Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The State of the Union: How to Price Parts in This Crazy Economy; a Moral Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazycasey, Nov 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="crazycasey, post: 14666989, member: 53351 AND the Facebook Marketplace groups usually require you to name your price.[/QUOTE]
    The HAMB requires you to name your price. I've had occasion to call out a few members who forgot that rule.

crazycasey and warbird1 like this.
  2. Jagmech

Jagmech

Get as much as you can now, while the getting is good, there's no telling how long the "good" is going to last. These old hot rod parts are not going to bring big prices for ever, think about the market that's buying our stuff, however if you come across old Ferrari, Bugatti, Alfa stuff, buy and hold, that should continue to be valuable to a select market that will hopefully will be around longer. I have sold my hot rod, muscle car crap while it still has some interest, did the same thing in 2009 when things, economy wise looked a little iffy, my timing was off, this time I think the economy is alot more iffy. Good luck.

crazycasey likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

An old friend of mine that spent years owning a used car lot had sage advice.
    He said a fast nickel is always better than a slow dime.

I set a price in my mind for parts and never look back. Same with cars. Once you buy it, it's yours and I
    hope you can turn a profit on it. By the same token, if it doesn't work out, it's
    still yours.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  4. I remember in late 80s early 90 (I was about 8 or 9) my dad had a fair amount of 427 Ford parts he took been to several local swapmeets and couldn't sell it.

He decided to give it a try at Ford Motorsports in Reading PA and was laterally selling it before it hit the ground and people were buying out of the truck of our car.

People were telling him he was selling it way to cheap but he hadn't been able to sell it for the same prices locally.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have also seen quite a few people so bent on holding out for top dollar for every single thing that they had, that they remained so surrounded by parts that they did not have enough space to complete any of their own builds, ever.

As soon as they were at the old-folks home, in came the scrapper, followed by the real estate agents.

Maybe these are things that are more clear in my mind, because I am still working, and I live in a place where real estate is expensive.

My time is not free, and where things sit costs money. If that space is not being used, it is a storage bill.

It won't take long before the cost of that square-footage eclipses the value of what is sitting on it.

In my case, that must remain an active workspace, and everything extra gets put back in the parts stream for others to use.

There are no "slow dimes" here. There are only "slow dollars".

6. If you are happy with the selling price and the buyer is happy with the price what else matters? If I sell something and someone else makes a buck off it doesn’t bother me a bit

7. jimpopper

jimpopper

With inflation and people starting with rougher and less complete cars, the ability to afford all the requisite speed parts to create an accepted as authentic quality ride goes away. There's still a place for artistic fabrication and improved design, proportions and desirability but, the days of filling up your car with every top dollar rare speed part is slipping past us. You pick and choose a few trinkets and leave other things out. An example of that is perfect shiny paint and arrow straight bodywork. It's sad that it has come to this but back in the day, builders still faced hard times and a need for restraint so this is nothing really new.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

We still live in a capitalistic society.
    Do your comps and price accordingly.
    Never look back.
    I have my own saying.
    I sell the past,I don't live in it.

AHotRod, X-cpe, crazycasey and 2 others like this.
  9. This thread is much ado about nothing.
    If you want to sell stuff, put a price on it. It’s been that way for thousands of years.

clem, lumpy 63, wraymen and 7 others like this.
  10. 327Eric

327Eric

IMG_20210530_130345.jpg What's it worth is subjective. I got everything here free, with the exception of the intake which I paid 250 bucks for. Everyone was Happy. If I sell I will price for top dollar, and react accordingly I don't have a title for the truck yet, so it's value is low, despite what the internet says. IMG_20210509_221432.jpg

AHotRod and crazycasey like this.
  11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

You mention 2007. What were you getting for pay then compared to now?

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, you have to know your market. If I show up at swap meets that are turning more and more into Chevyfests with a load of flathead stuff, I can pretty much be assured that I'm going home with most, if not all, of the stuff I brought.

crazycasey and Bob Lowry like this.
  13. Whenever you decide to sell the parts, put the price in the ad. I see these “call for price” ads and I just think the seller is lonely and needs to talk to someone…..

warbird1, V8-m, crazycasey and 5 others like this.
  14. Another point to ponder. if I may...
    You also have to figure out your 'hourly wage'. The bottom line at tax time is how much you've earned for how many hours you've worked. If I sell you an Edmonds manifold for $150 and all you have to is pull it out of the box and sell it for $300, that's a damned good hourly wage. But... if I sell it to you for $150 and it takes you 6 hours to get it ready to sell, your hourly wage just tanked. So, the real question becomes: can I make a reasonable profit that will attract buyers and turn $$ while still maintaining (and building) a solid reputation? Our hobby cars are just that.... a hobby (even though some people think their amateur skills should be worth $100/hour), but your goal is quite different. And don't forget... a hobby can becomes a JOB when you have to depend on it to put food on the table, so it can be soul and morals-sucking in the end
    You are wise to get all this input before taking the plunge, it's not an easy choice to make. Good luck!
    For what it's worth... I don't pay a damned bit of attention to items posted as 'make offer' on sales signs. The seller should know what price they want and suffer a 'no sale' if they are obviously being greedy.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    AHotRod, Jagmech, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Brilliantly... Spot-On!

