Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 350 Chevy or 351w into a 50 merc coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sickboys50, Sep 19, 2022.

?
  1. 350 chevy

130 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. 351 Windsor or Cleveland

79 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. metalshapes

metalshapes

I thought everything that needed to be said about this was said.

But apparently not...

There are various reasons the why the SBC is a more popular engine to do a swap with.
    And they pretty much have all been named.

Some people feel that wrestling their square peg in there makes them better Hot Rodders, and that is cool too.
    If that is meaningful to you, go for it... :)

But the hyper emotional hostility is not cool, as far as I'm concerned.

And also, its a completely made up problem.

For example, I have a Fiat with a BMW engine swapped in, and nobody has ever gotten in my face about it.
    ( I guess Fiat people are just a very tolerant bunch... :) )

And saying that this thread would have chased the OP off and/or made them sell their car seems another over reaction to me.

He may not have liked some of the less nuanced responses, but it may have prepared him for when he takes his Chevy swapped car out in public.
    Where these same attitudes exist ( although rarely expressed in the same way, in person...)

ffr1222k, Just Gary, Tman and 3 others like this.
  2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Maybe this will help to lighten the mood.

About how people can get really upset about the strangest things...

I had my '28 Roadster at a show, and a group of elderly Model A fanatics came though discussing all the things that were done to the cars they saw to "ruin" them.

You know the type... Statler and Waldorf in train engineer pants... :)

One of them split off the group and got in my face ( literally... Standing way too close)
    And said " You took some liberties with that body"

I met his angry glare with a big smile and said " Yep... "

And then he shuffled off again... :)

Budget36 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That is what makes the world a great place! I can appreciate a box stock model A, or a rough barn find or a highly modified one!
    But everyone has their favorites! Everyone! But just because it’s your favorite doesn’t mean it’s the next guys favorite! Nor should anyone try to convince someone to change what is their favorite!
    It’s the nature of humans! That is why sports teams are so popular…or unpopular!
    A wise individual once said “ Peoples are people “, I think of this often, when dealing with people and it answers a lot of questions!

Bones

4. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I drove my fifty mercury around with 351 Winsor and though it was the best choice for s Mercury

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Sickboys50 like this.
  5. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I now drive a 51' Mercury all stock. In the corner of the garage is a Cad 390. I will be putting that in when time is on my side.

Sickboys50, warbird1 and aussie57wag like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brand-loyalty, in the absence of sponsorship funding, is artificial tribalism.

It serves no purpose but that of false division.

To the point that it results in hostility or aggression, it is a character defect.

7. I bet the same folks actually think the stripper is in love with ‘em

Sickboys50, ffr1222k, Blues4U and 6 others like this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaha, this^made me blow beer out my nose :D:D:D

Sickboys50, Blues4U, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would argue that it is more likely for that to actually happen, than brand-loyalty having a positive social outcome.

10. Both are business transactions
    But a car manufacturer will screw ya faster and is much more common

but
    I was brand loyal until I worked at a dealership.
    Talk about sheep. And they kept coming back for more.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    gimpyshotrods and Sickboys50 like this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Admittedly I only got through the first few replies so I apologize for that. Do you have an engine/transmission to replace the flattie? If so, use it. Make it fit and share the experience with your son, it's not easy whatever drivetrain you choose. Many lessons will be learned and he'll remember that forever.

Blues4U and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

All of that is your opinion. I agree with your last statement about hostily, but there is nothing wrong with brand loyalty! It is very common it this world. Some people don’t care about anything , but some folks prefer certain brands of items! And it is their choice in my free America! It is my choice. But I never take issue with anyone not agreeing with me! Some of my choices are based on performance, some just because I like it!
    I am a Ford driving, Harley riding, Hustler mowing, Miller lite drinking guy that rides on Goodyear tires! Some other things, I don’t have a preference. But… brand loyalty is not a bad thing…..if not carried to far! This is my opinion!

Bones

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  13. williebill

williebill

Every time I refresh the HAMB. I'm sorry to see that this thread hasn't gone away.
    Everybody has preferences in most things, but I personally don't give a shit what anyone else prefers.
    I'll be surprised if the OP comes back, and that's a shame.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh well goodbye
    Although I'll cry
    Ain't that a shame
    My tears fell like rain
    Ain't that a shame
    You're the one to blame

Blues4U likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yet , you add to the thread! Lol,

Bones

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Funny Story...

