Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Reborn at the Gathering at the Roc

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 7, 2022.

1. gbk

gbk

So glad you made it Out The Other Side to share this beautifully written piece with us all!

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  2. Thanks! Great story.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Really enjoyed that...add the roc to my bucket list!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Great story (out side of the getting sick thing ) and great photos. I'm thinking that you may have caused a lot more of us to put that one on our list than they have room for.

5. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow great story and pics, thanks for sharing.

6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Wow, Joey! That was worth the wait (checking in every day). Thanks!

J.Ukrop, winduptoy, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Thank you for digging deep and powering through the unexpected sickness, a lesser man may have made the decision to hunker down in a motel room or take a flight home, I admire your determination to push on and not be
    deterred from bringing your unique form of journalism to the Hamb and what I am sure will be a well received feature in a upcoming issue of The Rodders Journal.

Joey, I honestly believe you are the up and coming automotive journalist that can pick up where the late Pat Ganahl left off.

As for this blog, reading the story made me feel as if I was riding along, HRP

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you’re feeling better Joey.

9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I feel like I was there, but have no other memories except for those written, Thanks Joey!

J.Ukrop, winduptoy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

Great story and pics!!....almost like being there.....But...Jesus Joey!!.....where’s the pic of you in your “Okie Specific Hat”!!!....
    .........“If you’re going to Oklahoma, you have to have the right hat,”.......Seriously, this trip is #1 on the bucket list.....we have friends in Bartlesville who have a summer place right up the road in Maine.......Mark

J.Ukrop, winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The hat I saw him wearing was his trademarked Fink hat emblazoned with his initials.

12. Killer write up. The Roc is on my list once at least one of my cars is nice enough to attend :D

13. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

All I can say is thank you so much for doing this, Joey. Absolutely incredible coverage and story. Hope to experience in first hand one day!

14. Great write up on a great weekend. Glad I finally got to meet the amazing J. Ukrop who dares drive a mechanical brake Model A on the streets of San Fran. :) The look on your face before you took off in @winduptoy's A was priceless. I wish I had the presence of mind to have taken a picture.

J.Ukrop, guthriesmith and Tim like this.
  15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said @J.Ukrop . Without the pictures you took , jut the narrative you gave us an awesome roller coaster adventure , then you add more spice with pictures.

16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Great column @J.Ukrop! Your craft of translating the visual into text is impeccable, and makes anyone feel like they were there!

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Excellent story and photos Joey, very well done.

18. mgermca

mgermca

Well done Joey! Enjoyed that a ton!

19. Hot-Rod-Garage

Hot-Rod-Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Masterful writing of your hot rod adventure in Oklahoma, your one of us now, come on back!
    thank you for all the positive things about our little gathering of cool cars and cool people.

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your story with us. What a kool read.

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Excellent, thanks for sharing your Roc experience. I’m going to try my best to make it down next year.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Sancho. That means a lot!

Thanks Todd. I always enjoy your writing, photos and captions. Writing caps is a lost art. I'm glad you're keeping it alive!

Thank you! This was the first time I saw your coupe in person and I absolutely loved it. I wish I would have come over and introduced myself.

Thanks for letting me hitchhike in the "Tamale Wagon." That shot at the United Grocery store is one of my favorite photos I've taken in a long time. Chatting with the Gadberrys got me even more fired up for some very fun hot rod happenings in the not-so-distant future.

Tim, I appreciate this—and you—more than you know. It was super cool to finally meet you and your family, and I enjoyed walking around the show with ya. It's crazy how long we've known each other.

I'm really looking forward to you riding in my roadster one of these days. And when your son sees the interior, he'll be pleased to see "Buckles!"

Terry, that means the world to me. Back when I started at TRJ Steve gave me a copy of that issue and suggested that I read it. That is, without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite piece of writing in our genre. To put this in the same galaxy as that really puts a smile to my face. Thank you for reading and coming along for the ride.

I want to let you guys know that I printed out your comments and have them at my desk as friendly reminders as to why our community is the best.

HEMI32, pprather, BigJoeArt and 5 others like this.
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for your comments. Stuff has been extra busy with work as of late, but I'm going to be rolling through and replying to everything in chronological order as time allows. Thank you all for your patience.

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh man, I wish I would have known it was you! Great chatting and I appreciate the kind words. I was still teetering on the brink of illness, but I was definitely heading in the right direction.

Thank you, Ryan. I'm excited to dive into more of these stories soon.

Thank you for coming along for the ride!

Thanks, Jim! There really is nothing better than hitting the road in some vintage machines.

Living to fight another day!

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

“Thank you! This was the first time I saw your coupe in person and I absolutely loved it. I wish I would have come over and introduced myself. “

Thanks, would have been nice to meet you. I didn’t talk to very many people. That’s my nature, too quiet for my own good. Those I did meet, had some pretty good conversations. I played my guitar for a while, and enjoyed the atmosphere.

26. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20220930_163933314_HDR.jpg
    Joey,
    I was thrilled to meet you in person and have you take me for a ride. I've stated that this event is as much about the journey as the destination. You've captured that, even though I suspect you were wondering what you were doing there at the peak of your illness. Your documentation, both written and photographic, is stellar! I'm adding, it certainly is becoming about the people there and you were totally unexpected..... I'm thankful you were able to push through sickness to be. I must add, you are taller in person....
    Looking forward to hearing from and seeing you down the road
    Ride on my Brother in Bangers
    IMG_20220930_163917116_HDR.jpg

J.Ukrop, drdave, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  27. buford_59

buford_59

Joey, I just read the whole article and all the comments. It was like reading a book and not being able to put it down. I met and talked with Tex Smith and Will "Woodie" O'Neil in '74 & '77. They both told me to write like I talk and not try to be someone else. Great tip and that's what you sound like. You made us feel like we were along for the ride. You also make me want to make the trip to the Roc and the same way you guys did; avoid the major cities and the freeways, smell the coffee and the flowers along the way. Been there/done that with the road sickness and I feel for ya. Look forward to more of your writing. DoUg

28. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Great read. Excellent account as well!