Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is this dying out, what's next?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

A buddy and I work on our cars weeknights and we've recently bean having hotrod night on Wednesdays. We drive our cars a lot and have people ask us about our cars and frequently we're told about their model A roadster in their shed or something that they want to build but don't have the skills but want to learn. We invite them to come by on one of our hotrod nights and meet others and watch or help or just meet other car guys and share knowledge or just make some friends. So far, we spend more time visiting than we do getting much done but that's alright. In time we expect to go to other guys shops and lend a hand too.

2. National Shoe Retailers Association….
    “We’re always a step ahead”
    Seminars:
    Are side zipper boots making a come back?
    Are Chuck Taylors acceptable formal wear?
    How to spot counterfeit Penny Loafers.
    “One small step for man, one giant profit for retailers”

3. impala4speed

impala4speed

[QUOTE="gene-koning, postI'd love to see a "modernized" section on the HAMB covering HAMB era vehicles with more modern underpinnings, and wheels that may not be "period correct".[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this.

4. I see a lot of younger folks buying older rides. With the “what’s popular when you were young” theory, 30+ year olds paying high prices for stuff most here scoff at hold that theory as truth.
    A 30 something offered me 5k for a roller late 60s f100. Trucks bring crazy $$$$. I’ve seen late 60s f100 grills bring $750-$1000. I was offered $250 for a pair of headlight trim pieces. 15-20 years ago I could buy a decent truck for $1500.
    it ain’t the street rod grey beards driving those prices.
    4x4 stuff is unreal.
    Older guys on FB pages are complaining about the younger guys driving up prices. Kinda the opposite of the story here.
    Cut off dates for car shows? Luckily that garbage has just about ended. The main reason? Younger builders don’t share the same year or era prejudices or elitism as previous gens.
    I wish the NSRA had shows closer to my custom car wasteland.
    The cars that fit here, as awesome and as much as I dig them, should not be used as the barometer for what’s happening.
    The “younger” crowd is building a lot of rides.
    I’d bet the brass era restorers said the same in the 50s and 60s about “hoodlums” and their hot rods.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  5. NSRA has not changed......see NSRA-USA.com. I don't like the newer cars at both NSRA and Goodguys, but if that's what they have to do to survive, so be it. Think of it this way: how many of the members on the Hamb have cars that do not meet the strict requirements, (the majority would be my guess), but still add tons of greatness to our forum? It's really is no different. It's the members, not necessarily their rides.

Sky Six, chopped and Mo rust like this.
  6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They are both businesses, members don’t have a say. They do what they need to do to make a profit.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Next big thing..."period correct" '70s & '80s street rods

8. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it'll be fun. But it won't be here on the HAMB.

Tim, Mo rust, jimmy six and 2 others like this.
  9. those ain’t here. But there’s places that specialize in just about what ever style and era you can fathom

10. When all around me guys were building monochrome hot rods, with IFS and tweed interiors I was still building resto rod styled cars and my stuff looked out of place but I was building to make me happy, not anyone else.

Then I found the hamb and felt like I had found others that had similar taste in cars, very little has changed in my build practices, possibly the cars are lower but essentially I like the Ford bodies pretty much the way Henry built them.

There will be changes in the future and I am positive many guys ,including Hambers will jump ship and join in the text craze what ever that is, not me I'll stick to the simple styles. HRP

11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you are not encouraging people to come into our hobby, then you are discouraging them by indifference.....intentional or not! ;)

impala4speed and Just Gary like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have no idea what you guys are talking about really... The NSRA and Goodguys have zero relevance to anything I've ever focused on in this world. In fact, I don't think I've ever been to a Goodguys event in my life... And I haven't been to an NSRA event since they kicked me out of the OKC Nats in the 1990s... for... uhhh... hot rodding.

Hot rodding has never been about those huge ass shows to me... In fact I think I hot rod, in part, to spite those kinds of things.

Carter, Lakeside65, Paint and 12 others like this.
  13. Those were some horrible years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anthony myrick and jimmy six like this.
  14. I could get behind this, but not on the HAMB, of course.

15. 34Phil

34Phil

Got your teal paint, earthquake stripe and tweed interior at the ready?

16. squirrel

squirrel

17. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

That sure seems cynical, Ryan. There are plenty of nice traditional cars, FED's, lowriders etc at my local Good-Guys. Autocross is fun to watch too. I often run into old friends I haven't seen in years. Just because every car isn't in line with my taste doesn't mean its not enjoyable or relevant. The fairgrounds have also been 20 minutes from my house my entire life, so that's a factor too.

18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

@safetythird , NSRA= National Street Rod Assoc.= not allowed on here and you are not missing much UNLESS you buy one of those street rods and want to make it cool again

safetythird likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do you get there in 20-minutes! It takes that long to get to the bottom of the hill that your house is on!

