Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical variable compression connecting rod; just an interesting pic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Sep 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atch

atch

Don't know anything about this. Saw it on FB and thought y'all might also find it interesting. Perhaps you'd like to discuss it. Perhaps not.

variable compression connecting rod.jpg

NoelC, Budget36 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. 34Phil

34Phil

4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

SAAB also worked on a variable compression engine, but with the upper part of the block "hinged" so the cylinders & head would move up and down. Turned out the benefits were nowhere near as big as the theory suggested, so the project was scrapped. Could have been an interesting engine otherwise.

5. There was another effort, with actual running motor, that used a two-piece fixed-length rod. But this one didn't have the crankshaft directly connected to the piston. Instead, the rod from the crankshaft connected to a lever at one end and there was another short rod connected from the lever roughly in the middle to the piston. The lever pivot was at the other end. The variable ratio was accomplished by moving the lever pivot point back and forth. Worked rather well, as fuel economy was markedly increased. The idea was to raise the compression ratio under light-load conditions for better efficiency, but the expense of building it was too high for the benefits.

jimmy six and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  6. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

You make a, my head hurt

INVISIBLEKID, 302GMC, lowrd and 2 others like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

That’s wild looking.

8. indyjps

indyjps

Variable valve timing benefits make sense, but, variable compression- WTH. I'll read thru the links and theory.

Blues4U likes this.
  9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

You can change your compression by thinking about it...

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Variable ignition timing
    Variable fuel delivery
    Variable cam timing
    Variable stroke/compression

Now all we need is an infinitely variable transmission.

ekimneirbo and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  12. jaracer

jaracer

There were some variable compression lab engines built back in the 30's of 40's to test fuel octane rating.

13. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

They Are available in models from Japan:)

14. Budget36

Budget36

I think it’s already here. CVT on small cars. Well, stands for constantly variable transmission, but not sure if the same as what you may be thinking.

15. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

DAF had it in their cars in the 70's, maybe earlier. We have it in several cars and all scooters today.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

My wife bought two daily drivers with CVT. I thought they totally sucked as a driving experience. Idea is good but the functionality is ridiculous.

17. Call me old fashioned but seems like an awful lot of extra parts to be thrashin' around inside the cylinder. I've had enough trouble in my life keeping regular old connecting rods in one piece. :D

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

There are CVT transmissions for some of the smaller heavy equipment; but hydrostatic transmissions, also infinitely variable, have been in use in agriculture equipment and some material handling and road building equiment for many decades. Hydrostatic transmissions offer incredible performance advantages, but you have to deal with reduced efficiency, a lot of heat generation, and if using external oil lines there is always the issue of leaks.

Variable compression? I'm still not seeing any real advantage. Other than making an engine easier to start, what performance advantage is there from being able to temporarily reduce compression?

19. Rand Man

Rand Man

“what performance advantage is there from being able to temporarily reduce compression?”

they want to reduce spark knock or detonation. That’s a big engine killer. A lot of modern engine control systems have anti-knock sensors as high priority.

Blues4U likes this.
  20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Do a quick search for Cartercar ...

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suspected that some of you were going to say it's been done.
    LOL
    Interesting.
    To be clear, I was thinking of how a belt driven torque converter works... no steps in between gear ratio changes. And controlled according to load, RPM and throttle position for optimum gear ratio.
    But we've stepped too far into the future. The space-time continuum is eroding.
    Mr Wizard...

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Interesting, but.
    It would defiantly be a lower rpm engine !!
    With that much weight at the top of the rod, would surly limit the rpm capability.

Lower the ratio for normal driving, raise the ratio for high speed (?) driving.

Mike

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

What Mike said, too heavy and complicated for highrpm....Variable cam timing changes compression ratio or more accurately cylinder pressure...
    Modern sportbikes make 3 hp per cubic inch off the show room floor with all the complication.Some even have variable injector location...

24. Budget36

Budget36

Like the Comet clutch I built for the kids 4 wheeler from a old Polaris chassis? The drive pulley would be small and the driven pulley large at idle/rest. As engine accelerated the dive pully would open up and the driven would as well, but be smaller.

25. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Similar principal to a BRIDGEPORT type mill variable spindle speed.

Budget36 likes this.
  26. KenC

KenC

Here's a cutaway showing the Nissan implementation with a metallic belt and pulleys.[​IMG]

Budget36 likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Hamb is no place for a discussion on what modern new ideas are being used in new cars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.