Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good progress man :)

Does David ever drop the top on the roadster? Seem to see it up most the time, curious if it folds or lifts off.

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks! He usually keeps it on there. If I recall correctly it does fold, but if it's down he takes it completely off.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

68801850459__92888AB4-58F0-4233-AB71-F0C2B69585BE.jpg
    Oh, and I got some absolute treasure in the mail from @Hitchhiker. It's feeling like Christmas around here. The thumb-turn breeze clamps are going to be absolutely perfect for my setup. It's going to be exciting to put them on there!

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

O hoho! Good mail day :)

Six Ball and Outback like this.
  5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Also, does anyone have a good source for new 59 AB water pumps?

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been in house jail of sorts which is actually quite mechanical and like working on Hotrods is pretty rewarding...

...I spent a bit of time catching up...you're on a pretty incredible journey Joey and you truly are going to have a pretty diverse set of rolling stock to chose from for time travelling...life doesn't get much better than that really...

...such positivity...It's great to be witness to it all...;)

Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_8532.jpg

:rolleyes:...Oh yeah...that steering arm and the upper zerk on the spindle...that is one of those little headscratchers...that's near identical to mine...I've got an elbowed stack of fittings to get grease in there...

0_20210526_165907.jpg

I've seen the arms curved down following the axle which surely affects the angles of the pitman and possibly improving access to that nasty access point...note I said possibly...

...that just happens to be a place where grease is also hard going in on my ride as well just to complicate the adventure...I think the bushing might be off a bit sort the fill hole might be askewed but it does let some in...

Any thoughts, plans, on that not so great sum of Ford parts?...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    48fordnut and Six Ball like this.
  9. Joey, was the picture of your roadster in the part 1 of the photo shoot in front of a building in the Presidio ? It does my heart good to see the King Bee headlights on your roadster.

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Well, you could take a few things apart. Drill a new hole in the axle king pin area in the middle of the seeing arm. Then tap it and use a 45/90 zerk pointing up or down, whatever will be easier to access. Plug the original hole.

Edit: I meant to add I’ve a similar set up on an axle for my ‘57, who ever put it together used a straight zerk, the knuckle head just needed to use a 90 pointing up or down.

Six Ball, Stogy and Tim like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think pre sixties on Instagram just posted about pumps I’ll go hunt and see/message you what I find

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Budget, perhaps I can find another 90 zerk that can get in there...they may not all be alike...the suggestion of a reposition is a great idea as well...I suppose that may entail a bushing rotation to align the grease hole or path...not sure what's in there...maybe both...

One good thing though is I see some grease coming out even though it seems difficult going in...and I do jack it up and move the steering to assist...

Actually I think the 90 went in there was a conflict with the grease head fouling on the space between preventing it from going on...

Budget36 and Six Ball like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sammy used to run one of the big rebuild outfits that supplied most rotating rebuilds to CarQuest, Napa, Grand Auto........ (later Kragen) when I was selling parts years ago. He got with their drop disgusted with their drop in quality and opened his own shop. They do it all, water pumps, alternators, starters, generators and very well. I used him exclusively for old stuff. He's is in Sacramento if he's still there.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/s-and-n-auto-electric-sacramento

14. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Joey just wanted to say that I; like so many others have been following along on your many journeys. Appreciate all your time and effort. Great work. Love the step by step progress. I know everyone will have their opinion on the pumps and that is fine. As an option I run a set of pumps from “Skip” Haney on mine. I have had great luck with them and would highly recommended them. Again appreciate all the work and effort. Keep up the great work. 49D6822A-9BC5-43C0-86E5-F27C3A9953CE.jpeg

48fordnut, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve never done king pins and bushing by myself, but bought new bushings for a shop to replace. I took everything apart and just took the axle and bushings in. I don’t remember anything other that the locating slot on the king pin though.
    I was thinking, in your situation what might work would be drill through, tap, etc. then use one of those small curly looking deburring tools to clean the inside of the bushing up, through the new hole.
    Man, I sure like making work for others;)

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks Stogy! The plan for me is to finish this car, then my '60s Shovelhead chopper, and then be in mid-century house jail. I'll have to find ways to make build threads about all of them!

Hi Brian, thanks for the tip. I'll take a look!

Very nice setup! Once we get the steering components in position, we'll be dropping that steering arm, hopefully allowing for an elbow zerk.

Six Ball, Tim and Stogy like this.
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nick, great eye! Part I brought us to the Presidio, and tomorrow we're heading to your neighborhood—North Beach—to shoot with some night life and neon. Thank you again for the lights. They're really special.

Got it, thank you.

Excellent info, thanks!

Thank you for joining in, Mike. We're having fun every step of the way! I appreciate the information big time.

Hahaha I think we all like doing that. Great info.