A good friend of mine is a Ford guy through and through. Back when the local dealerships advertised on the shopping carts at Wal-Mart, he would search through the buggies and would only use a "Ford Shopping Buggy".
    He built this 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan. It was a nice car. He put 1955 Mercury Monterey Wagon Taillights on it. If you know '50s Fords, you know how rare and expensive a set of Mercury Wagon Taillights are.
    The Engine....A 1957 312.
    He called this engine "The 350 Killer"....
    Now to make a Y Block a true 350 killer requires going the extra mile. This engine had a custom racing camshaft from Isky. It had the best Y block heads. It was dual quad. It had a set of headers sent off to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating.
    That 312 was Badass. That joker would hit a lick! It was awesome!
    He had it hooked to a Toploader 4speed with a white knob Hurst shifter.
    In the rear...a 9" Posi...
    Again, this 55 Ford was Awesome.
    The money spent on that Ford engine was nearly obscene.

At the K-Mart car show, (really this used to be a big deal) the first gathering after he completed the car, He was chastised almost violently by the "Ford Police"!!!!
    You do not see many '55 Ford sedans at least compared to '55 Chevies. So, his car attracted some attention.
    So up comes this group of blue cap wearing, bill fold chained, bacco chewing "Ford" guys.
    [​IMG]\
    " You ruined it!!!!"
    "This is what you don't do boys, put a Chevy 350 in a Old Ford car. It's ruined."

"He even put fake decals on the valve covers."
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    " Ughh, fellows, That aint a 350!!!" This is a 1957 FORD Y block engine!" my friend said.
    " No, it aint. " Ford never built an engine like this, all Ford V8s have the distributor in the front!!!!"
    You see, since the engine was not blue and did not have the distributor in the front, it was not a....Ford.
    This just drips with irony.
    This begs the question, just who are you trying to impress?
    Those idiots walked away thinking the most awesome '55 Ford they will ever see was "ruined" by Chevy Power.
    My friend who spent obscene money to make that car all Vintage Ford, was still....
    Chevy-Shamed.

D-Russ, ffr1222k, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha, that story is hilarious:D:D I own a 312 Y Block too and I like it a lot because it´s almost as beautiful as the early 283s and 327s I have in my other cars. It just doesn´t run as well ( yet) , but that may be my fault. Still needs some tinkerin

Boneyard51 and F-ONE like this.
  18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

For your viewing and listening pleasure.

19. I’ve got congratulated by “brand loyal” guys for putting a 460 in my Ford.
    The “460”
    73B9A6FE-1C38-47C6-9B10-A49B83BC80F7.jpeg

rod1, DMnTX, Tman and 2 others like this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I love 460 Caddys.;)

Boneyard51 and anthony myrick like this.
  21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You got me on this one, kind of. I was thinking, "That dont look like the 460's I have." I dont have experience with Caddys so I didnt know what it really was.
    Maybe its just my imagination, but I have always thought a Y-Block sounded a little different, in a good way. Never owned one, but heard lots of stories about the 312 Police Interceptor my Uncle had in a 56 Ford, back in the day.

F-ONE and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I think it's good to understand each other. If you build a car, this kind of stuff will come up.
    I'm a Ford guy. I like Fords. I like Ford engines. With this said, I still like me some early Small Block Chevies 283-300HP 350s.
    Anti-Chevy? I can understand the sentiment.
    There was a time....:rolleyes:

Street Rodder was on the shelf. Nearly every page...350/350 turn the page..350/350 what's advertised??? 350/350. Car Craft...350/350 Hot Rod 350/350....and some more 350/350.
    Pop Culture...USA-1.... Like a Rock....Jeese! Louise!!! I heard that in my sleep! Some Old Crusty Guy on the TV...I love my Old Chevy Truck...it starts every time when it's 40 Below here in Montaner.
    Funny thing....My Malibu would balk when it got below 40.o_O
    Then the Chevy guys with thier #3 flags. #3 tags...Black tags with the Orange Bowtie....Window graphics....
    The attitude.
    It was just over the top!!!
    Thank goodness for Super Ford!
    Something different!! At the time all I had was Chevrolet cars, but I was never "one of those guys". It was refreshing to read a copy of SF.
    Galaxies...FEs...289 302s...Y Blocks...429-460s...
    Bill Elliot with the fastest car ever....a Ford. Davey and his T Bird.

To be honest I have to mention the "Ford guy" push-back.
    As obnoxious as the Chevy guys are, the counter from the Ford guys could be even more "out-there".
    It's kind of like the kid who retaliates a little too much on the schoolyard bully. Yes, he took the lunch money but now he' in intensive care. The overwhelming response can be ugly.
    Understandable? Yes. Appropriate? No, not really.
    It's the other side of the same coin.

