Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When does a Garage become a Shop............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Oct 31, 2022.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Bama;
    You're on the right track. You'll get there. I can relate to not much indoor-working-space. I can also relate to not liking 50*F & less, except my dislike starts @ ~65*F, & my enthusiasm drops along w/the mercury. At least here we only have shitty weather ~8 mo out of the year, & the White Miserable Shit from Hell, which adds insult to injury, only lasts ~5-6 mo each year. Yah, I'm in the wrong place... ;( .
    Marcus...

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Had a neighbor that lived in a corner house and they wouldn't let him build an attached garage on the back of his house...............but they would approve a carport.

He built the carport.

Then the next spring he added a wall to the back end of it.

Then the next spring he added a side wall to it..............

Then the next spring...........well you get the idea :D

3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

But how about the snowmobiling? I'm too busted up to ride anymore, but if I wasn't, I'd like snow for 5 to 6 months...

On second thought, nah! You can keep it!

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

thanks, Admission is free....

crazycasey likes this.
  5. Maybe when I go out there to visit @saltflatmatt I can come take the tour. :)

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Matt has been here a bunch of times.....

crazycasey likes this.
  7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

The *only possible* good thing about WMSfH, is tearing up the MWSfH, if & when, I get the Weasel repaired/finished - & that's on a very distant back-burner, sadly. Well, actually, 2 other "good" things about the MWSfH are: the MN State-bird(mosquito) & the blood-sucking-Lymes-infested-demons-from-hell are usually absent when the MWSfH is on the ground([tics] - uhm, I'm talking about the little multi-legged ones, not the political ones which can't be gotten rid of).
    Marcus...

8. Budget36

Budget36

Okay, have to ask, what is the MWSfH?
    Im assuming it’s Minnesota related, but Google just showed clothing.

9. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Shop by day and garage by night.

IMG_0679.jpg

John Lee Williamson and 41 coupe like this.
  10. When the milling machine shows up, your garage becomes a shop.

Budget36 and crazycasey like this.
  11. SDS

SDS

What's the band's name? "3 old guys and a young chick" ?

12. finn

finn

If it has a welder, air compressor, blast cabinet, and rolling tool box, it’s a sho.

A lift clinches the deal.

If it has lawnmowers, a Kayak, and bicycle, it’s a garage.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  13. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

When does a garage become a shop? When you quit worrying about what you call it and actually do some work!

14. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Lol, pretty much. The young girl is my 13 year old daughter. She plays solo, with the guitarist as a duo, or with the band depending on the gig.

Here she is playing on of her original songs solo.

Her as a duo.

And a clip full band...

Budget36 and impala4speed like this.
  15. Imagine a government official making you wait for four years to start living your dream. I’ve got too many friends who I saw die far too young to put up with that kind of garbage.

BradinNC likes this.
  16. I (mostly) put myself through college painting cars in a two car residential garage. Then I ran a small but successful repair shop out of said garage for a few more years. After that, I built at least a half dozen cars in that same two car garage. I never actually referred to it as a shop until I moved in the lathe (followed by a milling machine a couple of months later). :)

ekimneirbo likes this.
  17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My difference is as follows in todays world. This will ruffle someone's feathers I'm sure.

1. Garage, storage for cars and junk.
    2. Shop, where cars and junk gets built.

Shop or Garage terminology was used to describe both things over the years, look at how many "Garages" built cars or fixed them... Astounding. So either way you call it, its not wrong.

I'd say if your storing vehicles and you don't build or never have, and you call your place "A shop" Its false pretenses in todays world and we may need to revoke your man card. Only way your man card stays in tact if you have a wood workshop, forge, or other cool craft. Sorry not sorry...

Keep on building or tinkering guys... It doesn't matter the square footage of what you have, its how you use it.

Few months ago, I went from Black and Silver to Teal with alot of extra work for another 1.5" drop But the payout was worth it all right here in this little shop. Both paintjobs and all work done right here in this 2 car garage. Build it, enjoy it, change it, repeat.
    56-1.jpg 56-45.jpg

Joe Troilo likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

She’s got talent, loved the solo and duet, not quite the band support for a little LZ though;).
    Good stuff!

19. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At my house, the garage is where I park the daily drivers and do oil changes and other light maintenance. The shop is for fab and longer-term work.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When I bought my milling machine some thirty years ago all I had was an attached 3 car garage.............
    So I "parked" it next to my lathe. Its still there.

Later I built a 40x60 Pole Barn that is populated with lots of other tools like brakes,shear,and welders along with a 2 post lift and a couple of overhead cranes. Thats where the bulk of my work is performed.......so I call that my "Shop".

But the Garage has the Lathe and Mill for special work, and a tire changer and balancer......I think I'll call it the "Grop" from now on.:p

I think the building that I always manage to get dirty while I'm in there is the real "Shop";)

21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

What's the difference between a soda and a pop?
    76a29a44-359f-4b36-b13b-6dace9604d16_text.gif

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  22. SDS

SDS

Wow, you got a talented one there!

Joe Troilo and fordf1trucknut like this.
  23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Soda is what we drink up here in the northeast. Pop was the guy that raised us!

Lived in Ohio and Michigan for a number of years. Out there they drank pop. And soda was either something to bake with, or a drink made with ice cream.

210superair and ekimneirbo like this.
  24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Garage criteria when I bought my house: No washer/dryer, no bicycles, no garden equipment, no kids toys. Room for at least 2 cars. Room to expand a bit. I was just happy yo have my own garage. Mind you, this was 32 years ago when I was only 28.
    I have a 10x20 breezeway between the house and garage. This is my "shop". I enclosed most of that area (2/3) and is has tool boxes, work benches, storage up high and such. The unenclosed 1/3 is my "open air" part of the shop with a bead blaster and the area where do whatever piecemeal work. And no TV. If I want to watch TV, I will go into the house.

ekimneirbo and crazycasey like this.
  25. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Thanks!!!