Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. Took the stripped down chassis to work for welding, i wanted to weld it myself but due to the importance of all the weld I'm getting Bevan to do it as he is a ticketed welder and I'm not, Will tack in some support bracing and then into it after the weekend. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Okie Pete, The 39 guy and 11 others like this.
  2. And the other end. There is a new local car show next month so i will put it back together for that and also keep sorting out the smaller details and look at the firewall again once the frame is welded. Also got an inertia switch and a few more bits and bods. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Stogy, Okie Pete, The 39 guy and 12 others like this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha ,paint it white and it would look like a skeleton washed up on the beach . Exciting to finally get the welding done ,i understand the desire to have “nice” welds rather than just functional .

Stogy, Jet96, kadillackid and 2 others like this.
  4. I'm thinking of painting it light grey. I have never had a weld fail but Bevan doe's tidy welds.... it's goimg to be a big job:eek::) JW

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be interesting to paint ,so so many different surfaces, with paint atomising everywhere.

Stogy, kadillackid and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You definitely want it on a rotisserie when you paint this one!

7. I will use the same rotisserie i have set up for welding it, the over spay issue will be a big one, i hope to use my airless spray gun and some large (Cheap) tarps. Stay tuned.:cool::) JW

Stogy, Okie Pete and kadillackid like this.
  8. Looks like some pretty impressive progress since I was last here. I like what you’ve done with the place. Are you going to try for next year? I would like to come up and watch.
    Big changes on the D&S. Have you been following along?

Stogy, kadillackid and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. Hey, Andy, great to hear from you. I would like to try for next year but with so many other things happening i may be pushing it. If all my stars align it would cool and iwould need a tad of sponsorship as i want to bring my T RPU and take it back to Bonneville (was there in 1950) and use as a push car. It may be a long shot at this stage. Is the ''D&S'' thing that they are now oil fired? Cheers, JW

Stogy likes this.
  10. Maybe you will make it or not but keep up the good work.
    Yes. Most are oil fired now. I miss the aroma of coal but at least they are running. The WP&Y diesels are in regular service now. I do like the sound of an Alco.
    Give my regards to Mandy and maybe we can get together soon.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Andy, you will be one of the first i ring if and when i bring it your way.
    Well not a lot to report, have had some of the frame welded and that will resume again tomorrow. I have painted the axles and radius rods black and sent the rear wheel cylinders off for overhaul (sleeved) as they have been in my parts shed for 40 years and new ones are not available.
    Will have something to show very soon.:) JW

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Stogy, Okie Pete, kadillackid and 3 others like this.
  12. Got the chassis wrapped up and back home, still some welding to do but the roll cage/ drivers pod area is done. Will finish what frame welding is left this weekend and then reassemble it and carry on with small mounting bracket etc. I have entered it in a new local car show on 11/13 so i want as much done or mocked up by then, i get the feeling it will be of interest to many.....even if they don't get it. More soon. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Okie Pete, The 39 guy and 9 others like this.
  13. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

LOOKIN GOOD! I also like the trailer with a tailgate both ends!
    Be safe,Have fun!

Stogy, 26 T Ford RPU and Jiminy like this.
  14. AndersF

AndersF

I am glad i dont have to do the welding around all those pipes.

Stogy, ottoman and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. Well it took Bevan 4.5 hours and the rotisserie really helped. JW

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Stogy, Okie Pete and AndersF like this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have found a good gray to use on the interior of a car: One part base black and four parts base white. I mix it myself. In addition to giving the car a rugged industrial look it has the advantage of making everything much more visible inside which is very helpful when trying to work on things like wiring, finding leaks, looking for cracks, etc. especially in low light conditions. I call the color"Frenchtown Grey". You can call it whatever.

Stogy, Tman, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  17. I may use that mix although when i was making gates for a job we had and they still have a grey primer that i painted on farm gates that is still good today 25 years on. The stress crack thing was one of the main reasons for it as well as to lighten up the inside. A bit more welding tomorrow then put it back togeather and work out where some other things will go in/on this contraption.:):rolleyes: JW

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Note that the inside of NASCAR racecars is often painted grey or white.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Good idea. I'm going to plaigerize another idea! Now the chassis color is determined...

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. Got the chassis finished up today and after just six 3/4'' beads i ran out of MIG wire ''SHIT!'', drive half an hour to 7 day hardware store (this is at 3.30 pm) and hope they have some wire.... the kicker is i was at that store first thing this morning. Anyhow i will start the reassembly tomorrow.
    The chassis on the rotisserie. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  21. I hope this is the only time its upside down;):rolleyes: JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  22. Putting it back together is going well. I will try fit it on my special trailer tomorrow so i have not fitted the engine and trans to make it easier for now, will report on that tomorrow....with pics!!!
    I fitted the steering arm so i can move it around and had a bounce on the front and it has very bad bump steer, that ''shouldn't'' be an issue on a smooth flat course but in NZ that can be a problem. The fix will be to have a new steering arm made that will be higher so it will be level, will also have rod ends on both ends and move the outer one closer to the tire to lengthen the rod as this will also help. JW
    [​IMG]

23. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

[​IMG]
    I used my rotisserie to check my belt loadings. I figured if it felt bad under static conditions it would really suck in case of an incident. ;)
    Wayno
    Rats. Can't find the picture.

24. Full of excitement today as i had put the lower body back on and was going to put it on the special trailer for the first time, this shouldn't be that much of an issue but trailer to body clearance was. All went much to plan except one mishap! It was easy for me to push it to this point as it is. The extra ramps are to lift it up enough so the body clears the trailer. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  25. This was take two, i needed to use my truck to lower it off the wheel cover and well it took off back down the ramps. At this point in the photo all went well as did the final part. JW
    [​IMG]

26. Done and tied down. Very happy and with it running will drive on and off with ease.
    I built this trailer a few years back to carry my Roadster Pickup and to be able to put it all in a 20 foot shipping container. It has a removeable draw bar that has two mount positions. When i built it i had a Belly Tank in mind for it also but no solid build in the near future. It tows really well.
    Next weekend i will take the Tank to a car show on the trailer (weather permitting) along with the RPU and Mrs W's Mustang, pics next week. JW
    [​IMG]

27. Hope you can find the photo and post here as i would love to see it!!:cool::D JW

Stogy likes this.
  28. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

JW, If you go to Landracing.com and go to page 6 of the build diaries my build is Utah Belly Tank.
    I think that picture is on page 2.
    Wayno

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

30. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Look. I figured it out. :)
    Wayno

Stogy and brEad like this.