Then it happened.
    1988-1998-2008-2018------
    Kind of like the old Dion song...I looked around and they were gone.
    No Street Rodder, no Car Craft, no Super Ford, no magazine rack. What's there now is a small space with coloring books, crossword puzzles, maybe a gun book and plenty of stuff about cats.
    Bill Elliot's Ford along with Nascar was choked and water down to mediocracy. You might as well watch Mario Cart. Dale and Davey Died.
    Gone too was the 350/350. The venerable Small Block Chevy while it's still around, its day is over and has been over. It might as well be a Flathead or a Y block.
    It's all different now.
    I'm a period over a brand guy. The Chevy is a 1950's engine and it's great for a Flathead era Ford. I run a Flathead. I really like it, but it does have its limitations.
    A Chevy in a Flathead car? Sure.
    A Chevy in a 54 and up Ford??? No. I'm still not there.
    A 1960's and up Ford Small block in a era Flathead car? Eh...! It really does not fit. It's so 1988 not 1958.
    Personally, I like....1951.:)

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Y blocks are really neat. They were the hottest thing in 1957. Chevrolet had the fuel injected 283 while Ford had the supercharged from the factory Y block.
    Ford went all out in 1957 and did outsell Chevrolet, the first time since about 1940 maybe earlier. Never before or since had so many models been offered off of the same platform. Just look at all the 1957 Ford models.
    Y blocks are heavy. They have their quirks. It must be remembered that a Y block is a 1st generation OHV V8. It's in the same class as a 303 Olds, 331 Cadillac, stuff like that. A lot of what they learned from the Y block went into the FE. Really the FE is an improved Y block. The FE has a sound all its own too.
    Ys are different but they are sure a fun engine to fool with. They are tough.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Best post yet....

ffr1222k and Baumi like this.
  25. dln1949

dln1949

Lots of great conversation here, reminds me of when I asked about putting the AC unit under the seat in my 40 pick up. Both my 40's came with sbc's, ( I really think they were a later factory option) as did the one I had in college. I'm impressed that in this day of cell phones and selfies a 16 year old want's to work on any car. That it's an old Mercury, well encourage him all you can. Whose budget are we working with Mom and Dads or the 16 year old? The lessons he can and will learn if he takes this on, with the help he needs, will benefit him for ever. Pick a style of build, budget and most of all how does he want to use it. Just because it's his first build it it doesn't have to turn out crappy, and which ever engine/trans combo just really won't matter.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My vote is for two Onan V4 generator engines, coupled together, and hooked to a C4, with SU carburetors.

It won't be super fast, but it will keep your kid out of trouble.

Tman and Budget36 like this.
  27. DMnTX

DMnTX

My opinion comes from autism. Ford engines go ford, MOPAR Dodge Chrysler (excluding the Hemi) go into etc. GM engines go in GM and anything that needs an upgrade or the engine it came with doesn’t exist anymore. I have hell enough keeping up with the Ford & MOPAR combinations and part changes they work better in there own vehicles. But I’ve seen 350’s go into every thing with mild effort. Just my opinion not trying to debate.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. I take a tape measure to the boneyard when I shop for parts. If it passes the measuring tape test, we’re good.
    My current beater proudly represents 6 brands.
    They get along just fine.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Tman likes this.
  29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

@Sickboys50 Make plans now for you and your son (heck, your whole family) to head to Bartlesville, OK October 7, 2023, the date of the next Gathering at the Roc. Plenty of threads about this year's GATR on the HAMB. Also their website https://thehotrodgathering.com/about-us/ as well as their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/gatheringattheroc/
    Want to see some of the very best cars from all over the country, including '49-'51 Mercs? You won't be disappointed.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. Duncan71

Duncan71

My opinion…

My first car was a Delta 88 455…. I wanted to make power, and it was too expensive for a 16 y/o. That car got stolen…

At 17 I bought a great 71 Cutlass…. Had a bit more money, did some things, but the cost to build it was beyond my grasp. Everyone says swap in a 350 and do an LS swap. Ended up selling the car…

1982 Cherokee Chief. AMC motor…. Parts were hard to find, weird (to the uninitiated) setup…. Cool body and chassis. Sold it.

Various other cool cars later…. All semi rare (old Nissans, Toyotas, can’t even remember them all)

I now have a 48 International (SBC powered) and a 1957 Chevy (LS powered). Why? Because I realized that when it came to doing something cool it comes down to two things 1: experience and skill and 2: money.

The reality is if there is an engine builder or how to article, or information needs to be obtained - it’s there for the Chevy mills. And if I need header gaskets or an intake I can walk into my local parts store, and walk out with it that day. While there are tons of great ford motors, the same just can’t be said for them.

I’ve found that my interest doesn’t wane from lack of motivation, but rather from inability to acquire parts, rising costs, and questions. A Chevy motor is going to alleviate those, and I often think I’d still have a lot of those cars kicking around if they had just been a little bit less of a headache.

Baumi likes this.