Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. Sancho and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Any local glass shop can cut a new window since it's flat glass.

3. That’s what I had in my 60 Thunderbird and seems like they cracked pretty easy. Maybe it was just the local glass guy not polishing the edges well or something. I’m sure there can be a big difference in who cuts it. I may check with my buddy that is a glass guy and see what he thinks. Thanks!

Thor1, Sancho, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  4. SS327

SS327

Wow, I’m sorry to see that. Keeping those latches clean and lubed up real good will go along way to keeping them working. Keep an eye on the hood latches too. Sucks when the hood flies off.

Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  5. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

One of the advantages of the Buick side too side opening hood, impossible for the hood too fly off during driving, but if not latched properly it can fall off and scratch the fenders when opening.

bchctybob, Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

The hood opens from the side? Cool, not sure if you posted a pic of it open or not, but if you are feeling like shutterbug, can you do it again?

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. It actually opens from either side. So, technically the only thing holding it on is the latches on either side. It is quite the mechanism. :D

7105DC9B-34FB-4868-B8B7-D33FA7E7FDB9.jpeg

p15-1948, Thor1, Rand Man and 6 others like this.
  8. BJR

BJR

They can fly off at speed if the latches are out of adjustment. There was a thread here a few years ago about that happening to someone.

SS327 and guthriesmith like this.
  9. With the busted glass, look at the fuzzies. If they are shot that contributes to broken glass. The latch is likely dirty and needs the right lube.

10. Hood opened from side 1941 through 1952. Pretty neat if one has help. Open latch on BOTH sides and lift off. Pain in the butt if alone and need to work on both sides of the engine.

You will be a lucky guy if you find good glass in a salvage yard. Most, if not all, will be delaminating around the edges. I did all of my side, flat glass from a local shop. Probably as cheap as the salvage yard.

Ben

bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  11. I didn’t know Buicks opened like that. My International R-130 opens the same way, I’ll bet some engineer at Harvester had a Buick.

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. Fuzzies are all pretty nice actually. Pretty sure I just slammed it too hard. :oops: And, the door latch works easily and after looking at it, it may just need some slight adjustment. I found that if I just pull it shut easily, it latches, just not tight enough. When I was slamming it, it was bouncing back and not latching at all.

Agreed on being lucky if I find decent glass. However, the glass in the car is delaminating some, so I figured that might be the best bet in matching it. I will likely end up with new when said and done, but I have two guys checking for me today to see if they have a decent used one. :D

Thor1, Sancho, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  13. I had forgotten some IH's did! Packards of the late 40's , early 50's did as well.

Ben

14. For compatibility sake, if you just want to find a replacement window instead of getting one cut, the Buick special shared the roofline with the 50-52 Cadillac 61 series. This may not help because the "cheapy" 61 series cadillac is kinda rare, I've only seen a handful, usually they are the 62 series which is the same roofline as a Super or Roadmaster Buick.

61 series
    1950-cadillac-series-61 (2).jpg

62 Series

139360_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

15. Still waiting to hear from Bob Owens on a used one, but also talked to my longtime friend that does glass. He says he can cut me one, so I should have one soon one way or the other.

Thor1, 41 GMC K-18, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bob Owens came through. :D Pretty nice glass even. Planning to get it from him so I can wait to tear it apart until I am ready to swap it.

705A4D9F-B77B-4403-A561-BC0110129ECC.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  17. May I ask where he is located?

Ben

guthriesmith likes this.
  18. Owens Salvage in Wellington, TX. He is FLAT-TOP BOB here on the HAMB. One of the nicest guys you will meet in this hobby.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    Thor1, 41 GMC K-18, drdave and 4 others like this.
  19. SS327

SS327

You couldn’t be more wrong! There was even a recall I believe. When the hood starts to flutter it’s getting ready to fly.

20. Just curious is the glass at Bobs out of a Buick or Cadillac?

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. I’m not really sure. He actually had both styles that you posted Dan.

Thor1, drdave and Dan Hay like this.
  22. If you ever notice the hood starting to flutter around at higher speeds and you're concerned about it popping up, you may want to take an analytical and scientific approach to curing the problem.

The main cause of the car trying to do a "hoodie" is probably due to the higher speeds creating more air pressure and turbulence under the hood. To relieve some of that pressure, maybe you can open up those dummy Venti-Ports that Buick installed from the factory when new. Of course if that doesn't relieve enough pressure you could always put a couple rows of louvers in the top of the hood. That sounds like a pretty "scientific" solution, doesn't it?

Or you could take the more pedestrian approach and rig up some safety cables underneath to hold everything in place.
    :rolleyes:

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  23. Or, I could drive slow like a grandpa? :p To be honest, the rear latch on the right needs adjusted to actually latch. However, the front does latch which scientifically and mechanically keeps the hood from departing.

I do like the louver idea. :cool:

24. The issue with used glass is delamination and it gets brittle. As long as the door is not slammed it should last, I would trace the new piece to have a template around. My car, both doors were refurbished 100% and I still have people that like to slam them shut. They shut easily on their own.

25. Those "dummy venti-ports" ARE open.

Ben

26. Good 'ol Bob! Saved my tail more than once, or even more than 5 times. lol Glad he was able to fix you up.

Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  27. I recall reading something about the history of Buick's VentiPorts several years ago. It indicated that they were open and functional only on early '49 production models. After that they were closed off and strictly cosmetic.

http://buickpartsdirectory.com/portholes.htm

"After some digging, I came up with some very interesting stories associated with the first portholes. According to The Buick, A Complete History, the portholes were inspired to Ned Nickles by WW2 fighter planes and he installed them on his 48 Roadmaster convertible. He also connected amber lights attached to the distributor to suggest fire coming out of the portholes. Harlow Curtice (Buick's general manager) liked them and he asked for them (without lights!) on 49 Supers and Roadmasters (there were no 49 Specials). The only functional portholes were on the early 1949 cars and they are connected to fabric hoses, which go under the hood. The non-functional “cosmetic” type replaced them mid-year. . . In a discussion on the BCA forum online, Glenn Williamson explained the functionality of the portholes like this:

“The portholes don't actually channel cool air into the engine bay, they extract hot air by venturi principle. As the car moves forward, air rushing past the porthole creates a low-pressure area at the mouth of the porthole and hot air is drawn out."

There was also mention of reports that in some instances "hooligans" were inserting "foreign materials" into the open portholes. Make of that what you wish. And supposedly after sufficient driving time the ports would exhaust oil vapors and dust from under the hood and stain the paint down the sides of the cars, especially noticeable on lighter colored models.

Thor1 and Sancho like this.
  28. Pretty sure I have now driven the Buick every day for a week. It has only been around town, but I have managed to burn through 10 gallons of gas so far going pretty much nowhere. :rolleyes: A couple shots from this evening running more errands and wasting gas. :D

364E45E1-3802-4493-A6C6-FC47B3269D46.jpeg 4B8E349C-73B0-4CC6-82F1-D87CA82FE391.jpeg

Randall, Thor1, jaracer and 15 others like this.
  29. Grandpa said the portholes kept the Dyna-flowin.

30. I do know that the portholes function well as grab handles to lift and lower the hood. :D