Carter, crazycasey and alanp561 like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it does not sell, the price is too high.

Lower it.

And, I might add, every minute that you are holding out for that "special price" and not getting it is one more minute that your part is not going into a build, and out on the road.

That is dedication to money, and not the hobby, so we know where on the spectrum you fall.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Carter, crazycasey, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  17. This whole thread reminds me of that old joke. Stockbroker to pencil peddler on the corner of Wall St.

Broker, "How much for a pencil?"
    Peddler, "10,000 each"
    Broker, "Sell many?"
    Peddler, "Just gotta sell one"

Also something that hasn't been memtioned here. Size and weight should also dictate your price point. 15 intake manifolds are gonna be easier to store/ship/lug around than say 15 Dana 60 rearends.

crazycasey and alanp561 like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, but the buyers for the Dana 60's will come to me, and they will be gone in 7-days, unless the buyers want full-float snouts welded on and them packed with gears, lockers, and alloy axles, etc.

19. 34Phil

34Phil

What I'm seeing is high price for things people can pry off old cars, glove box doors, garnish moldings, grilles, headlights and taillights, etc. so a found car will need these and they can double the price of the car. West coast guys have more sources but it's mostly ebay for the east coast. I've got a $125 glove box door with a $75 lock and still need the $50 cardboard. I'll be cutting up some Ford garnish moldings to fit the Olds.

crazycasey and alanp561 like this.
  20. I disagree. It’s incredibly informative. It’s market research. I’ve got an excellently diverse cross-section here, and I’m reading every word and storing it away. For someone who’s been out of touch for a while, this feedback is incredibly valuable.

I agree that you have to figure out your minimum hourly wage and strive to make it, but you also have to be ok with making $300+/hr whenever you can, because sometimes you’re going to get stuck making $10/hr whether you like it or not, despite your best laid plans.

Wasn’t it?

It’s a fair point…

Hahaha! And good point about the big (and heavy) stuff. I once bought an entire 24’ trailer full of early Hemi’s and speed parts. I think I gave $6,000 for it, and it took up my entire garage for a month. Luckily I had developed the clientele to unload those parts before I ever pulled the trigger on the deal. Made a good bit of money on that one.

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your parts are worth exactly what you are willing to sell them for and what someone is willing to pay you for them right at that time, that day.

If you don't NEED the money, then price it a little higher and see what offers you get.

If you NEED the money then it better be a damn good deal and your message box should/ will be active.

Either way what ever price you put, you will be offered less.
    Been that way since I've been breathing.

When you are dealing with dealers, they don't like to deal with other dealers because each one wants to come out on top and loath the thought some one made a buck more then they did selling their old part they were trying to make a buck off of YOU.

I've seen both cars and parts on sale on here for years with a LOT of bumps.
    As a matter of fact, I've permanently deleted - deleted bumps to get rid of pages of wasted deleted bumps that takes up space, of course leaving their last current bump.

I think one time, someone has had something on here for sale that I deleted like 80-100 deleted bumps.
    I'm sure when they logged back on their reaction was WTF happened to all my deleted bumps.
    Hint....

When the ads or free - ( THANK YOU RYAN) fishing costs you nothing but a little time.

We have a "what's it worth" post area.
    Why don't you post a few items and see for yourself.
    But be prepared to get from a dollar to a thousand opinions.

22. Ryan, has made a place for what's it worth questions, This thread needs to be moved to the appropriate section. HRP

alanp561 and wraymen like this.
  23. Maybe I’m just hanging on this part of what you said a bit too much. But you did say “instead of”…

I kind of got into it with Moriarity over this same thing (after he moved my original post to the “What’s it Worth” section). I get that you mods have a job to do. And I get that bandwidth and storage space are both issues when a site has been around as long as the HAMB. But is there no value to the discussion, anymore? Is this thread “a waste of time”? Sure! So are half of the threads on here. One could argue the whole darn thing is [a waste of time].

But if you’re into buying and selling old car parts, then there’s some interesting dialogue and conjecture dispersed throughout this thread’s two pages (so far). Gimpy’s points are particularly poignant, and there’s some sage advice for folks that think they might quit their day jobs to buy and sell old car parts.

