Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A Requiem for Arnie Cunningham

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Sinister, Sep 23, 2022.

1. I've always identified with Arnie Cunningham. Awkward kid, smart, wanted to fit in but never really did, heavy interest in cars, partial to brunettes. I could always see the beauty in an old heap, what it could be with some work and time. Had the coolest car in my high school parking lot.
    I've hand my hands over every inch of my car. Literal blood and sweat expended upon it's surfaces. It's even tried to kill me once, but we've come to an understanding. I keep it fed and tuned and clean, it keeps from trying to kill me again. If it does, I've instructed my wife to crush it. I'd say it probably does possess at least a small piece of my soul, though it doesn't seem to fix itself when it breaks. Bum deal, in my opinion. If I had a cracked tooth and a bad fuel pump, the fuel pump comes first.
    As I age, I find I'm distancing myself more and more from people, and taking more solace in my machines. I feel like my machines are the only thing I can count on sometimes. I took the time and did things right on them, instead of taking short cuts for quick gratification like you see so often today. I've got a very small group of people I consider true friends, but not a one owns a sweet Charger though. I drive my car like I'm the only person in the world. I check my car out in a store window in passing like a pretty woman checks her hair in the mirror. It's not "perfect" by any means, but it's perfect in it's imperfections. Maybe ugly to some, but what the hell do they know? If it's not running right or at all, I don't run right. I don't have a lot of pride in myself, but I am damn proud of that car. I might not have a lot going for me, but I have that car. Glad when people like it, but don't care if they don't.

So what to you think folks? Any of you find yourselves identifying with old Arnie? Maybe I'm just losing my tenuous grip on reality, bit in this reality, could you blame me?

2. Budget36

Budget36

3. NoelC

NoelC

That's why they legalized weed in Canada, to take your mind off the suffering.
    Seems to be working. I have a buddy who swears by the gummy bears for pain relief.

But yea, I hear ya and don't blame you one darn bit. Sad times and hard times. Just making memories.

Looking around, my alternator gave up the ghost and what the hell happened to those being cheap. Core charge of $94.00? I can understand your sadness and disappointment, this was not what was promised. They call it change. Isn't that a bitter pill.

You mention friends...well, I watched a video of two groups of penguins walking in two small groups who meet, stop to talk, then off they go on their journey. Well on the basis of that video, that's about par for the course as far as relationships go as you get older. Or not. Some are willing to bend, be more flexible, accommodating and they have more in the group. Define friend, cause if it's them willing to help out more than a hold this, pass the wrench, I got none.

Go for a drive, get a burger and fries with a drink, watch the people go about their lives and remember theirs is not much different than yours.

Except that you have a cool car. Thumbs up!

4. Flim Flam Man

Flim Flam Man
    from Oklahoma

5. Budget36

Budget36

????

6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Reality? That's overrated, and interrupts my naps far too often.

'28phonebooth and Mr. Sinister like this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You need to read the book. Maybe watch the movie, don't remember if they use the word as much there.

Just Gary and Budget36 like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Had no idea. Thanks.

G-son likes this.
  9. Screw that, I'm LeBay upload_2022-9-23_16-36-51.jpeg !!!!!

Mr. Sinister and G-son like this.
  10. I was partial to Darnell, as well.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Is Arnie any relation to Richie?

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  12. The more time I spend around people, the more I like my wife's cat! Cats give you a warm fuzzy feeling, cars provide all the other emotions.

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  13. Personally, I always related more to this guy
    upload_2022-9-24_11-10-47.png

But wanted to be his guy
    upload_2022-9-24_11-12-55.png

Mr. Sinister, '28phonebooth and SS327 like this.