Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 350 Chevy or 351w into a 50 merc coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sickboys50, Sep 19, 2022.

?
  1. 350 chevy

130 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. 351 Windsor or Cleveland

79 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That is your OPINION- doesn't make it FACT- no matter how many double spaces you use for emphasis lol :D

warbird1, loudbang and Sickboys50 like this.
  2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

Plus, the SBC just happens to be a pretty good fit in any spot designed for the Flat Head V8.

Some more historical context..

Within the HAMB cut off years, what would have been available would have been puny little 221 and 260 Ford V8's, with cylinder heads that breathed about as well as an asthmatic child in a summer meadow.
    The HiPo 289 existed, but wasn't that easy to get.
    ( The Sunbeam Factory racing team begged for them, for their 1964 Le Mans racers.
    But they didnt get them.
    So they did the race with 260's, both of them blew up, which made that year's LeMans effort a miserable failure )

So the SBF wasnt really that attractive for a enterprising young Hot Rodder, unless Momma crashed her Fairlane Wagon, I guess.

But that family of engines existed so they are all grandfathered in on the HAMB( just like the 400 SBC is )
    The Cleveland was introduced in '69, so its too new.

The SBC started out with a couple of years of headstart.
    Ford could have clawed some of that back, if they would have had a affordable over the counter head ( something like the 4bar GT40P head, but many decades earlier )
    And if factory developed and dyno'd parts to work with hem ( like GM did with the Doublehump heads )

But they didn't.

So if Ford didn't care, why should we..

5window, 57JoeFoMoPar and Tman like this.
  3. metalshapes

metalshapes

The man's time of death is a fact.
    Unlike the fake quote you posted, which kills any credibility you might have had...

INVISIBLEKID, Tman and anthony myrick like this.
  4. Anyone can quote Ford
    E6A66583-78B2-4A78-B8FC-185B2CC50D4A.jpeg

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Again, your OPINION- which means no more than anyone else's in the grand scheme, no matter who you think you are lol o_O Bye, now, gotta go change the catbox :p

6. twenty8

twenty8

Sometimes it is an eye-opener to approach a question from the total opposite direction. Let's see.
    How many hot rodders have transplanted a Ford engine into their Chevy???
    I would like to hear from you now........... Preferably both of you.......:D:rolleyes:

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I think the scab has been pulled off this one enough times- the Chebbrainwashed will always be lol

warbird1 likes this.
  8. twenty8

twenty8

It's really a fair question, but only if you leave the brand loyalty bullshit behind and accept the reasons why it was done.
    Convenience and cost. The small block chev engine just fit better. The rest, as they say, is history.......

ottoman and Baumi like this.
  9. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Nothing fits an old Ford more perfectly than a flathead except a SBC. 8^)

zorasbc-1.jpg

Bill's Auto Works, Just Gary and Tman like this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I don't know about that....;)
    [​IMG]

rod1, warbird1, williebill and 2 others like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You mean like this one?

Bones
    31C57180-75FF-4D0E-B843-E39DD57AEA16.jpeg 31C57180-75FF-4D0E-B843-E39DD57AEA16.jpeg E4A3653C-B4A8-4028-8EB8-6EAA82E3A7B6.jpeg

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have been following this thread for a while now and it amazes me how folks don’t respect other folks opinions! And have resorted to name calling! While I have been sucked into these spats, I do try to avoid them! I have my opinion , but after 131 opinions, I don’t think 132 will make any difference, but I prefer the Ford engines in Fords. But I realize the popularity of the SBC and ease install, but it does get kinda boring. What I really like to see in old hot rods are the Caddies,Olds , Naiheads, FEs and MoPars, instead of the SBC. You know something kinda different! The OP asked for opinions and pointers, I think he got some…well maybe a lot! :rolleyes:

Bones

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I agree with most of what you said.

BTW, I have some Chevy powered Fords, but my wife's '63 Falcon has a early 5 bolt bell 289 in it and I have 3 Off Topic Ford powered cars of my own.

So I'm not exactly anti Ford.