20. Budget36

Budget36

My oldest and youngest daughter spent the last weekend in SanBernadino, long drive, two nights hotel, all for a non HAMB show.
    That’s what they like..I’ve never spent an overnight thing for shows/events, but I’m sure many here have.
    I’m sure it’s been said, but seek out what you want to attend, have the time and $$ to get, go for it.
    Yes my girls are the “new age” of hotrod folk, they don’t have an interest in my stuff, but I do smile for a bit when they head out to their events.
    (Yes, been to local ones with them)

21. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I raced for 50 years and I've seen NHRA make many changes over the years. That brings me to things have changed so much the old class racing is dying with the limited tire classes , no prep , and big money bracket racing. I quit racing NHRA maybe 10 years ago to only race at local Stock/Super Stock races for the same reason as not going to shows. I'm building my 1st hot rod at 70 and plan on driving it everywhere but I will not pay to show my car anywhere.

Algoma56 likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’m not cynical, I just know what I like… and dont waste time on stuff I don’t.

In general, I don’t like car shows. And almost universally, I can’t stand big car shows.

23. I can’t help but agree with @Ryan, do what makes you happy. Don’t worry about things you can’t control. Problem solved.

24. 327Eric

327Eric

Everything that was old will be new again. Prices will drop, and climb again. Sure, many will give up carbs for injection, and unobtainium will be replaced by obtanium, but the cars will live on. I keep picturing bald headed and gray bearded old guys in saggy cargo shorts at the good guys show, hanging out in front of their mini trucks and vws while Vanilla Ice blasts on the speakers . in the back row though, there are the guys who were always there, and their cars will be as outdated and cool, then, as now , as in days past. And Don McLean sings on

rod1, Budget36 and Fordors like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would go to a swap meet or a junkyard before a car show any day of the week. I drive my old cars plenty, going to the bank, the hardware store, the junkyard, the grocery store, to my pals places to see what they are workin on and just for a blast to clear my head....

26. Was cruising thru town late night in the old beater. Seen a bunch of “hoodlums” hanging out in a parking lot with their beaters. Mostly newer stuff.
    Pulled in and just hung out for a while.

great time

rod1, ekimneirbo, F-ONE and 2 others like this.
  27. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

That would make a good T-shirt!

curbspeed and Moriarity like this.
  28. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

If only there was a Hamb equivalent for that time period. Whenever I search for that , all I see is musclecar stuff.

impala4speed likes this.
  29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The cost for going to the SRN is very reasonable......whether you are just a spectator or a participant. You get an opportunity to see more hot rods in one place than you have probably seen collectively in your whole life. They have a swap meet, seminars on how to do things, a huge vendor display wing where you can get discounts and even free stuff. There is so much ground to cover that you can't see it all in one day, and they provide trollies to shuttle people around the place. There is a professional build area in one building that shows the fantastic talent some people have. They give away free car worth well over $50K each year. This year I was able to pick up a car body I bought and save shipping or transport charges, as well as getting 10% discount on about $3K worth of parts I ordered from Summit.

I'd say that I came out ahead financially as well as having a great time and meeting lots of nice people. I snapped probably a hundred detail pictures with my camera to get ideas for my own build. I also saved a bunch of money on my front suspension components because I was able to see the products and compare them as well as talking first hand to the vendors. One vendor wanted $350 to ship while another vendor only charged me a $100. They also had the better product as it had some features the first vendor didn't have, and the first vendor wanted another $300 for a component that was standard on the second vendors unit. I saved enough on just that to pay for tickets and hotel rooms. I live near by, so I don't have to actually rent a room, but those of you who do, should realize that there are lots of deals to be had.......and they may save you more than the travel costs......+ you get to see and meet a lot of really nice people.

Anyone who has never been to the SRN should give it a try at least one time before they stick their head in the sand and say its not for them. As for the entry fee, its a bargain in my opinion. :)

One other thing............why do so many of you feel that segments of rodding have to be mutually exclusive? Likes and dislikes and personal taste in the rodding world have lots of room for overlapping and don't have to be " a line in the sand" thing. I can see many a beautiful car ...........some that fit the Hamb definition and some that don't......but I can learn from and enjoy all of them.

The car below was beautiful and I talked to the owner/home builder of it. Super nice people.........yet if I took a picture of this very same car from a different angle, it would not be allowed on the Hamb. My gain your loss.
    DSCN5746.JPG

Those of you who didn't attend didn't get to see these cars either......but I did!
    32 with Cad2.JPG
    32 with Cad3.JPG
    View attachment 5526745
    DSCN5493.JPG
    DSCN5543.JPG
    DSCN5570.JPG
    DSCN5601.JPG
    DSCN5798.JPG

Yup, even Hamb friendly cars are allowed at the SRN..........

As someone likes to say "C'mon guys".......
    Lighten Up and lets work together and support each other rather than beingalways trying to dis anything that isn't just like we would do it.;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  30. all the venues are charging enormous amounts for spots and the they dont make enough to pay for labor ,travel expense, etc. motels fuel and food . then the state wants to tax the little guy that has a few used parts he wanted to sell that was laying around the garage and they ask for a tax registry # . I gave up selling since they started to suck the blood out of u . everybody is disgusted, and they are taking the fun out of going to a swap meet and rummaging tru the junk trying to find a part and make a deal .Its all about electric cars VOTE FOR THE RIGHT PEOPLE.because they want to do away with hot rods and customs.

327Eric likes this.