Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Chevy Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, May 8, 2011.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

LOOKING GOOD .!

2. Voh

Voh

Been wiring this for a little bit now. Almost done. Have the rear light terminated. hung the front inner fender to run the wires to the front.
    IMG_8808[1].JPG IMG_8809[1].JPG

72yenkonova and Shadow Creek like this.
  3. Voh

Voh

Little gauge preview.
    IMG_8662[1].JPG

72yenkonova and Shadow Creek like this.
  4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a different approach from the tiny stock gauges to the left of the speedo, I like it! What are those gauges out of?

5. Voh

Voh

They are Woodward gauges from New Vintage. Little modern for here, but they have the right look.

72yenkonova likes this.
  6. Voh

Voh

Well, after a VERY long time, i pulled it out of the shop under its own power a couple weekends ago! Its been going around the block for a little bit now. There was pretty big dead spot in the carb on acceleration, so I rebuilt the 2G this past weekend. made a huge difference. I put the front fenders back on for a minute, cause I was tired of working on them on the ground.
    FGIA9039[1].JPG
    IDOW3395[1].JPG

TFoch, 72yenkonova and Shadow Creek like this.
  7. Voh

Voh

Did some more sanding and added a coat of rattle can primer on the passenger headlight to look at it. few pin holes to address, but pretty much there.
    XFYK3905[1].JPG MSHU5485[1].JPG OANP3722[1].JPG

72yenkonova and TFoch like this.
  8. Voh

Voh

IMG_1283[1].JPG Loaded up the car last night to take it to the upholstery shop for a quote. Thought it made a decent profile shot.

9. burger

burger

Voh,

Looks good! I like the frenched headlights.

I'm very interested to hear the quote for the interior- mine needs to be reupholstered as well. What are you planning to do with the interior?

Which radiator did you use? Are you happy with it?

Ed

10. Voh

Voh

Here are a couple progress photos as well as a completed photo from getting it home last night. I will get a few more in the sunlight. Very Happy with it!
    IMG_1649[1].JPG
    DQJE7386[1].JPG IMG_2202[1].JPG

1pickup, Just Gary, Tman and 5 others like this.
  11. Nice work, looks great!

12. Voh

Voh

Took her out to the first car show a few weekends back. Stills LOTs of bond work and sanding, but its getting there.
    BJKJ8471[1].JPG

13. Voh

Voh

After many, many years, I finally drove the sedan out of the neighborhood and out to a car show. Drive went really well. little leak around the gas filler neck and a little oil, but it run nice. Also got to meet a cool HAMB'r and his '35
    IMG_5230[1].JPG IMG_6945[1].JPG IMG_6942[1].JPG

Tman, F-ONE, 72yenkonova and 2 others like this.
  14. burger

burger

That’s awesome that you got her back on the road! Have you been driving much since?

Do you have pictures of the interior with the headliner and carpet?

If I didn’t mention this already, your garage looks great!

Ed

15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Voh,
    Car is looking great. Its come a long way! And love the interior too.

16. Voh

Voh

I haven't done any more with the interior other than seatbelts and a car seat tether system. No headliner, door cards or new upholstery on the rear seat (just using a sheet over the original) . I am going to start putting down sound mat this weekend. It drives pretty well. Only thing I really need to address is some oil dripping. I cannot tell if its from the fuel pump plate(s) or from around the harmonic balancer. With this being an early motor, the crank isn't drilled for a balancer bolt, and has be hesitant of removal.

17. Voh

Voh

Thank you. its been a long journey, but its sure nice to finally drive it.

18. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Nice car done the right way. Good on ya for getting to that stage finally. My project has never been so apart as yours but the last 3 years were one big time waste so I think I know how you felt all through these years.

19. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is looking good! Frenching the lights was a good idea, that's the kind of subtle mod's that catch the eye and make the car stand out. Did you do the upholstery?

20. Voh

Voh

I did not. Had a guy in town here do it.

21. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks good, I'm waiting for my '41 to come home from the paint shop, upholstery is the next thing on the list so I'm always on the look-out for interesting designs, colors, and pointers from guys who do that kind of work.

22. Voh

Voh

Couple pics from the LukenRod car show in the fall. Looking forward to Lonestar next weekend.
    IMG_5230.jpg IMG_5220.jpg

23. burger

burger

Looking good!

24. Voh

Voh

thank you @burger. I have put some miles on it and have much of the little bugs worked out. it REALLY needs to have a frame notch with these current lowering blocks, but I haven't decided to go that route yet. Also trying to decide on the color.

25. burger

burger

Do you have any ideas planned for the frame notch? The unique cross section could make it a challenge!

26. Voh

Voh

@burger I have been looking at a couple of them. One is the setup by Murray Customs.
    https://www.murraykustomrods.com/st...Chevy-Air-Ride-Rear-Suspension-Kit-p389208535

The other one I have been looking at is the 2-link form Jimenez Brothers.
    https://www.jimenezbroscustoms.net/product-page/1940-1948-chevy-car-2-link

I an thinking i need to link it, as I don't know how strong that frame would be once you cut it up and still try and run a leaf spring. Other issues: 1) I don't have a lift, so good welding might be a little tough. 2) My frame isn't perfect, so I don't know how it would clean up for welding.

27. Voh

Voh

I tried to paint the car this weekend. It seemed to start off pretty well. Didn't finish very well. Now it looks like I'm going to learn how to wet sand.
    upload_2024-2-26_10-56-9.png

[​IMG]

upload_2024-2-26_10-55-1.png

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  28. burger

burger

I like the color!

29. Voh

Voh

Thank you! I messed it up though. I have to sand most of it.

30. Looks good from here. I have friends who paint on a regulr enough basis; they always plan on cutting and buffing, so you're on course. Maybe you have a rougher finish to start off, but it should look good in the end!