Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Why the Bob McGee Roadster Won...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Why the Bob McGee Roadster Won...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Blues4U, dana barlow, Jet96 and 14 others like this.
  2. banjorear

banjorear

Truly a timeless Deuce that set the bar for others to follow. Absolutely love everything about the car.

3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That video is very cool, it really points out the subtle little details, that make this car so special !

Woogeroo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. One of my favorites and Bruce is a great person to talk to you about the car. When I found my Federal Moguel heads I called Bruce as they are the same as the roadster and he was a wealth of info.

5. When I envision a Deuce Roadster the Bob McGee is imprinted on my brain, I know there are thousands of roadsters that are just as cool but this one just love, The hood is not my favorite design for a '32, I prefer the original 25 louver but to change the hood on the McGee roadster would be sacrilege. HRP

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one has always been one of my Ideal 32 Fords but it is amazing that many of the mods he made aren't considered to be "traditional" by a lot of rodders.

Blues4U, dana barlow and BamaMav like this.
  7. That car is perfection. Ironically several of its features are things many folk today would call "street roddy"

Blues4U, dana barlow, BamaMav and 2 others like this.
  8. My absolute favorite Roadster of all time. 14-Hotrods USPS stamps (1).jpg

9. It was an honor to have my Roadster perched beneath the stamp image at the release ceremony at York NSRA in 2014. York 2014 Hot Rod stamps (2) (1).jpg

10. guy1unico

guy1unico

BM pushed the envelope for its time and for today.
    I prefer the Baskerville because he left well enough pretty much alone.

Blues4U and dana barlow like this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It doesn't get much better than that iconic historic hot rod.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Detroit Autorama..2020. thumbnail (27).jpg thumbnail (29).jpg

dana barlow, jim snow, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  13. Among all the other stuff that gives it the "look" it has hot rod headlights mounted where they are supposed to be.

Blues4U likes this.
  14. Here's the entire Historic Vehicle Association documentary about the Bob McGee Roadster [including interviews with (the late great :() Pat @pgan Ganahl, @Deuce Bruce Meyer, Dick @scritch Scritchfield, Ed Iskenderian, and Greg Sharp]:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I often wonder how many people look at this car and don't see the custom trunk lid.
    I'm guessing it's nearly the only one on the planet like it.
    At one time I lusted after the possibility of getting a trunk lid like this one built for my roadster, decided it was not worthy of carrying (one of) the coolest pieces on the most iconic deuce roadster of all time.

16. banjorear

banjorear

I've been wondering, when McGee had it, did he ever have a top for it? I know he more than likely didn't need it living in SoCal, but I believe it was his daily driver.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. I know of a couple Ts done that way and maybe one other 32 I can think of? Feel free to chime in with examples?!

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. I had the pleasure of seeing this car in bare metal at So-Cal Speed Shop when they were restoring it. It's an amazing car.

lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  19. Yep:

McGee Deuce Roadster - front (by Robert E. Canaan).JPG
    McGee Deuce Roadster - side (by Robert E. Canaan).JPG
    The Bob McGee Deuce Roadster circa 1949
    images by Robert E. Canaan

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  20. ...I think it was so well done that even knowledgeable hot rodders have often walked past it and didn't notice.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  21. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Joey for the post. Its a fantastic car with an amazing pedigree and its awesome its still with us. So many cool features!

Now I know this is absolutely subjective and not a ctitisism of what looks to be an amazing resto and Im probably the only one that thinks this but all that red paint kills it for me. Was it 'streetrod red' ;) back in the day as the early pics it looks black?

22. banjorear

banjorear

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Great car worthy of winning Best of Class on its own merits, no doubt. But lets get real. Bruce Meyer packs some serious influence over the Monterey elites. I for one admire how he spends his money. Congratulations sir!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Bruce Myers is the main reason Hot Rod's & Custom's have finally got recognized by events like Pebble Beach. HRP

25. Fogger

Fogger

PastedGraphic-4 2.jpg This is a shot of the Dick Scritchfield version of the roadster. When Dick moved to Hawaii he sold the car to the LaBonge family. Dicks version was completely different than McGees. SBC, four speed, etc. 167 mph at Bonneville. Pete Eastwood would know how much of the original McGee car was found and utilized for the current iteration.

dana barlow, Hamtown Al and teach'm like this.
  26. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

It was red originally.

panhead_pete likes this.
  27. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Agree! And as Vice Chairman of the Petersen Museum, he wields a lot of power. Nuff said.

Vic Walter and sr like this.