I just thought a certain Member's bizarre aggression and hostility towards people who happen to make a different choice than he would needed a counterpoint... :)

rod1, ottoman, Tman and 4 others like this.
  14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I am not pointing fingers at anyone! Folks have opinions! You should never attack an opinion! It’s a opinion! I like being on the HAMB! And I respect everyone’s opinions! Now I say “ respect” to quote Atreha! Doesn’t meant I agree! …..lol :)

Bones

Budget36 likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. LMFAO!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, go back to the first page of this thread and see his first post, out of the gates insulting those who hold a different opinion.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...w-into-a-50-merc-coupe.1274745/#post-14618152

And not his first time, everytime this type of question comes up this is how he responds. It's obviously a personal thing for him.

19. The ignore function is awesome.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

My personal opinion ( feel free to disagree ) is that people like that are toxic to this forum, Hot Rodding, and car culture in general...

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well about 20 years ago I started building a 56 chevy gasser that I planned on flipping, my buddies were giving me grieve because I am the Ford guy in the group. So, one weekend I mocked in one of my 429's and told the guys I was going to call it "Ultimate Indiscretion "! lol They flipped out because they knew I am just crazy enough to do it. Lucky for them I sold the rolling Chassis and the guy that bought it but a big block in. So who is the other guy? I check and saw the OP was on the board yesterday so I guess he didn't get scared away completely We really need to start chilling a bit people. lol Larry

Boneyard51, Blues4U and twenty8 like this.
  22. If people worried less about what others do with their old cars, there would be more finished old cars on the road…

arkiehotrods and Blues4U like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the way to do it! It is well known that I am a “dyed in the wool” Ford man! Since this is general knowledge in my circle of friends I get “ harrased” all the time. My good friend and close neighbor is a Chevy guy! So….our time is spend sending each other crazy stuff about Ford vs Chevy! Sometimes I will find something so good about Chevy….I will actually send it to him! We always keep it light hearted and fun! I think some folks here have forgot about the “ fun” part! Here is something for you Chevy guys, since the State of Oklahoma raised the speed limit to 85 on our turnpikes!

Bones A27D20F6-23C5-4862-B22E-6B03C4E65A99.jpeg

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think many (most?) of us around here are not dyed in the wool for any brand, we just like machinery and hot rodding. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Stude, Hudson, Packard, whatever, it's all good. Why someone get's their panties in a bunch over what brand of machinery someone else uses is beyond me, get over yourselves.

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I still want the op to post a pic

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

27. Thank you for posting the TRUTH!

As I get older, I very much appreciate the "oddball" cars & setups, but that doesn't change the fact that it is always easier & cheaper to put a small block in it & basically have something that is going to make good power, cost less & last for a long time!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

arkiehotrods likes this.
  28. Well if Sickboys50 is actually following this thread and wants his Son to get involved with the Crowd of Old Car Guys, the example we here have shown him he's probably pulled the plug and blocked the H.A.M.B. from his computer. We as a sample of some kind of normal have shown a Piss Pore example of people. He probably wants his son to fit in both socially and Kool Car owner but not owner with a bunch of people that are going to look down there noses for having any kind of motor under the hood that They don't think should be there. Nice going guys! Hell, he may already have a For Sale sign on his dream. Nice support system here.

29. 73RR

73RR

I'll agree with the folks that have suggested looking for a complete running donor car. It will provide more bits and pieces than can first be imagined. Brand? Not as important as cost and availability as long as the engine/trans fits in the Merc. Late model EFI packages will be a PITA so the donor needs to be older or have a common intake and ignition system with pre-computer cars, probably mid-80's cutoff.
    So, what kind of donors are actually available in the marketplace? It would be interesting if some of 'you' guys would take a look at your locale and post what you find. I found 70's -80's pickups, a couple late 70's Mopar sedans and some 80's GM sedans priced under $2000 in a quick search. They were definitely not 'pretty'.
    Since the OP didn't bother to include his location we can't help with a search for a donor.

Yup, having a 'store-bought' swap kit would help but the 'guy' doing the work still has to have fab skills and a decent shop to work in, both for disassembly and assembly. As also mentioned, the rest of the car needs to be in top shape before attempting to double or triple the hp.......
    As a first time dad-son project this might be a bit too much unless dad has an unmentioned skill set.

30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess here´s why these darn small Chevys fit so well into our early Fords. They were made for them.

duntov 1.jpg duntov 2.jpg duntov 3.jpg

Zora sure was a wise man.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022