Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pat Ganahl, The Hot Rodder Next Door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Starr, Aug 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks for the great story. Pat was a social “influencer” before there was such a thing. In this day of instant gratification, we don’t remember that years ago, some folks had tons of influence on social trends. It just took months to get the word out.

Ganahl was in the lead as the street rod movement brought back hot rodding in the 1970’s. Many don’t know about his influence in the low rider scene. In the 90’s, he touted the new idea of traditional hot rodding, thru features on far out fun car clubs like the Shifters. We have lost a superstar.

drdave, Algoma56, alanp561 and 10 others like this.
  2. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

One of the best things ever written on the HAMB, for sure...and that is a HIGH bar. Gorgeous post.

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Great read! Thanks for sharing!

John Starr, Uncle Ronn and 49ratfink like this.
  4. BINGO. Could not have said it any better. Now for more shots of your coupe please.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks so much for the glimpse into everyday life with you and Pat and your neighborhood. It really paints a picture of the real-life, fun loving neighborhood hot rodder that he was. You were very fortunate to have had a personal relationship with him and his family, memories that will last a lifetime.
    Very well written and poignant, thanks again and welcome to the HAMB.

drdave, Algoma56, Uncle Ronn and 6 others like this.
  6. What a touching and heart felt tribute to PGan.
    You opened another door into the life and character of someone we all revered and wished we knew better.
    You were blessed to be in that enviable role as “Pat’s neighbor”.

7. Thank you for sharing all your memories and pictures of Pat. I have read Pats stories in magazines and his blog as well and very much got sucked in to the "history lesson" and enjoyed every minute. Reading your post I felt very much the same way, from the first paragraph I was hooked and read your story more than once! You have a gift much like Pat in my opinion, you need to find a way to keep that story telling going. God speed Pat, he would be flattered from all the attention he is getting, and the attention is deserved! He is well missed.

8. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Thanks for sharing this with us. Just goes to show what most of us know. He was a great friend 'neighbor 'writer 'historian ' journalist, hot rodder. But most of all a great human being. R.I.P. Pat.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Random thought moment; Pat was the Preacher and We were the Choir.

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

A beautifully written tribute to your friend, mentor and neighbor.

Thank you.

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding Sir.Thank you.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. Thanks for sharing! What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful person.

13. Yup, after almost 23 years here I have to say that is on helluva intro. Sorry for the circumstances. Please stick around, you have a lot to offer

drdave, Algoma56, Uncle Ronn and 6 others like this.
  14. little red 50

little red 50

Thanks for your tribute and story of the neighbor next door. Kind of makes it seem like all of the nonsense going on in the world is completely meaningless. I think you were as good of neighbor to him as he was to you. RIP Mr. Ganahl

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  15. Thank you for sharing that with us.. RIP Pat, you'll be dearly missed..

16. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Such a touching tribute to yet another side of Pat.

Thank you

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my god, you sir have written the greatest tribute that I have ever read about anyone. Thank you for letting us into your intimate relationship with your famous neighbor. Holy Smokes! Outstanding stuff.

A badass Model 40 is my personal favorite hot rod . . . Good on you!

18. twenty8

twenty8

Outstanding tribute. Thank you for sharing these glimpses of Pat with us all.
    You can now do an amazing thing for your friend and neighbour. Now is the time to ring his doorbell and check that his loved ones are ok. But I am sure you have already. The way you have written about Pat tells me that....

19. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About everything that can be said about your post has already been said by others, so I'll just say, "Thank you".

20. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I remember Pat's blog on your coupe, and his " famous" eye for minute details you've done that a stranger may miss! As stated, bless you for sharing a wonderful and touching tribute and I can't stress enough, as you and others mentioned ...the support Anna Ganahl lent her husband( Allowed?!) all these years and the eye for detail and history Bill has! It's your coupe, but I'd leave it bare metal!!!

21. Brown Devil II

Brown Devil II
    from Mission TX

I have read many stories on the HAMB this one is defiantly tops. Great story well written made me feel like I was there.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done, how very well done. Thank you for the story and welcome to the HAMB.

23. Allmotor

Allmotor

Awesome tribute

Uncle Ronn and little red 50 like this.
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

John,
    I knew Pat for 30yrs. He and I basically just chatting about history of all sorts. When I read his blog re: your 34, It was pure Pat !!!! An enthusiast whose career just involved all the kool things in the world just like many of us Hot Rodders. I’ve seen Pat with many different cars over time, but the way he spoke about your journey into Hot Rod ownership was just awesome!!!!!
    We’ve lost a great historian, writer friend but above all Anna lost her best friend, confidant and ear bender, Bill lost an immediate influence, car buddy, cheerleader and most importantly his one & only dad who kept his promise to repay the money that he borrowed from his college fund so he could live the deuce loose “Nitti” dream which resulted in a truly well thought out Street Driven Roadster.
    Thanks for allowing us readers to see such fantastic neighborhood Hot Rodding at its best!!!!!
    Sincerely,
    CK.

25. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Great thread. I just read the reject the other day. Nice to get your view of him thru the same story.

Uncle Ronn and little red 50 like this.
  26. John Starr

John Starr

Sorry about that, wasn't aware. I'm rusty as hell on the controls/settings here. I think I fixed it this time...

Uncle Ronn and Tman like this.
  27. John Starr

John Starr

I heard that story a few times!

28. John Starr

John Starr

Thank you all for reading this. I'm the least qualified person to write about Pat, but this had to come out of me and go where it might help others heal as well. So thank you for the very kind comments.

stroker28, rpm56, williebill and 18 others like this.
  29. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Thank You for sharing, John!

Uncle Ronn and John Starr like this.