Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is this dying out, what's next?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Sep 25, 2022.

1. safetythird

safetythird

Honestly, that WAS the first google hit. The second one was about a radio association.

Who uses a dash in their website name?

All I really want to do is align my body panels/doors properly before I shoot paint. I'm apparently not real good at it.

2. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Here in Europe the least of our worries are the tribal wars, the scene is too small and the biggest enemy are the authorities, they hate us all equally. Car meets are usually mixed and nobody thumbs his nose at the others (the idiots who street race in a stupid way exist but this is an international problem). There is interest in "our" kind of cars from the younger generation but the problem is always the cost, so to me the guy with the 1974 Opel done up like US-something from the early 60s is no threat, because if and when he has the funds he'll get a "proper" car. It's just the first rung on the ladder.

3. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Glad you have these going on, hope I can make it to some more.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. flatout51

flatout51

I grew up in my Dad's street rods, going to the Nationals and tons of local shows. As both of us have gotten older (37 and 78) we have both steered away from any type of formal car function. We drive our cars daily. Car shows don't interest me in the least. I'd rather throw the family in the car and drive it to target than go pay to park it and let other people look at it. If I do go to a show I dont enter my car, I'm there for like a hour, walk through once and bolt. Call me jaded but car shows are lame. Now EVENTS are completely different. HAMB drags, Hill climb, RPM, things like that?! Fun.

RRanchero Rick and Charlie K like this.
  5. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been into hotrods for a tad better than 50 years....been to a few shows, but never really understood paying for someone to see my car....I get plenty of that for free every time I stop for gas or pull up to a stop light. I haven't carried lawn chairs in my trunk for many years. Much rather hop in the roadster, meet up with a few friends and do a 50 mile run for breakfast or sit around the shop, shooting the shit with them...Got nothing against car shows for those who partake, a lot of people really enjoy them, just no longer my cup of tea.

Charlie K and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. ems customer service

ems customer service

there are a few problems with shows,

1) sales tax rules have changed states make it much harder to go as a vendor,

2) both nsra and good guys have there heads someplace dark, neither of them advertise the shows out side of readers, so nobody new knows what is going on.

3). the guys that piss and moan about what cars show, I don't like this or that, it is a show, people build what they want. and there is a reason you were not asked about stuff during construction, if you don't like a car dont say anything cause some one in the crowd does not like yours, the show is about all hot rods, and car guys getting together to enjoy our hobby. not social climbing like a bunch of princess.

7. 5window

5window

I like the HAMB best, but I like anything with wheels and a motor. Some way better than others (I can't even mention the "others" here). But I try not to exclude anything than is well done and taken pride in. You never know where your next great idea will come from.

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I am closing in on 70, built my garage myself at 63, have been working on my 50 chevy truck for the last 3 years since I retired. Made a lot of progress till this year the arthritis really hit my knees. I spent
    enough last year on prescriptions to get past the donut hole, now this year I am looking at physical therapy bills, maybe orthopedic surgery bills. Makes it hard to do any side work, and spend money
    on the truck or going to distant shows.
    I have a simple take on the car shows, high dollar cars show me what is possible, more mainstream cars
    remind me I want to have it on the road, have fun with it. RRods often remind me to build it safe.

Algoma56, wfo guy, tractorguy and 4 others like this.
  9. I'm done with car shows and having "trailer queens" with high dollar paint jobs. Been there, done that. To quote a famous singer- "all I want to do is have some fun"- Now just simple rods that I can just drive.

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My boss' buddy has an old jag that's totally restored. He doesn't even start it at shows. Push off the trailer, winch back on after the show.

What fun! Lol.

11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

In the early days of hot rodding part of the fascination with hot rodding was that we operated outside the norms of society..........nobody told us who we had to be. We dressed differently, played loud music, raced when we could get away with it, and generally thumbed our noses at people and authorities that tried to tell us what we must do.