Six Ball, Budget36, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  18. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

i was wondering what you are doing for mounting a master cylinder when i was building my spencer roadster i made a batch of aluminum mounts that bolt to the back of the 32 K member using holes that exist there and mounts either a two bolt or three bolt m/c also an arm that gets welded to the brake pedal . i have a few left if you are interested John Eder [email protected]

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  19. Joey, those clamps waited a lot of years to wind up in your hands. I honestly would not have sold them to anyone else on the planet. But when we were talking, I realized they would be perfect for your car and would be a cool little link between my truck and your roadster.

This is the bag, that they were in when I acquired them almost 10 years ago. It was unopened when I got them.

20221025_163127.jpg 20221025_163138.jpg

Seems fitting that they end up on your car. It's the little things that all add up to make a car special and I think yours is on track to be stellar!

20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one of the cool elements of the vast HAMB UNIVERSE, parts can sit on shelf for years, then voila, the parts find a noble project, and then the parts find their way to that project!
    Good on you @Hitchhiker ( Matt )

Lakeside65, J.Ukrop, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

John, that sounds like a great solution. We are going to focus on m/c mounting, etc. next time I'm up at the shop. If we get into a bind, I'll give you a shout! Thank you for the offer.

That's the best thing I've seen in a long time. It's an honor to have this car linked to your truck, and the fact that they're NOS is just icing on the cake. I can't thank you enough. I've always loved details. These clamps are going to be one of my favorite details to date.

Amen to that! That's the power of the HAMB!

Outback, Six Ball, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

68851315515__25F8C756-0F81-485B-A37E-DCE9CCC67450.jpg
    I've spent the past week collecting parts and driving whenever I get the chance. Here's a snapshot from a few days ago.

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, Outback and 8 others like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic Joey.

I’m about 40% threw hopefully the last painting I need to finish to buy the rest of the supplies to get my 46 back on the road. Seeing you darting around the city is really a help keeping me motivated to keep moving forward.

think this is the longest it’s been down in ten years!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Stogy, Outback, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I'm so excited for the sedan to be back in action—so we can take it for a cruise next time I'm in Missouri.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Greetings from Fabulous Las Vegas. This week, I'm covering SEMA for work. As I sit here on the 27th floor of my hotel, high above the neon signs, flashing lights and dizzying swirl of Sin City, I figured it would be the perfect time for a build update.
    IMG_8814.jpg
    Let's kick things off with this license plate. It's a crumpled 1942 California plate that I got with a bunch of other parts earlier this year. Although the plate has been turned into a taco, I was thinking that the mounting clips could come in handy. IMG_8816.jpg First I soaked them in Metal Rescue.
    IMG_8853.jpg
    Then I sanded them, primed them and then hit them with some white paint. IMG_8879.jpg
    When I got to di Falco's, I paired them with my new-to-me 1956 plate and put the pieces together. I'm a big fan of front license plates (as you may know), and I couldn't be happier with how this whole setup looks.

I feel like its been too long since I had an easy, homework-esque project to do between writing stories and editing videos. This was especially relaxing. The best part? I got to recycle old parts and bring them back to life—much like the rest of the car.

When I bolted them in place, I showed David what I had been working on. "I like the ridges on them," I said. "Judging by the plate that they came off of, they're at least from the 1940s."

"Wait a second," David said. "Those are old Ford tie rod clamps that have been modified!" He was right. How neat is that?

Paul, Stogy, Outback and 11 others like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As David worked on customer projects, I directed my focus to the pedals. For those of you who have done this before, you know how time-consuming it can be to get everything to fit and line up correctly. IMG_8882.jpg
    Once I had the plate where I wanted it, I realized that the brake pedal wouldn't clear.
    IMG_8884.jpg
    Out came the holesaw. Problem solved. I then sandblasted the pedal mount.
    IMG_8886.jpg
    At the end of the day, David and I joined forces to get everything into place. As we did, we discovered that one of the bolts wouldn't clear the frame. We then welded, drilled and tapped the pedal mount to allow for easier assembly and disassembly.
    IMG_4418.jpg
    I can't say for sure, but I feel like we have most of the heavy lifting finished on the pedal project. We will pick up when I get back. In the meantime, here's a picture of me and the car.

JalopyJimbo, Paul, Stogy and 19 others like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

For my next two trips to the shop, we're adding another person to the team. I'm excited to say that my brother will be flying out from Michigan to hang out in San Francisco for the week. Andrew has been a huge help on this project since day one, and I can't wait to have him see Petaluma and turn some wrenches on Version 2.0.

This time around, we're going to try to fire the engine. That means swapping water pumps, checking valves, wiring the engine and all those good things. Last time he was in town, we got Version 1.5 fired up, as shown in the video below.

We also have some other hot rod fun planned, but more on that later!

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, Louie and 14 others like this.
  28. catdad49

catdad49

Nice save on the clamps, think you can save that plate? More great building moments, can't wait to see the start up, Carp!

Stogy, Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.