Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Happy All Hallows Eve**

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2022.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Happens to us all when were on crunch time. Keep us updated...

Outback likes this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well update on the forgotten banger... Rods and wrist pins are frozen, hence why it wouldnt turn, Pistons moved in the bores but couldn't break these free, thankfully they were at TDC and were able to be driven out once the caps were removed... Shame she is in such bad shape... But looks like the block is ok so there is that. This motor is just a tinker with motor, frozen and forgotten for many years. Plans are unknown right now, Id rather spend the money on the orig A motor from my 30 and have the inserted bearings cut in.

Crazy part is, I dont know why it was pulled, but everything shows no mechanical failure reason behind it but it was 100 over and there were no shims on the rods nor mains, so maybe she was knocking... Few Babbitt pics for you

Here they are out, the two laying over wrist pins are free and nice... banger3.jpg

The two worst cyl, 1 and 4, both were at TDC...
    Im guessing she was full of water at some point for this kind of rust up there.

banger4.jpg banger5.jpg

And the bearings... This one looks like a cold pour...

banger6.jpg
    Plus look at how thin they were poured...Insane...

banger7.jpg

Who knows what Ill do with it, may sell for a buildable core or keep it in stock to build later for myself...

3. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Sure does. My Rpu is running "as is"

4. GuyW

GuyW

This one??

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  5. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

83211121-0191-45E1-A786-DC6B4756FDE0.jpeg 8C99B3EA-11F1-4587-9D3A-86FB30E103E7.jpeg

When I installed a vintage Riley 4-Port Head on our B Engine in our Speedster, I had a problem finding a suitable Water Pump. The Riley Pump needed to be rebuilt, so I looked for other options. I found an Electric Water Pump, that has a Electronic Controller that controls the Water Pump Flow Rate (& Electric Fan) based on Engine Water Temperature, not engine RPM.
    I wrote an article which was published In the current Secrets of Speed Magazine. The article is attached for anyone interested.

Attached Files:

GuyW, burl, Dustyp489 and 6 others like this.
  6. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

yes!!!! Thank You!!!

GuyW likes this.
  7. burl, Dustyp489, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  8. We had a grand time last weekend with the Velocity Invitational at Laguna Seca. The little Ford 4 banger could hold it's own with some of the best of them (except the two ERA's). Well driven it might of kept up; but I'm slowing down with age. You can watch the whole week end on YouTube
    Velocity.2022(8)jpg.jpg
    Velocity.2022(4)jpg.jpg
    Velocity.2022(7)jpg.jpg

9. OD, John
    who is the gentleman in the bottom picture?
    I recognize him, just cannot put a name to him.

tnx, J

10. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Great story,video and car Greg!

Outback and The37Kid like this.
  11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Midnight Rider likes this.
  12. Jiminy

Jiminy

please try https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.17723

Outback likes this.
  13. James Alder is the chap, talking to me & my wife. Jim drives his Jag 120 to & from the races. His home is in Reno, NV!

Outback likes this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

15. John

Thanks for the recognition, I remember meeting James at Fontana speedway some years ago at a joint weekend with the SCCA. He had some good advise for Sean as a driver there.

John

Outback likes this.
  16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy monthly banger, the last year for me has been involved in a belly button and liver transplant into a '72 Jeep wagoneer (ls1/4L60e) so I can have a fun road trip/trail rig/ tow rig). With that 99% done, and no money to spend...I found a thing. My friend on the East coast hauled it back, and I won't see it till spring. So, we can all commiserate over the low quality imagery and postulate on how deep I dug my hole.

Attached Files:

Carter, Outback, Old Dawg and 5 others like this.
  17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

fur biscuit : Someone had to say it : "That'll buff out"... LOL!!

fur biscuit likes this.
  18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha

19. Damn, thats a great find!!
    Don't buff it out too much
    J

Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  20. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Looks like a Faultless racing body to me! The Whippet radiator looks to be in good shape, and has Laurel front lowering brackets too. Nice find!!!

Carter and winduptoy like this.
  21. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Like Kevin said, it looks like a Faultless body....I'm thinking with the flair on the cowl it's a Morton & Brett.

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kevin, don't think they are?

Do you know if anyone is still repopping the Laurel style?

Attached Files:

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first inclination was Faultless, due to the flat spot behind the passenger compartment. But the cowl flare is much more Speedway or Morton & Brett.

winduptoy likes this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

Newbie banger owner here. I've got a basic question about the oil tube on the side of an A block. Does it flow a lot of oil from the side cover down to the lower edge of the block, or is it more of a vent?

I've got a marine front cover that has a side drive (probably for a bilge pump) which looks like it could adapt a rear-pointing distributor very easily. But that oil tube would probably be in the way. Maybe I could build a steel line or braided stainless hose that would fit tighter to the block, and then have room for the side distributor. Just need to know what the real function of that original tube is?

25. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

The model A engine was designed with gravity feed oil system, no real pressure. Oil from the oil pump was pumped up to the front of the valve chamber. There are dams or walls on the floor of the valve chamber to divert sufficient oil to gravity feed the front, centre and rear main bearings. Oil in the chamber also lubricated the valve lifters. As the engine in a stock model A is tilted with the front being higher then the read, the oil that was pumped to the front of the valve chamber eventually flowed to the rear of the valve chamber where it drains into the external drain tube, which then feeds the oil on to the dipper tray located in the oil pan. This oil then lubricates the connecting rod bearings via the dip and splash method. There are dipper trays under each connecting rod and as they fill they overflow and gravitate back from front to rear of the motor, feed oil for feeding all the con rod bearings. Once to the rear of the oil pan the oil overflows and returns to the bottom of the oil pan. So I would say that if you are running a stock oil system in your Model A engine then if you change the standard oil tube to a flexible line that the line should try and have an internal diameter close to or equal to the oil drain tube. Also the flexible line must run continuously lower from the valve cover to the inlet at the front of the block.

26. Bob has addressed the oil return line above, this is more to the distributor idea.
    Typically, side drive assemblies run at crankshaft speed. You need to verify the gear that drives the aux accessories is the same diameter as the cam gear not the crank gear.
    John

Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

My auxiliary drive gear has the same tooth count as the crank gear (that's 50 IIRC). I have an aftermarket SBC distributor that I will attempt to grind the extra lobes from, and just plug the extra cap sockets.

I want to use a B pan so I can use a B trans case filled with later gears. Will the B pan still provide the proper tray for the rods to dip into? Do I need to move an A tray into the B pan?

Outback likes this.
  28. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Good catch fellas! My eyes were focused on the tail, and I completely missed the cowl flare

The close up pic of the lowering brackets reveals they are not Laurel, but perform the same task of pushing the axle out front and relocating the spring perch behind the axle

Carter and Outback like this.
  29. 5280A2

5280A2

The B pan will need to be modified with a filler piece welded in at the point of sealing to the rear main cap. The B main cap is larger than the A so there is a significant gap that must be filled. There are also two additional holes in the B pan at the rear corners that should be drilled and tapped at the rear of the A block on the pan rail. Finally, there are two bolts in the A pan that flank the rear main in the rear bulkhead of the block. These should be filled with some cut off bolts installed with locktight and fitted flush with the pan rail. I slot them and run them below the surface of the pan rail and then fill with JB Weld and file flush.

The A dipper tray will be preferable to the B dipper tray as the B tray fits about 1/8" lower in the pan due to the larger rod journals in the B motor.

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

So should I cut out and replace the B tray with the A? I can make all the other mods you mention too.