Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

had a '33 frame no front crossmember, bent in 1/2", buddy makes the beer brewing vats,
    had me heat the inside of the rail red hot in a vertical 1/2" wide strip, then in a triangle from the vert rail out to the inner frame edge,
    it pulled the wrong way when HOT but pulled it in perfectly when COLD,
    it only can pull as the metal cools /contracts, ask a metal guy about baking the carbon from the steel...
    it works well... go j u go !

Stogy, J.Ukrop, tomkelly88 and 4 others like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hi Art,

Thank you for the message. First and foremost, I hope you are feeling better. There's nothing worse than being out of commission. Also, thank you for reading my TRJ piece and this whole thread. We've covered a lot of ground, in the past two years, that's for sure.

To address your questions:

1) I considered a high-compression head on numerous occasions, but I ended up never pulling the trigger because of the condition of the babbitt. The engine is an older rebuild, and I didn't feel it was necessary to tear it down when it seemed to be doing just fine. I knew that this version wasn't forever, so my number one goal has always been reliability. I need to keep this thing on the road!

2) I never ended up running shocks. The main factor there was cost. Friction shocks were out of my budget, and I don't have the facilities to weld on tube shock brackets here at my home garage. For how I use the car, it seems to be fine without them?

3) The body on the car is actually really nice. The "wonkiest" part is near the tack strip on the passenger side where there's a homemade patch panel. Other than the filled bullet holes in the doors, brazed door handle holes and the usual rust in the wheelwells and lower cowl, it's a presentable body. The subrails are just about perfect.

Best of luck with the health and the firewall. Post some pictures when you're done!

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

B6ACC34D-63EE-40BA-9548-37C86100A4DB.jpeg Made me think of you when we were leaving town Sunday morning. Thought you’d get a chuckle out of it

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_8298.jpg
    I'm in the middle of a number of work deadlines right now, but I figured I would share a quick snapshot to let you guys know that the roadster is heading in the right direction. Yesterday, David and I combined a Portapower and a cross-beam on a 1928 building to work the frame back into shape. With any luck I'll be able to share the full update tomorrow.

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, mctim64 and 13 others like this.
  5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sure "Art Morrison" is paying close attention to this thread about how to do it correctly!
    Way cool, high tech components, to achieve a straight frame !

Stogy, barrnone50, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  6. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That may be among the sketchiest and yet safest things I've seen on this site! :p
    ~Peter

Stogy, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Challenge excepted lol

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was wondering what that big beam was for. The ones in my shop are used mostly for lifting stuff until they make creaking cracking sounds.

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, I don’t have that many extensions for my old Blackhawk

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Very much so! I'm about to jump into the more in-depth explanation. Speaking of Mr. Morrison: did you know he piloted wheelstanders during drag racing's Golden Age?

Art-wheetstander.jpg

Don't worry, all. We took proper safety precautions!

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18, Tim and 2 others like this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm back at my desk and it's time for a long-overdue update. For those of you who were wondering where I've been, you can read the full account here.
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 11.31.17 AM.png
    And for those of you have already read and commented, I just wanted to say thank you. I appreciate you guys more than you know. Without you, there would be no Jalopy Journal and no Roadster Build Thread.

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let's turn back the clock to early October. The car is 100% disassembled, and the frame is sitting on a custom table built out of pieces of the Golden Gate Bridge (1937 International Orange paint and all). David has just purchased a Portapower, and we're determined to straighten the frame.

First, he recommends I create a plumbob out of a nut and some twine. I affix it the ceiling beam beneath a favorite Rodder's Journal poster.
    IMG_8296.jpg
    Next, we break out the Portapower with extensions.
    IMG_8298.jpg
    It's important to note that the iPhone lens makes this look crooked, even though it's not. We measured it in all directions using multiple levels. Once it was square, worked the handle and watched the Portapower slowly do its job. We had to push it pretty far because the frame wanted to spring back. When it was all said and done, we successfully brought the passenger side down 1/2-inch.
    IMG_8305.jpg
    Much better.
    IMG_8306.jpg
    We checked everything with a level and, after we gave it the green light, I started reassembly. I made a point to do it entirely by myself.
    IMG_8307.jpg
    A fun part was installing the engine with this heavy duty chain hoist that David found at the local dump. It's a real workhorse.
    IMG_8309.jpg
    While I was at it, I trimmed the lower motor mounts to better fit the frame.

