Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Tojeiro California Spyder

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Tojeiro California Spyder

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

TrailerTrashToo, Jet96, Tman and 12 others like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

How about some track footage:

Jet96, Tman, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Also, some good helmet footage from another car at the COTA race:

catdad49, Jet96, Bandit Billy and 8 others like this.
  4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Sweet! Just love the howl of that GMC six. Thanks, Ryan.

5. deuceman32

deuceman32

Man, there is a lot of craftsmanship in that thing.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm not huge on the Gulf livery... It seems forced and the car is really too early for the theme in my opinion. I personally think this thing should be in traditional American racing colors... or just bare aluminum.

But, I love how the chassis is British Racing Green. That nod towards the UK in this car is just perfect.

7. deuceman32

deuceman32

We used to have B/A stations up here, which was British American. Green and red livery? I hear you on the theme, the gauge choice had me in full grimace.
    upload_2022-11-2_10-20-55.png

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

With ya there... It always amazes me that there are car people in the world that don't put an emphasis on steering wheels and gauges.

The detailing on that 302 though? Fucking perfect.

Rolleiflex, 41 GMC K-18 and Sancho like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

"By coincidence, I actually had the opportunity to drive in anger along side this Spyder at the Circuit Of the Americas in 2018. We were doing practice laps in far different classes/cars, but even then I was struck by how the little car leapt out of corners. American power with European sensibilities for grip and balance is typically reserved for legends… Seeing it from a “cottage-built” race car was awe inspiring...."

Hey Ryan,

that view of seeing it from a "cottage-built race car" sounds awesome. would you happen to have any photos of the event? including the "cottage-built race car?"

Thanks,

Jnaki
    If no racing photos are around, perhaps some "pits" photos or type of that kind of race car that you/your friends drove ?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

None that I took. I don't know the owner at all... I just happened to be doing practice laps when he was. Here's some shots from someone else:

Attached Files:

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Never been much of a six cylinder guy but this car really drew me in, then when it is opened up like a book, good lord!
    One more thing...........I just can't hold this in, this car deserves wheels of the same caliber as the rest of the car, am I wrong in thinking a set set of gennie mag Halibrand Sebring knockoffs should have been utilized, like the Kurtis and Cunningham cars used.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great cars, great footage, great facility.
    It really makes me smile, to see that some people, really know how to invest their money in these machines and drive the hell out of them!
    Thanks for sharing the footage and the information on the TOJEIRO California Spyder.

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Just yesterday I saw a YouTube video about a hand built roadster that uses a GMC engine with a Wayne/Arias cylinder head. The owner calls it a Daedalus. The styling is of a similar era.

zman, Sea Horse, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great car but I have to agree that he lost me with the Gulf Oil livery rather than running it in bare aluminum or preferrably in US racing colors The Gulf thing rather says wanna be rather than AM.

The best part of the whole deal is when a "Special" with a vintage American enigne can still show the hot dogs to the finish line.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. Amazing car. What were you driving @Ryan ?

Sancho likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

off topic porsche…

Hollywood-East and Tman like this.
  17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Bare aluminum with a big ol' asymmetric gumball splashed across the fender + hood and even bleeding off the bottom or onto the door. Dark green with a white number or yellow with black. In a typeface with hard edges, angles and bevels – no curves at all.

Silva, Sancho and Tman like this.
  18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

...and a Thrasher sticker below the driver's tail light.

Tman likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You get me.

Kevin Lee likes this.
  20. How's the road Course compare to others you have been on?

21. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Dailu mk1

Attached Files:

rod1 likes this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These hybrids always tickle a nerve I don't pay much attention to. Not out of any negativity, they just so seldom get in my wheelhouse. Other than a concours lawn or high zoot auction I've not had the opportunity to delve deeper into that facet. I love it but Packard and hot rods and a myriad of others are always in the way. Nor am I willing to dump it all and start over. Thanks for getting it out here.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

COTA is a bit bumpy, really long, features a shit load of turns (20) and elevation changes and is flat out gorgeous if it's not 110-degrees outside. Really, if it's any hotter than 90-degrees, I don't bother... I only race on PCA days anyway... Even in the paddock, there's not much shade and it gets miserable fast.

On paper it's probably the best circuit in the US? Certainly the cleanest and most well maintained... I don't really have anything to compare it against in the US though as it's the only American track I've ever ran on other than Rattlesnake.

Tman likes this.
  24. My dad and brother made it over there a couple years back for an SVRA vintage meet a couple years back. I was totally jealous

25. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Very good looking car. The picture of the front end is cool. Not sure the engine is a vintage Jimmy though. The distributor is too far foward. Side covers should have bolts around the edge. I think it's a 250/292 with a 302 valve cover adapted to it.

Sea Horse, Gofannon and rod1 like this.