lil vid. It's exciting seeing your ole A develop from all the way down here!