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, warbird1 and 10 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_8311.jpg
    As I prepared to install the front shock mounts, I had to fill these five holes.
    IMG_8313.jpg
    It's far from perfect, but there's no denying that it's a genuine '32 frame. I plan to finesse it more prior to powdercoat. Due to popular demand, David revamped some vintage brown primer for me to spray.
    IMG_8314-1.jpg Getting a feel for the front shock placement with our rigid Mocshocs.
    IMG_8320.jpg
    I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work late on Wednedsay, which meant that I got to be in Petaluma at night for the first time ever. It was such a treat to see the Buckhorn's sign lit up on the Boulevard. I plan to take a picture of my roadster beneath its neon glow soon.

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, Nobey and 14 others like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On Saturday morning I was back in Petaluma with a clear goal in mind: mount the front shocks. Whatever else I finished would be a bonus.
    IMG_8390.jpg
    David and I started with a roadster trip to M. Maselli & Sons hardware. With its shelves, stacks and racks of rusty treasure, the place is like a real-life I Spy book.
    IMG_8388.jpg
    Everywhere we looked, I found inspiration for future projects.
    IMG_8389.jpg
    Motor Mountain, anyone?

After spending a few minutes there, David and I decided that I need to build a minibike chopper next. We're naming it "The Pen Knife" and it's going to be unlike anything you've ever seen. But that'll be after the A is 100% dialed in.

Once we both got the hardware we needed, we hopped back in his roadster and headed back to the shop.
    IMG_8391.jpg
    Over at home base, I rolled my chassis out into the parking lot. That's where David snapped this picture that I really like. The car is looking more complete than ever and, as you can clearly see, I'm happy to be right there working on it.
    IMG_8393.jpg
    As I dove into the shock bracket installation, I heard a familiar sound. It was Brendan in his Model A roadster. The car is spot-on with its dropped axle, smooth running 'banger and Mitchell overdrive.
    IMG_8394.jpg
    Such a clean car, inside and out.
    IMG_8395.jpg
    If this isn't hot rodding, then I don't know what is!

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, mctim64 and 12 others like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_8400.jpg
    To properly drill the holes for the brackets, I removed the front wheels and drums. Initially, I used a series of small drills, but they were no match for the frame. So, I broke out the heavy artillery.
    IMG_8403.jpg
    This thing means business. It had no problem drilling the 7/16ths holes for the shock brackets.
    IMG_8402.jpg
    Measure, measure and measure again. IMG_8407.jpg
    Just like that, we have shocks!

For this car, I am running Ridetech shocks on all four corners. I've been working with Ridetech/Fox Factory as a writer/photographer for the past year and a half, and I'm genuinely interested to see how they'll work with all my original early Ford parts. They'll be painted white to match.

Oh, and see that decal on there? I designed the crest logo and made foil stickers to help give the shocks a more vintage look. IMG_8280.jpg
    A couple more shots.
    IMG_8408.jpg
    So, with that, we've finished all major chassis fabrication.
    IMG_8409.jpg
    I jumped up and down on the frame; it feels good and doesn't bottom out.
    IMG_8410.jpg

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Killin it. Big time.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Other odds'n ends
    IMG_8404.jpg
    Started installing the exhaust bolts, but realized that I'm going to need some thick washers. Looks like another hardware store trip is in order.
    IMG_8399.jpg
    Hammer Time!
    IMG_8445.jpg
    I've been driving Version 1.5 a lot lately. Tonight I took it for a foggy night cruise through the Haight and Richmond. I always enjoy shopping at Amoeba and grabbing a slice of pizza from Escape from New York. The car was liking the crisp fall air.

Well, that about does it for the update. I have a few small parts on the way, and I'm itching to get back to the shop to turn some wrenches. Next up, we're tackling the pedals and rebuilding the F-1 steering box.

Thank you everyone for sticking with me!

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, warbird1 and 18 others like this.
  18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Another great installment! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I’m loving it. That foil sticker is fantastic! Great work!

