Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 350 Chevy or 351w into a 50 merc coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sickboys50, Sep 19, 2022.

?
  1. 350 chevy

130 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. 351 Windsor or Cleveland

79 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. Sickboys50

Sickboys50

I dont get to post much....however I am definitely still here! I am used to the tribalism in pretty much everything....so its nothing new to me in classic cars. I DID glean some great info in this thread so I am very grateful for that. the HAMB is my new home....cant make me leave ;)

Now I have to post DOOR pulling info

ffr1222k, arkiehotrods, Tman and 6 others like this.
  2. Sickboys50

Sickboys50

BTW. SBC won nearly 2 to 1

3. That’s usually what happens at the track

swade41, Baumi, Budget36 and 6 others like this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Stirring the pot! :D :D

5. RmK57

RmK57

At super Chevy Sunday event I'm sure it does.

6. Truth isn’t stirring

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Excellent lol :p

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  8. My Merc has a 400 Ford, but I have to run an early Bronco oil pan to clear the crossmember. Even though I wouldn't myself, 350 Chevy with a turbo 350 is pretty easy to do. Plus he can get parts anywhere. Lots of guys run them and you can dress them up with period correct parts. Or do what I do, and never open the hood. lol...

9. Budget36

Budget36

Good to see the OP back.

Sickboys50 and anthony myrick like this.
  10. Don't make decisions based on HAMB opinions. Build based on what YOU like and what YOU can afford. Not all of us can afford period parts. There a lot of guys on here that have traditional "LOOKING" cars, but have non traditional drive lines.

11. twenty8

twenty8

Very good advice. Opinions are great, but they should only be used to help you make your own decisions.

Davesblue50 and Sickboys50 like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the most easily obtainable (budget) and easiest to install engine and transmission.

Whatever gets it on the road, and a smile on the face of the driver the quickest is the correct choice.

13. for the die hard ford guys. Finally seen one in person
    F29659FA-6CF3-49BA-B86C-E09794990452.jpeg
    this was at a swap meet yesterday. GM truck with a Ford engine.

chevyfordman and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One-in-a-row!

15. One out of over 1k vehicles there.
    Probably the only one in a c30 or in the world Super rare.
    Was offered at $600 I think

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well, I use to joke that there must have been a lot of Corvette's out there with flatheads because everybody used to brag, they had a Corvette engine in their hot rods! lol Larry

17. topher5150

topher5150

There is a pic out there of a 1st gent Camaro running a flathead.

18. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The guy that built it was Clarence Everett, there is a thread on here called Oregon Flatheads which is about Mr. Everett and his cars. Camaro was an original 396 SS lol Larry

19. harleyddad

harleyddad

Good on you for doing this with your son, these times will stay with them for a lifetime. Build it, drive it, then if he wants to change things later he can. Good luck, drive safe.

topher5150 likes this.
  20. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Why take such a narrow view. There are many more motors to choose from than the common generic options like everybody else does. A nailhead or early olds would be great options. An early hemi. Thay would create a lot more interest when the hood is is open than, "oh another small block. Must be a budget build. He couldn't afford anything else".

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  21. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Yea well sheep can't think outside the box. There is a lot of ignorance out the that other motors can't be maintained or built as well. If you do what everybody else does you end up with a car just like everybody else has. Nothing of interest.

22. You are ignoring the fact that this is a 16 year old on his first build (and a fair assumption would include a limited budget.) That was part of the original question. I don't know how well you would be able to afford or go about a build on an early hemi if you were 16. Apart from anything else, a large chunk of participating in this hobby is about being practical. A SBC would be practical from an ease and affordability perspective for a 16 year old.

Tman, INVISIBLEKID, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  23. ^^^^ The OP's fifth post stated he wanted to go the most economical method. While Nailheads, early Olds or Hemis would be cool, way expensive. Agreed there other cool engines out there, but not the question the OP asked.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Tman likes this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

For your kid…might want to do one of those newer non- H.A.M.B. friendly Chevy engines…just saying.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

I've had comments like that about engines in my Hot Rods.

One was a Vs57 blown '57 Vette engine, the other was a 292 Y-Block. :)
    Neither one was a budget engine...

But it did tell me a lot about some of the people who loudly need to vent their disapproval.
    A lot of them have no idea what they are looking at, but they think they can score cool points by dismissing the SBC.

And what the quoted post shows, is that some people apparently will choose an engine " to create interest"

And that is just sad...

Choose whatever you like, if it makes you happy.

But to choose an engine to try and impress people you've never met makes no sense to me.

Seems to me something must have gone horribly wrong in a persons life, if they need approval that much... :) :)

26. I had a 351 in my 50 Ford coupe, fit like a glove and ran like Jack the Bear! HRP

[​IMG]

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.