Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration **** Friday Art Show ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frogz, Sep 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sololobo

sololobo

Most excellent gang, Thanx to all!

Stogy, robber, Jigger and 3 others like this.
  2. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

4. It is easier than ever to find Dick. Each week, Jeff has been starting it, Friday mornings. He pins it to the top through Sunday, removes the pin Sunday evening, then it is up to members to d a simple search to find it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  5. Latigo

Latigo

6. Speaking of my old friend Steve Stanford, here's a poor scan of an illustration he did while living in Utah in the 70's & early 80's.
    This was given to me as an award for Best Custom at a local show in 1983.
    You're right Steve is just flat out a great guy!

Mick
    img072.jpg

b-bop, Animal, dana barlow and 33 others like this.
  7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @51pontiac A couple of weeks ago you asked for some tips. Your perspectives and proportions are spot-on, but to take it to the next level, you need to study "shiny".
    Not that I'm criticizing your art, nor am I some kind of expert...just something I've learned over the years...and maybe this can be some use to you...or anyone else.

You CAN'T draw shiny, all you can do is fool the viewer into thinking something is shiny by the use of "reflections". Shiny paint...and of course chrome, reflect their surrondings...and to convince the viewer that something in your artwork is shiny, you have to imagine a light source (which you do)...and a landscape to reflect.

In my mind, this is close to what I use. Brown, gray/brown surface, a distant tree-line horizon, and blue sky.
    art2.jpg

Then, you have to imagine/visualize how the curves of the body, and shape of the chrome would reflect that light source and landscape. This will give your art contrast and depth. Note; the distinct horizon line on all the chrome. art3.jpg art5.jpg art7.jpg art8.jpg

It will take some practice...and definably check out some other automotive artists (many here on the FAS), and study their techniques.

I'm just OK at it, but the GREAT auto illustrators (Steve Stanford obviously) have it amazingly, down to a science.
    Most of my art has been black and white flyer work, or 4-color for T-shirt silkscreening, so I've had to learn a couple techniques of "reflection" to fool viewers to believe "shiny". arty3.jpg

Same car, 2 different "shiny" illustration techniques. arty6.jpg arty5.jpg

Hope this is some help.

b-bop, Animal, Sancho and 38 others like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. I don’t know if remembrance is an art but I figure my dad would like seeing his convertible here on this thread. 49A2D8CF-421E-499D-A48D-8478B31AE086.jpeg

10. Plymouth or Graham?

Stogy likes this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

12. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Awesome comment..thank you! I have been trying to get the shine but most end up like this one. I was actually trying to study how Cree did it on the Pontiac hood a couple weeks ago. Chrome has also been a challenge for me but I intend to figure it out. I appreciate the info provided here and find I have been going back over the previous weeks of FAS every once in a while trying to study the masters. I am seeing some improvements but lots of work to go…really enjoying relearning this stuff.
    Cheers,
    Warren

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually Warren, I'm quite envious of your computer skills. I can't fathom how you do such nice work using a computer;). All I can do is give you a little advice on the visual aspect...but don't have a friggin' clue how to achieve any of that using graphic skills. I'm just an old "drawn by hand" dinosaur.;) self2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Animal, Packrat, Sancho and 10 others like this.
  14. The '39 Plymouth is a work of art. I also like the composition in the shot. The stairway and upper walk way create great framing that draws your eyes to the big bright red focal point.

39_PLYM:KUSTOM_low_res_1.jpg

b-bop, Animal, Sancho and 25 others like this.
  15. guy1unico

guy1unico

16. rust&patina

rust&patina

17. It may be my imagination, but this shot of Gray rocks. In my mind this resonates as a feeling I often get at the end of a long day at some distant car show. It's all I do. I don't work a regular job. I draw at shows, take some work home.
    Really like this shot.

18. Plymouth made a roadster ute in Australia in '39. Rare than hen's teeth. No wind up windows. A true roadster ute. Closest photo I have is this Holden(?) built '41 Pontiac of the type built and pressed into service in the WW2 140201-A.I.F-'41Pontiac.jpg 140201AIF-Pont'41.jpg North African campaign against Rommel. Real basic. I think it used some masonite in the bed panels.

19. gbk

gbk

In 2016 Joey Ukrop wrote a wonderful piece om Jalopy Journal entitled “A Fly in Amber: The di Falco Roadster” (see: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=31244 ). That car has always stuck with me, especially this photo:

[​IMG]

So I built this tribute based on an AMT '29 Ford on Revell Deuce rails. I just finished last night:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and JBurt like this.
  21. If you look closely at the picture you’ll see my father in the background just left of the rear fender. Beige vest.

hotrodjack33, Stogy, Jigger and 3 others like this.
  22. sololobo

sololobo

Beyond Fantastic!

Stogy likes this.
  23. sololobo

sololobo

Fabulous presentation to heighten the glory of this Merc. custom, Thank you!

51pontiac, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FallCoupe1.jpg

FallHotrod.jpg

Autumn...ic 'A'

Just an inspiration of the Sport Coupe in a different more formal configuration...

Wild times...to those in harms way...you are in my thoughts...

Been doing some upgrades to the house...was out for a drive yesterday...refreshing...felt good...thoughts your way @Jigger...hope your Missus is improving...

25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shot these photographs of the very cool roadster, that Marty Strode build a few years ago. Its currently owned by a family here in Seattle.
    Yesterday while I was showing a relative around the city, the strode special drove past us while I was at a stop light.
    It really made me smile to see it, and hear the roar of the flat-head V-8.
    Thank you, to everyone that contributed to the "FAS" this week!

IMG_1340 (3).JPG IMG_1342 (2).JPG STRODE 3.JPG

Stogy, catdad49, Okie Pete and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.