Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

All fun aside Lloyd , a big block will cure your ill's and be a blast but I'm afraid it will frag that 700R4... A turbo 400 is your best bet. And once again it snowballs:p

2. There's a 4 speed going behind the big block.

3. I still have pedals for a 61 Chevy….

4. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Very cool car. I'd love to build one with a tri carb 348 and 3 speed column shift with electric o/d. To keep it unique and old school cool.

5. I'll pick them up when I put that windshield in brother :D

6. If ya need them they are yours for the ride!!

Just thinking if you install a windshield and Ashly does a headliner, do I only have to pay one travel charge? I’ll supply the beer….:D

7. If you get time to pull them out before winter sets in I'll take them, it'd look better than hanging a generic clutch pedal in there. I don't need the linkage, I'm gonna run a hydraulic clutch. Just the 2 pedals and the pin. My guess is the pedal box would be the same, but man have i been wrong many times lmao!

hotrodjack33, 61Cruiser and enloe like this.
  8. I’ll get them out, one of these days! I have no idea what engine was in the car I have, no motor or transmission, it was a 3 on the tree.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Lloyd's paint & glass and enloe like this.
  9. Damn! Has is been that long since I posted on this thread? Had a good productive day in the shop today, and when I figured it was time to hang it up for the day, I figured I'd go mess with my car. I bought a Holley 750 dp for it a few weeks ago, actually got it to go on the 454, but I figured I'd throw it on the 283. I tried to start the car a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't getting gas at all, pulled the top of the carb and it was full of jelly looking crap. Almost like fish eggs. Went and got the 600 Holley off the shelf and pulled the bowls, it had that crap in it also. I cleaned the Holley, at least I thought I did, put it on the car, and still wouldn't do anything. Turns out the accelerator pump must be full of that stuff also. I checked the tank, all good, ran gas out into a pop bottle and it looked good also. So anyway I put the 750 on it this evening. Still need to set the floats. I'm gonna pull the 283 and cram it in Ashley's truck :D:D 20220922_194453.jpg

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What type of fuel?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  11. 93

12. Thank ya Steve! Wish it would run right lmao! I'll mess with it some more tmrw or Saturday. Recheck timing and set the float height. Got the big block on the stand, gotta finish tearing it apart so I can get it to the machine shop. The damn thing is gonna run good one of these days :D

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

With ethanol?

14. Hell I don't know Johnny! I don't even remember the last time I put gas in it lmao!

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A rhinelephant!! I thought they were extinct!!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The Hell-if-I-know foundation that Lloyd is a member of brought them back.

enloe, SS327, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have been feeling more energetic lately, I believe it is starting to become "Big Boy" weather.

:):):)

20. I'm seriously considering the nostalgia fall classic at Bowling Green brother. October 15th and 16th.

sidewayzz69 likes this.
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I was actually thinking about camping that today.
    I may try to camp again.
    The weather is usually awesome that weekend.
    Bring a jacket

sidewayzz69 likes this.
  22. Same here brother!

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yep. "Molded, front and back!"

Budget36 likes this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heya Lloyd,
    I've run into this several times, especially with Edelbrock carbs. E10-E15 fuel gums/gels up the low-speed idle circuit on these carbs...so much so that the fuel mixture screws will eventually do nothing...and it won't run:eek:

A buddy (a carb rebuilder) turned me on to Star-Tron...a fuel additive originally made for 2 stroke engines. This stuff will actually "clean up" a carb if it's not TOO gummed up.
    I ran Star Tron in my old '32 for over 10 years...same Edelbrock 1406 all that time with no problems.:)
    0.23.jpg

25. Thanks Jack, I'll get me some and give it a try

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  26. partssaloon

partssaloon

Been using the StaTron myself for over 7 years now and the carbs look clean as can be when I remove a bowl or lid of the carb.

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So today the 93 did have ethanol. ;):p:D

28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way, it goes in the gas tank, and not in your beer...although it might clean your "system" out as well:eek:;)

61Cruiser, unfinished and Johnny Gee like this.
  29. Funny, when I put gas in my truck today, I looked at the pump and it had a sticker that read less than 10% ethanol. You'd think at $3.15 a gallon i could get the whole 10%