I’ve personally found the discussion incredibly valuable, and this engagement wouldn’t have happened if I had made a post in the “What’s it Worth” section. It has been a reason to be on the HAMB again the past couple of days. It’s made me feel a little guilty that I haven’t updated my build thread in almost a year. It’s made me ponder renewing my Alliance membership again. But I can’t help but perceive this undertone of annoyance from the mods that I’m just taking up bandwidth instead of “contributing”, and quite frankly there are too many other options for discussion spaces on the internet if that’s the vibe at the HAMB nowadays.

24. Did you even read the main post? I’m not asking what something is worth. I’m asking what effects the current economic state of the US, and the world at large, is having on old car collecting. As well as where the minds of the people collecting and building this stuff are at in November of 2022. I’ve started a discussion, and it’s been informative.

If you think it needs to be in the “What’s it Worth” section, then tell me what it is I am trying to determine the price of?

25. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

There are several inflation calculator’s on the internet this being just one https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1958?amount=0.25 It calculated $400 in 2007 is about $572 in todays money. I sell some stuff on eBay mostly at “Buy it Now” and initially set the price higher then start reducing prices every week or two until it sells. Just because you think something has a certain value doesn’t have any relationship to what it will actually sell for. I know people that have hordes of “stuff”that they still have and probably will continue to have because they won’t face the reality that their price is too high or there just isn’t any market for the stuff they have. There is always a buyer out there but the market always determines the price if you aren’t too stubborn to realize it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Never did I say this is a waste of time.
    You said you were collecting over the years and presumed you were wondering what some of your old parts might be worth.

Thus directing you to a area that we have
    “what’s it worth”

If your looking into the future and asking what we think….. ok.

Nothing ever stays still, I’m the last of the Baby Boomer generation and thus fellas that were youth in the 30’s/ 40’s and 50’s are passing away daily.

The interest will eventually declined / fade over time.

When was the last time you saw anything posted about a Model T ?

Sadly - Those fellas are gone…..

Our stuff will slowly fade over time but I’m living a dream playing with it for as long as I’m breathing.

You should too…..

The younger generation will be restoring Hellcats and Tesla’s in 30 years ….but I won’t be around to watch.

Don’t try to analyze too much, enjoy today - do your thing.
    Play with your parts.
    Enjoy your buddies - go cruising.
    LIVE !!!!

Ok - we good ?

27. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Too much information...from too many "experts"

crazycasey likes this.
  28. We’re Golden. Sorry if I come off as bristly, but I haven’t been on here in a while, and every time I have a hiatus (I’ve had a few over the 14 years I’ve been on the HAMB), it seems like the “regulars” treat me like an outsider all over again. I guess it’s to be expected…or perhaps it’s just my own insecurities leading to that perception. Regardless…

Boy you said it about the folks who are gone. As a young person, I always had friends that were a decade or more my senior, because I was just so much more interested in the things they were doing/building/racing. And so, while I’m still a “young guy” at 42, most of my buddy’s are gone.

An interesting point though, is that most of the people buying this stuff I dig up from me ARE the Baby Boomers. I’m always so caught by the exceptional few “young guys” (younger than me) who are after this stuff, that I usually give away the farm. And then every once in a while you see it back on here for the price I knew I could have gotten. But more power to them, I guess.

I have a YouTube channel, which gives some really detailed demographic information. The bulk of my viewership is 60-70 years old. But there are more and more young kids finding this stuff (and my channel) every day. ***AND FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH I DIRECT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM TO THE HAMB*** If you believe the politicians, the niche for the gas-powered car hobby is going to be a very small one moving into the electrified future. But it only takes a few to keep the history alive. So here’s hoping.

Back to the defense of my thread; this has been an informative discussion for some of the folks who have been a part of it. The marketplace for this stuff is as dynamic and varied as the people it is made up of. And we’d all do well to examine that fabric a little bit, because if we do, it will shape our own beliefs and views.

I’ve gotten some DM’s because of this post (because HAMB’ers are a curious group), and determined that this (particular) part is probably worth a little more than I thought it was, but some of the voices in this thread (like Gimpy’s) have me thinking I might put it out there a little lower than I otherwise might have.

Anyway, thanks @corncobcoupe for your reply. And for not moving my thread. :)

29. It breaks down into what sort of business do you want to have... A charity, business, or museum?

Tman, BrandonB, Wanderlust and 3 others like this.
  30. Haha! That kind of says it all, doesn’t it. To answer that question as honestly as I can, I would like to have a business that feels a little bit like a museum, but is no stranger to charity. Of course, it still has to be profitable.

rod1 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.