20. Budget36

Budget36

Yep, Joey needs to do a “how to” to make one.

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  21. cabong

cabong

Sometimes mechanical trivia is a curse. It's easy to know way too much about way too little. But I reckon that's life in the garage.... So what the hell am I talk'n about... I'm curious to know if that big 'ol chain hoist that came from the dump is a Ratcliff. They have been around forever, and still have quite a following. They are indestructible, which is why yours still works. I had a very good friend back in the 60's who lived in Belmont. His name is Bruce Ratcliff, and his father started the company. Bruce worked for his Dad, starting out literally sweeping floors, and went on to own the company. When I met him, he was past the sweeping, but not yet to the owning phase.
    Needless knowledge, but part of life, and I'm glad that you and that chain hoist jogged my memory back to such a fun time in my life. I had a '57 Custom 300 2-dr with a "late model" 292 an 3-spd....
    Keep up the good work !!!

Stogy, warbird1, J.Ukrop and 5 others like this.
  22. Great updates Joey!! You're making great progress and I can't wait to see the car in person. So many personal touches that make all of the difference. Thanks for all of the updates and we ride along with you on your hot rod journey!!

Brian B

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks Joey! It is really looking good. You are a sponge and just soaking up what is around you and you have put yourself in the right spots with the right folks. Good on you!

Stogy, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  24. hillbillyrabbit

hillbillyrabbit

It's always exciting seeing new updates Joey. Thanks for taking us along for the ride

Stogy, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  25. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Great!! The Strings tell the Truth.. Sweet Job!!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks for the update Joey, looks like you've got a square deal there at last. Really like the Neon nights.

J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and Outback like this.
  27. 282doorUK

282doorUK

All looking good there Joey.

Probably a daft question, but it often occurs to me if welding up a bunch of big holes in one area like that could pull the frame out of whack again, or is that not usually considered a problem?

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  28. Jeff34

Jeff34

Ahh, the Buckhorn...nice dive! Great stuff, Joey! Keep on keepin' on.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Found this this morning and thought of
    Your new stickers 5A260E69-DB0E-481F-8026-4D8210209380.jpeg DDE455B5-16DC-4F0F-8A3C-011089E9CB50.jpeg

41 GMC K-18, mctim64, Outback and 5 others like this.
  30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks guys for sticking with me!

Thanks, Tim! Whenever I build something, I stress the little things big time. My brother and I are both avid model builders (him more so than me these days, unfortunately), and we're always going to extra mile to add details that add the smallest pieces to the story. We agreed that in a lot of ways these projects are like big model kits. Big or small, the little things matter.

Maybe I told you this already, but back when I was building my Triumph I made a custom parking pass to put on the left front fork. Kind of like the old Missouri motorcycle registration stickers. I stitched together pieces of old postcards and added a slew of my own design elements. _K3A7651.jpg
    The Arrow Head Motel was a historic motor court in Columbia, Missouri. It sparked my interest in neon signage and was the subject of my first published longform newspaper feature.

Anyways, the shock stickers have a similar feel to this.

I should do a sidebar on it one of these days!

That is some good trivia! I'll get the full scoop from David next time I'm up at the shop.

Thank you for the encouragement, Brian. It's fun to flip back and forth between your thread and mine. I've been loving your progress as of late. Let's keep this going!

Thank you so much. I'm having so much fun and learning every step of the way. What's cool is that I can definitely feel myself becoming more comfortable in the shop, with the tools and with the car itself. I can assemble and disassemble it at the drop of a hat, which I know will be very helpful in the coming years.

I appreciate that! I feel like we're really gaining momentum.

Nothing beats the ol' plumbob!

Feels good to be able to move forward. I've always loved the glow of neon. I'll try to shoot some more next time I'm up there late (hopefully soon).

Thank you! That is a completely fair question, and it's one I had myself. Two things. 1) I jumped around between holes, never filling a full hole at once. This allowed for some cooling. 2) Post-weld I measured everything when I drilled for the F-1 shock mounts. Using my Mocshocks as a rigid guide, the holes landed in the same spot on either side, meaning that everything is in check. I hope it stays that way!

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, 282doorUK and 2 others like this.