Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Second project: Spyder Power/Double Trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Cat_Of_Ages, Jun 18, 2022.

?

Go for it?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2022.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Wait for a better one.

18 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. I wrecked my dads car... The Corvair may have to wait, I don't know if I can afford it anymore. i need to fix his car as a primary objective. My dad said something about chipping in to help me buy it while we fix the '94. I hope he stays to his word, he Isn't mad, he's happy I'm okay, and that I didn't hurt the other driver. we will see how things go. car might be fixable, might not.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. That’s tough. Glad you are ok and your dad isn’t too upset. I remember when I flipped my dad’s vehicle on ice back in high school. I had just finished painting it for him and knew he was going to kill me. I was actually very surprised when he was just glad I was ok. Pretty sure that might have been the first time that I thought I might be more important than his vehicle. I know better now, but remember how things were then.

3. Car has frame damage, bent from the guard rail impact, it's done, but I want to keep it, it's still full of good usable parts, (interior, engine, trans, axle, etc)

chryslerfan55 and SS327 like this.
  4. Corvair is back on the table, the car doesnt have a bent frame, it seems fixable, so we are keeping it for now. So thats good.

5. 20220707_104101.jpg Went searching for the hubcap that went missing in the wreck, ended up finding an ancient mini moon half buried in the dirt aswell... it just so happens to fit on a corvair, think its a sign?

6. SS327

SS327

To quote Bill Engval “ here’s your sign”! Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad your dad is being so cool though. When I got into an accident with my parents car I got my ass beat and told to fix it on my dime. Thank God I was good at straightening wrinkled metal and could paint. I was only 16 with a shitty part time job. It only cost me $27.00 for a qt of Centauri and hardener. The old guy at the paint store gave it to me for cost. He took pitty on me and so did my buddy at the junk yard he gave me the new front fender caps and turn signal lenses for free. I already had primer, reducer, and sand paper. While I was at it I fixed a couple spots with light surface rust and painted them. Then cut and buffed the whole car and waxed it. You could not see in any light where I fixed it or blended it when I was done. I fact the old man asked me if I painted the whole car. I told him ya and walked away. Since the 78 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon was mine to drive I wanted it standing tall. It looked a hell of a lot better than his 80 Cutlass.
    Now when my little brother wrecked his Cutlass dad was all concerned about him and paid to fix it. And the accident was my brothers fault! And 6 months later when he was towing the new boat with the new Dodge van and ran a red light with the van and got tboned in the boat which sent it flying through the back doors of the van. Almost killed a woman. Van was gone for a month getting repaired and the boat was gone for 8 months getting the hull repaired (rebuilt). Again dad was how’s my little baby. My brother did not lay out a nickel even though he had a great part time job.

7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Be wary of any car, left & un-cared for on dirt. Rust sucks! Corvairs are great cars, and their are much better ones out there. That one could be a good parts car for a Spyder clone built from a dryer car.

8. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Never pass up the opportunity to buy a car with built in equity. Flip, part out or keep, they all will do you well. Plus you are saving one, or more cars depending upon what you do.

Squablow and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  9. Still waiting on title, probate takes time apparently, especially with the will going into his fathers name. Still have hope!

hotrodjack33 and SS327 like this.
  10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 65 coupe. Mine was in better shape than your pictures show. It was still a lot of dough and time just to get it drivable. You need to check the front crossmember because they rust out. Also the the trailing arm mounting area is prone to rust. Because the car is constructed of several pieces of metal being welded together to make structures like front and rear clips, finding and fixing the rust is paramount !
    Corvairs have been and will continue to be entry level automobiles. If you do this, do it for the love of that car.
    I love my Corvair so much, I got it spayed and neutered…..then a butt implant
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    hotrodA, brEad, Jeff Norwell and 11 others like this.
  11. SS327

SS327

You do know they spay girls and neuter boys right?

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But it’s a car.
    Spaying was the engine removal. Neutering was removing the transaxle / transmission. V8/th425 was the butt implant

13. Your car shares very little with mine, other than some engine parts, they share very little. But, this car seems to be intact other than a spot on the passenger side floor, which has a perfect rocker to weld to, seems water may have gotten in?

SS327 likes this.
  14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, my car and your are just different outer sheet metal and maybe some suspension pieces. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same. The front clip is the same. The rear clip is the same.
    My car was not worth saving when I bought it for my daughter ( she found it and fell in love with it )and it looked a bunch better than what you pictured. Mine had no rust through like your floor and fenders.
    Might be a good idea to look into the early models on Corvair Forum or Corvair Center before you jump in with both feet.
    I’m not knocking your car. Just letting you know some of us have already done what you are thinking about.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  15. I thought they changed the entire suspension up and such?

Another note, fenders, crossmembers, and such are all solid, i will need to use a shovel to get it out, it does rock back and forth (a little)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rear suspension got updated in 63 and then fully independent in 65. The trailing arms, springs shock mounts frame rail were all the same for most years. There were minor upgrades in the front over the entire span of production.
    If I may, give Corvair Ranch a call and talk with Jeff. He owns the place. Send him your pictures and let him help with your decisions. He has about 1000 Corvairs in his yard. He will give you the straight scoop. He knows more about Corvairs than anyone I have ever met.
    Good luck with your project

this is a thread from Corvair forum on buying a Corvair https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/...&hilit=How+muc+rust+before+you+say+no#p123461

17. another thing to note, last time I messed with it I messed with the brake pedal (because it had pressure) and it flopped down against the firewall... so much for having pressure.

18. SS327

SS327

Yea, but you knew that was going to happen. It always does whenever a car sits for a long time. That’s why we have to go through the brakes.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  19. I figured it would go, i found funny it how it just flopped back to the firewall once it lost pressure, unlike the Fairlane which seemed to be spring loaded.

20. SS327

SS327

Probably what happened is the plunger stuck in the rusted bore of the master. That’s why it flops like a limp Richard.

21. Title is good and clear, ready for transfer, it is back on!

ClarkH, Budget36, SS327 and 1 other person like this.
  22. SS327

SS327

When do you pick it up?

The_Cat_Of_Ages and Budget36 like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I was just thinking about this thread today as well.

24. Within the month. Need to clean a space for it.

25. SS327

SS327

Go Cat Go!

26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diesels? Easy. Fuel in, air in, timing.

SS327 and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hickory nuts.

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Ive always called em walnuts.

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Im bringing another '63 two door home too for even cheaper... ive always heard once you pick up one corvair you end up getting another. Corvairasitosis is what ive nick named it.
    If its nice i might do some ahem modernizations to daily it, its a true barn find. Daughter wants rid of it to fund her new roof.

30. Jibs

Jibs

Two words, then I'm done.

Yenko Stinger.