Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rare find today for the Edsel lovers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustin 257, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

To be honest I hate the teletouch. It’s trouble some and unreliable. But it is what it is.

the rear top window is vinyl.

I was able to turn the motor with a socket for a bit.

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

An edsel with a tach, yes pretty rare. We had a 58 bermuda 9 passenger wagon, red with the weird grey woodgrain on the sides. Wish I could get it back. Lippy

guthriesmith likes this.
  3. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

If the wrench doesn't work with strong jiggling to play if safe pull the starter and get a pry bar into the flywheel teeth and jiggle it from there . When it breaks loose be happy you got that far and stop and squirt more oil in the cylinders and let it set up another day or two then with the pry bar turn it again slowly . If all feels smooth continue to turn it over all the way around with the pry bar until you have turned it over at least two crankshaft rotations . The oil rings can dry up after 15 years and this is beyond that so that is why to let it soak some more after the initial loosening up . Oil rings are a sponge and either dry and brittle or wet and flexible . I've saved many y-blocks this way one of them my own and was able to drive it another 3 years before it started smoking that was a 312 engine . You can go further and also pop the valve covers and squirt oil all through and aiming at the valve seals also they are definitely hard and need your touch also .
    Also the old oil is acidic and should be changed out before running again .
    Now I read you got it to turn !! Awesome !!
    Great job getting them home they are magnificent machines indeed !

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    guthriesmith likes this.
  4. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

It was good feeling to feel that engine turn with little effort. Got it soaking some more. Will try and turn it again tomorrow when I get home. Also I will for sure change oil once it fires off and runs for a minute. I like to know there going to run before I spend the money on an oil change.

I’m also hoping the carb throttle blades get unstuck in the diesel.

5. mlagusis

mlagusis

Those are all great cars you picked up. I really like the 58 Convertible.

6. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Yes money isn't free ! But to help free the throttle plates just a little Marvel Mystery or whatever you have on the shelf and that stuff or anything like is better than nothing . A couple squirts at the throttle plates and around the rods bushing area is about all you can do for now . If grinding/squeezing/stickiness goes away your good and safe also Just don't oil the springs in the throttle rods they will lose their tension and I work a brass toothbrush lightly over and into the springs . I use brass brushes it doesn't seem to change the zinc plating or the aluminum throttle plate . I just got done with a barn find Chandler Grove carb completely restored it without carb cleaner I believe in restoring metals first then if needed later for chemicals or complete replacement . You can see my carb cleaning process on Meet Flo ! posted I think about a month and a half ago . I'll get the dates for you . Chemicals are messy and here in California if someone smells carb cleaner they call the fire dept and want a HazMat team out .LOL . Ya we got All the kookoos . Besides I like the way the parts come out . It's interesting .
    Actual carb work begins in post of August 11 it's on page 5

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  7. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Every time I stopped for fuel or to eat, someone wanted a picture of the convertible. Or wanted to talk about it. Funny thing is 3 people actually new what it was.

thanks for the info Freddie. I did read your carb cleaning info. Don’t know what I would do with out carb or brake clean lol. Love that smell

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    SS327 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  8. I am subscribed. The convertible is a great find.

9. Hmm... might be able to make a convertable top out of a continental work for that edsel... would be a very unique custom.

10. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Good find Dustin. Years ago I visited a fellow named Hugh Lesley from Oxford, Pennsylvania. He had over 150 Edsels parked on a farm. He had traded or sold a field full of 39/40 Fords to start the Edsel collection. The property was nicknamed the Lemon Grove.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    SuperKONR, brEad and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Thank you all for the compliments. I really appreciate it. Sorry I didn’t quote everybody. And sorry for the guy that asked about the wrap around vinyl on the rear window. I miss read that. Not sure if that was factory or not. The owner did have a new top put on it years ago. Got the throttle blades unstuck with some heat after a couple days and it started and sounded pretty good (the 59) Just a lifter tap sound and probably just needs fresh fluids and more run. working on getting the fan off the citation to see how it will spin. Motor is loose. Fans on these are tight against the rad.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  12. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

I remember reading that in another forum somewhere. Not sure if it was here or else where.

Joe Troilo likes this.
  13. Cool car! Did you know... An Edsel at one time was an E/Stock national record holder sometime in the sixties I believe. Read it in Popular Hot Rodding.

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great finds , very cool cars . Edsels are cool

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

I did not know that. I believe it though. The MEL engine was a race horse for a short period of time. The big edsels came with the 410 wedge motor. Big bore and short stroke.

16. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Hopefully on Saturday we can hear a MEL engine fire up for the first time. Got points and tune up ready to go.

17. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

You may be aware of this but the guys at Cold War Motors YT channel (look them up) did a refresh on one some time ago and unless I am grossly mistaken there was a vid where reapairing the TT was featured, it may prove to be useful.

What MEL is in your son's car?

18. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Was not aware. Thanks for the lead. Found the video.

his two big body edsels have the factory 410 in them. Built for only one year, for the Corsair and citiaions. Same as the 430 mercury blocks just a tenth smaller bore. Same crank.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Congrats and awesome!...... subscribed.

20. SS327

SS327

21. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Haha I’ll correct my punctuation

SS327 likes this.
  22. "Let's eat, Grandpa!" vs. "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    :eek:

SS327 likes this.
  23. When I was a kid still in the early 60’s there was a maroon ‘58 two door (can’t remember whether is was a post or hardtop) in town with “Wicked Ruby” painted on the rear quarter. It supposedly had 430 in it and beat a lot of other cars in our area…and then it was just gone. I have a soft spot for the ‘58, don’t care for the other two years. There was a ‘58 Edsel nosed Ranchero at Nats North this past weekend.

bobss396, Dustin 257 and SS327 like this.
  24. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

410? That's quite rare and is also a torque monster, good one. Glad the video is of some help and I'm sure if you have any questions Scott from the channel will answer them.

25. There was a '59 sedan for sale a few years ago for $8000. It looked fairly clean and I would have bit for $4000. It had the 6 and a 3-speed. I haven't seen the car since. It shares a lot with the same year Ford that I am partial to.

26. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

58 use to be the only one I liked also. But the 59 and definitely 60 have grew on me. He claimed to have the 430 but I bet it was the 410. Fish story’s. Factory claimed 475 torque but that’s not realistic. I may have an all stock motor on the dyno after my sons rebuild is done.

27. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

about 17-20k cars built with the 410. So probably not a lot left. Thanks again

28. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Yep
    In 59 as you probably know. They went to mostly all Ford parts. Just a few different panels.

60 was pretty much a fairlane with different grill and trim.

bobss396 likes this.
  29. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

We got spark tonight on the citation

Long day for the both of us. We’ll see if she fires off tomorrow

37C5AB81-7281-487D-A70D-A86F5D5A36DF.jpeg

my son changing points.

FoMoCoMoFo, R A Wrench, brEad and 3 others like this.
  30. Great story. It's especially cool to see your son is involved too.