Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Dodge Coronet

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LionPride, Oct 23, 2022.

1. LionPride

LionPride

Hopefully I will be towing one home next weekend for my students to work on. I know nothing but what I've read about these cars.

I know that they have the weird semiautomatic transmission.

Can these be towed on a dolly without disconnecting the driveshaft, or do I need to pack appropriate tools?

2. It’s not a automatic but a standard trans with a torque converter and a clutch , couple big solenoids to shift the trans .

they actually work quite well .

sorry can’t help with your towing question .

the torque converter is bolted to the flywheel and engine oil fed .

I would think if it’s in neutral you should be ok to tow it .

caprockfabshop likes this.
  3. Can't help with the transmission question, but here's a Halloween shot of one that I had for inspiration... 496.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

They also have the standard manual transmission or a automatic transmission, or a fluid drive transmission.

Which do you have? .... slap a battery in it & drive it to the garage?

5. LionPride

LionPride

I haven't been to look at it yet. Just lots of pictures. It's listed as automatic, but you never know.

I think they have been trying to get it started.

6. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

My only suggestion, just hire a flatbed truck to tow it to your class.

7. LionPride

LionPride

That would be nice, but I sponsor a student organization with no official budget. I found a guy willing to trade me for the car, I'm giving up my time and money to go fetch it, but I can't pay for a flatbed out of pocket. It would make easier, but I can't swing it.

8. 73RR

73RR

Put it in neutral and tow.
    If the car is 'fluid-drive' it still has a manual trans behind the fluid coupling (it is not a torque converter) you will still put the trans in neutral.
    Unless you are towing a long distance the trans should not be negatively affected.
    If you are really worried then put the tail on the dolly and secure the steering wheel so as not to turn.