Now, many of you have become those authorities with your attitudes about what others must drive, and how their cars must look, or what they must be made from. We all gotta be the same ......to be different? We should be afraid to build a car the way we want it so we can be accepted by the "Kool" guys? Look in the mirror, and we are mostly old and fat and wrinkled.....people don't think we are Kool, and many of us were never Kool anyway.

When someone tries to tell me what I must do for them to accept me, the absolute last thing I think is that they are Kool. Nope, I still build what I want and how I want and don't fit in nicely with the establishment,......and I'm Kool with not being part of the establishment "in any form". I respect that some people build cars to "fit in" with the crowd, and some of them are pretty nicely done......but for me, I will build my car to suit me..........and I won't follow anyone elses rules to do it. If I can't post it on the Hamb, thats ok, I'm building it to drive ....not for show.

Those of you that are followers.......continue to follow. Me, I'll blaze my own path and be happy with it.
    Yippee-ki-yay............:cool:

12. 5window

5window

Right on. I'm cool enough to remember Maynard G. Krebs!

Desoto291Hemi and ekimneirbo like this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

I agree with you, the kids that show up today at local car shows get very little if any respect from us "Old Timers" in general. I have always gone out of my way to talk with younger guys and usually am told "Thank You" for the conversion and my time. I remember back in the day when I was a kid with my junk and always remembered men that were pleasant to me and most today forget that Honda civic is their 57 Chevy, these young men are car guys ! recently I had a conversation with a youngster about his hot rod civic, turbocharged 4 banger 1.4 litre, proudly showed me the dyno sheet, 340 HP, drag strip time slips, that rice burner is Fast, Nice kid, guessing low 20's. The rockabilly type car shows (similar guidelines as the HAMB) are exploding here in Wi., younger generations, nice cars, sometimes lacking the $$$ up stuff, paint, chrome, interiors, most under construction and drivers, still hot rods and hot rodders by my definition. A lot of bitching here about the changes in our great car hobby, people are and have always been resistant to change, back to my favorite "It Is What It Is" WE all go back in time with our HAMB cars IMO, but Time stands still for no one. Everyone Have a Great DAY ! per Bob Marley "No Worries, Be Happy !

14. ^ 100% agreed.
    Each show, I try to connect with the up and comers. Find a talking point and connect with the ''kids''. Instead of being a crabass and ignoring all the stuff outside of my interests. Internet time for me has been greatly reduced. Instead I've been hands on helping two young guys and a friend my age with their cars. And it feels good! More rewarding than screen time, for real.

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too funny:( Aren't some of you "won't go to a show" guys some of the same guys wondering if the hobby is dying? ...and by not going to shows, inadvertently helping the hobby die?
    One important aspect of keeping hot rodding alive is EXPOSURE.

We've been hot rodding for 50+ years, but due to the wife's medical issues, we no longer can do the big 3-4 day out of town shows anymore. We still do a lot of local shows...but eventually, that will come to an end too:(.
    Get your ass (and car) out there and support the hobby (exposure)...while you are still able.

05snopro440, wicarnut, rod1 and 12 others like this.
  16. SDS

SDS

Amen, this is primarily why I posted this in the first place...the cars aren't getting crushed, just passing hands and need to be driven/shown to keep interest alive

17. The hobby (Lifestyle) is slowing down but it's not dead. People are just getting involved in other aspects/things to do with vintage cars, like vintage racing, or driving events.

In some ways I see it slowing down as a good thing! It is going to bring the price range back down to a price where the working class blue collar guys can afford it again!

I went to Hersey about six years ago, I have a pretty good job good pay, but I couldn't afford to buy anything I was looking for!

I went with a good bunch of guys, but they all are business owners with several employees or retired with pensions (I hold nothing against them they worked damn hard for their money and earned it) but I saw one of them spend several thousand dollars in four days!

As I said I a pretty good job, but I can't spend thousands of dollars a year on parts for a project, and still afford the necessities of life- housing, food, power, heat etc.. that is part of the reason it is taking so long to build my project.

I wheel and deal buy lots of parts keep what I need and spin off the rest, I look at getting the parts I need as profit and sell of the rest to offset the cost of the parts themselves/travel to chase them down.

