Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Easy Disc Brake Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, May 24, 2007.

1. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Thanks for the reply D-Russ

D-Russ likes this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I missed this TechThread..... simple outstanding @D-Russ

lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  3. Ha! It was 2007 when I posted it – I think you were still "Brush".

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm with Blues4U on the heat issue.

Again he is also correct that they cool from the center fins out. So I wouldn't want anything to get in the way of air flow. Of course I drive my hot rods hard....

Blues4U likes this.
  5. @D-Russ , I am about to start on this backing plate project. My question is how you decided to finish the backing plate, and the faux brake drum.
    Plated?
    Painted like wheel?
    Painted like axle?
    Or?

Thanks, just looking for ideas,

Just Gary and D-Russ like this.
  6. I painted mine!! IMG_20200802_172851926.jpg

GordonC, Tim and D-Russ like this.
  7. Koz

Koz

Just shot mine in black as well. Unless you're really looking most folks just think they're early Ford. Holes are drilled to get a little extra heat out. May or may not actually work but didn't hurt. Great tech by D-Russ! I made a similar set for the rear to cover the discs on the 9" but you really don't see them so I might just leave them off.

PXL_20220828_185158847.jpg PXL_20220331_204941985.jpg

Driver50x, Big Al, pprather and 3 others like this.
  8. I painted the backing plates, faux drums and calipers gloss black like the rest of the suspension on my car, mostly to make the brakes go away visually. In other words, I didn't want the covers/disc brakes to attract attention. Because of this, I think most people looking at the car don't even notice the disc brakes.

9. Thanks for the ideas.
    My O/E Ford backing plates arrived today.

My rod has chrome/polished everything on the front. It's all P&J /Superbell stuff. The current backing plate/caliper bracket in flat polished aluminum.

My current thought is to paint Ford backing plate and drum red, like my wheels. If that doesn't feel right I may leave backing plates red and repaint the drums black.

My third choice is to send it to the chrome shop, then paint the brake drums black.

We'll see. I'll try to remember to take before and after photos.

Koz, D-Russ, brEad and 2 others like this.
  10. @2deuces64 , could you share some info on your faux brake drum, pictured above?

11. I used 46 backing plates, installing louvers cut from an industrial hood (14 gauge material). The brake drums are from a 36 ford, they have the ribs on the outer edge. I don't have pix of the build on these. They are assembled like the aluminum finned ones I did. backing plates3.jpg backing plates4.jpg

12. You each chose to mount the caliper to the rear, I get that.
    Did you try mounting them below an imaginary horizontal centerline through the center of the backing plate, rather than above?
    Or does this create interference with the steering arm?
    @Koz
    @2deuces64
    @D-Russ

13. The caliper position on my brake kit (Speedway) was dictated by the manufacturer. I simply mounted them in the position the instructions suggested and where the caliper mounting bracket (that came with the kit) would allow.

pprather likes this.
  14. ^^^^^^^ exactly

pprather likes this.
  15. Canuck

Canuck

These were done about the same time as D-Russ posted his build, similar process, brake drum appearance made with rolled flat iron.
    upload_2022-11-25_0-50-55.png
    Painted satin black the same as suspension and chassis.

chrisp and pprather like this.
  16. Here is my faux brake setup.
    Before
    20230826_122805_HDR.jpg
    After
    20230826_122830.jpg

Wildwood caliper reused
    Used faux Buick drums
    Wildwood caliper bracket, modified
    20230818_112053.jpg 20230825_144026.jpg
    1940 Ford backing plates, modified
    20230825_144124.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  17. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Absolutely excellent tech post. Just a great idea that was simply done and ended up with a great result. Thanks for posting and taking the time to do those illustrations.

deuceman32 and D-Russ like this.