Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Low Riders, Zoots Suiters and "Pachucos"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Yep, the 1957 Ford version is the "Jade Idol II".

2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

A nice '48, just like mine.:)
    52008599502_1bd5fd1ddc_c.jpg

3. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

4. Jrs50 likes this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of old threads some of you might enjoy. Seems like a few are just discovering Bombs?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lowriders.385632/

This is the first post from thread above ^^^ with a link to a photo album from Javier Mejia, good stuff:

And here's the second old thread:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bombs-away-30s-40s-lowriders.231936/

Both threads have input from the original community.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Brain fart--- just saw the Jade Idol II in a back ground shot in the Kustom Blues thread. .

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Really like this color combo
    07257C6D-77A0-41B8-A09E-81C7CA9DC4AA.jpeg

8. ’48? There’s a ‘48 in the photo ? You’re pulling my leg aren’t you?

'28phonebooth likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-11-8_3-59-47.png

Hello,

This series of photos and information from local So Cal newspapers highlighted the history of the Low Rider/Pachuco scene in So Cal many years ago. It was on display at UCSB Art Department Gallery.

The funny thing was that once our dad told us of being a young adult and dressing up in high waisted pants and long length baggy jackets. But, he said he was not a so called, "Pachuco." He grew up with many folks in San Pedro and Los Angeles, yet, they insisted that they were not "Pachucos." They were just teenagers doing their own thing at the time. That sounds like a familiar concept.

It may be like when teenagers wore letterman's jackets and there were others that simulated the letterman's jacket style to connect with what it meant to earn and own an actual letterman's jacket. YRMV...

Jnaki

Their cars were the look that came from the factory as the wallet again, dictated what was purchased (usually used cars or ones given to them by other family members) and the main worry was to keep it running so they could go to work, as well as college and earn more.

NOTE:
    Our dad had one baggy jacket from his college days still in an old trunk located in the garage. My wife and I were helping our mom clean out the garage for the millionth time and came across the old jacket. It was double breasted and looked long. I tried it on, but had to hold my breath. The zillion years of moth ball theory was in place and it smelled awful. Plus, I could barely fit into the jacket. I was 6 feet plus and my dad was 5’6 inches at the time of the jacket usage. Age had taken its toll and add to it, the awful odor of mothballs. YUK!

It would have fit my wife, but she said to keep that smelly thing away from her, or else… so what is a person supposed to do in that case? It got sent to the local Goodwill Regional Center Store with other contents of the trunk. The Goodwill store is/was located where we used to live in those 1940s metal siding small trailers. The Goodwill Store and building complex is still there today…

10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

12. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

13. topher5150

topher5150

There was a retirement party in Holland, MI this summer for Mr. Lowpez IMG_20220918_134755525_HDR.jpg IMG_20220918_134910607_HDR.jpg IMG_20220918_134942707_HDR.jpg IMG_20220918_135357774_HDR.jpg IMG_20220918_134134629.jpg

14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

15. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

18. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

19. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

20. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

22. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-11-21_4-16-4.png

Hello,

This model of Chevy sedan was popular in the sub-culture of cruising cars. When we were living in one of our old houses, a neighborhood restaurant opened up in a new town center. It was the only Mexican food restaurant in the whole center and within 5 miles in any direction. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. (A true family restaurant.) The owner’s wife was the hostess, while the two older teens were the servers and assistant cook.

They were instantly successful and in the ensuing years, opened up several other locations, near a college and in another growing civic center. Manny’s Restaurant was an icon in our old neighborhood. Every time we went there, someone we knew in the community was in there. Our son instantly saw his friends from school and the family lists just grew.

The success was not hidden or lost on others and a big corporation moved into the same center at the opposite end. They opened up one of a chain of “authentic,” Mexican food restaurant locations. It did show some competition and eventually, the original restaurant was forced out due to a contract clause and higher space rental/restrictions.

But, it was not lost on one of the waitresses. She followed the move to the other locations and then opened up her own Mexican restaurant when Manny’s closed, due to the owner passing away. Her restaurant became so popular that has stayed in the neighborhood and has been there for over 30 years.

The food and service is as good as when she was a teenage waitress in the original restaurant. The restaurant still has a following and just before the pandemic, my wife and I dropped in for a great lunch and friendly conversation. She still remembers us from the “old” days… with the Lowrider parked out in the back of the original restaurant.

Jnaki

One day we were going to a local hardware store and noticed a cool black or dark green Chevy 4 door sedan cruising down the street. It was unusual in that portion of the town. But, when it stopped at the same hardware store, it was original Manny. He is a So Cal local and has/had grown up in the OC with his line of old custom cars. But, we never saw the Chevy sedan sitting out in front of his restaurant. It was always parked in the back and used for to/from trips around the neighborhood to pick up supplies and necessary items for the menu.

It was a surprise, but he told me the black or dark green Chevy sedan was one of his first customs. He has kept it all of these years and continues to drive it to the restaurant daily. But the time and other times later on, we saw the same Chevy sedan cruising to another grocery store for the freshest supplies for his own restaurant. He was a lot older than us and so, he could have been a very early local from the Northern part of the OC or just Westward in the Los Angeles cruising areas.

Thanks for the great experience and food during our time in that community…

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was the restaurant “ Mexico City”?

chryslerfan55 likes this.