Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tamco Paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro crew chief, Jan 18, 2021.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

55 chevy hood off the gun tamco murdered out black /2104 clear Tamco murdered out black 55 hood.jpg

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just gotta chime in. Tamco is still a great product. But Tammy is gone and has a new brand. Orion Automotive Finishes.
    Her new brand is absolutely as good, if not better and designed to be even more user friendly. And of course if you dealt with her before you know her level of customer support is top notch.

It's worth a look:

https://orionautomotivefinishes.com/

Bill's Auto Works and Just Gary like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Tammy is awesome. I have talked
    To her while she was getting food for her kids at McDonald’s. She answers all your calls.

4. My e-mail request from them was answered by Mark, and I knew Tammy had left. Fortunately, I live close enough where I can go talk in person before I pull the trigger on paint as I want a specific color. Prices have gone up though...

Bill's Auto Works and Just Gary like this.
  5. Most definitely on all counts!

Tammy has helped me when others could or would not, we have texted or talked on the phone several times over the last few years! She also understands that I don't paint as much as I used to, so it is going to take a while to get through all the Tamco products I purchased during the end of the year sales....2 years in a row I spent around $2K each year because of the deep discount during it. Most everything I need going forward will be with Orion, with some Tamco from time to time. With the variety of custom colors, candies, pearls, etc....I like some better from each company.

God Bless
    Bill

Just Gary likes this.
  6. Thanks for the Tamco/Orion update, fellas.:)

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I will wait to see the results folks are getting with Orion. There is a huge lack of info on their page. Basic descriptions would go a long way. I would also like to see TDS for the products also.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Have you been on their website lately? I just looked & the Primers, Clears & Custom Colors, etc ALL have a TDS. The only one I did not see a TDS for was the Factory Pack Colors!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Roothawg and Just Gary like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’ll look again Bill. Thanks

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Orion website is growing. I've used the primer, a few colors and euro and stargazer clear. The clears are incredible. I've never been able to make high solids clear work, always rough texture or runs. I can lay these and they're super glossy. Kandy concentrates are strong, mix lightly.

11. DO you think the Orion High Solids Clear is easier/better than 2104???? I still have about 3 gallon kits of 2104 to go through!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just Gary and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

Very interested in Tamco and Orion.

Has anyone shot BOTH SPI clear and Tamco / Orion clear?
    Looking for feedback on a direct comparison if someone has used both products.

I DO like that Tamco also has base / color, versus SPI clear using a compatible base from other companies.

Thanks for any feedback on a comparison.

*I'm not a professional painter, don't have a shop, shoot my own stuff. I don't shoot enough to test multiple paint companies. Looking to the pros here for advice on which paint line is preferred.
    I will be shooting some SPI clear on a blend job (when I get it all prepped o_O)

Just Gary likes this.
  14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

They both blow away SPI in my book.

If anyone is also a facespace user there is an orion dedicated group that Tammy is very active on, you can see the products in use by pros and schmos, and get help from Tammy directly on it too.