It has gotten to where so many get the parts they need and want to make a huge profit and have inflated the prices to the point some people have thrown their hands up walked away, stopped working or sold projects off because they can't afford to finish them.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point...I totally agree.

The other side of the coin... I'm financially secure and can buy anything I want...BUT, I just WON'T pay that $500-$1000 for a part that, 10-15 years ago, was a $50 part. I too throw my hands in the air and walk away:mad:

Something has got to change.

19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always hang out with the younger crowd. The old timers usually want to talk about their goiter or how plugged up their shitter is. I want to talk about the next change on my car and that sexy looking chick walking by...

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the topic of not advertising, that might be a localized issue.

Where I am, every single Goodguys event is heavily flyered at every single auto parts store, and the TV and radio ads are inescapable.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We still have a near-weekly series of cars and coffee meets.

There are a fair number of local meets, too.

There was one just yesterday, in our largest part.

No fees, no admission regulations, except old.

Desoto291Hemi and jimmy six like this.
  22. My side of that coin too. I know what I paid for a part/car, and even though I can, I too can't justify the 10000% increase in the exact same part/car. For me personally I've had to switch over to vintage track days and hill climbs to hold my interest. It's that new (to me), but still vintage vibe that offers the fresh challenge. That, and my OT project. To me, repetition is boring, and I'm too damn old to change now.

Desoto291Hemi and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Just got back from the Chickasha swap meet, in Oklahoma.About 1/2 of what it was last time I was there. Everyone started packing up to,leave about noon Saturday!
    I have been attending “ events” since the sixties and have noticed recently a drastic decline in both people and venders. Very few are growing, or at least the events I attend are getting tamer and smaller! Just the way it is!

Bones

24. Another possible theory for older events declining could be the amount of smaller/newer events. Why pay $$$$ for a show when there are $0 cruise ins. (Unless it’s the plastic trophy you desire)
    When I look at our local cruise/event calendar, the number of choices to attend a given date are numerous.
    Swap meet is an antiquated way to sell parts. Marketplace, FB pages, CL, eBay, bring a trailer, forums like this are means to sell things without paying large entry fees or buying fuel.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    arse_sidewards and seabeecmc like this.
  25. Very well said Steve. I agree and am doing the same thing as I can.:)

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm baaack...:rolleyes:

Hershey was wet for the 1st 2½ days but still kicked ass. One of our biggest sale days was in the rain. Even the auction had a good result with pretty realistic prices. Lots of happy faces. Lots of people given it was all weekdays and no weekend action at all. Car corral was pretty full too and I don't know how well those sellers did. Saw a few "sold" messages scrolled on windows. So let's answer the OG question, no mutha truckers we ain't dead or dying as a life style or activity or a business or whatever this gig is for you. Were I forced to take a feet in cement position it would be that we'll get out of it what we put into it. Keep quiet, keep to yourself, you'll be lonely. Tell your pals and associates, you might have more fun or find that elusive part or car or whatever. If being a solo act is you then by all means be that, but by and large I say we're just fine. I said I'd revisit after Hershey so...

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just let them take them home.

hotrodjack33 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

That is usually what they do. I have gone to enough swaps, it's always the same hoarders, they bring out their "treasures" and hope some chump will fall for their sales pitch. Seems they just want to show off and then whine about nobody buying. All that loot will do them no good when "the Man comes around".

jimmy six likes this.
  29. I agree with your statement about talking cars, but personally I don't care if the person I am talking to is my age, 20 years younger, or 30 years my senior if they want to talk cars, they are cool in my book!!

One of my favorite stories happened a couple years ago, I was talking to a family friend (in his late sixties at the time) telling him about my vintage racecar build engine specs, chassis, etc... he replied, "I am over all that racing high performance stuff."

My dad (in his early seventies looked him in the eye and said "Holy shit, I hope I never get old!"

Algoma56 likes this.
  30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well shit homie, we used to pay 1.09⁹ for gas:eek: Hard to make that $400 carb work when it's dry...:rolleyes:

42merc and anthony myrick like this.