Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I NEED A GOOD, STIFF BELT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Aug 12, 2022.

1. I don’t agree that the idler is the culprit of Billy’s belt issue .
    If you look at his application,,,,,,that belt probably only has a 25-30 degree back bend,,,,,,I don’t believe that is enough to cause a belt failure like he has .
    I’m just guessing from the pic,,,,,,he can measure the angle,,,,,,but I don’t think that is his issue .
    Poor quality rubber,,,,,,is the culprit in my opinion.
    Of course,,,I’ve been wrong before,,,,,what do I know ?

Billy,
    I see you have a 36 tooth pulley on top,,,,,what’s on bottom ?

Tommy

chryslerfan55, Bandit Billy and Stogy like this.
  2. Joe H

Joe H

Here is a picture of a Scag Tuff Tiger mower drive belt, it's a cog belt that makes more then a 180* turn on the back side ( silver pulley in the center ). Maybe you can find who makes their belts and see what sizes are available. These belts last forever on our work mowers.

[​IMG]

3. spanners

spanners

Why not fire off an email to Gates technical and ask their opinion? The worst that could happen is they tell you not to use their belts in that application.
    After doing some local canola harvest work and checking out how the headers operate, I've got a new appreciation for how hard v-belts work.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's always room for a crown

Good idea, the idler is wider than the belt, it may be walking around. I'll take a pic later

The upper blower pulley is 6" diameter the lower is 5". I had to help a friend install 2" leveling struts on the front end of his new Ford PU yesterday so I didn't get to my stuff. I will do so shortly and be back with more information as I get this belt out of the car. I rolled it around and all the numbers are worn away.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The belt is worn and the numbers are barely visible. This says made in mexico, 2514MX???
    upload_2022-8-14_13-15-7.png
    Not much help
    Further up the belt, Hi Power is a brand name???
    upload_2022-8-14_13-17-26.png
    The back has a crown on it, normally a belt that is designed to run on its back side would be flat yes?
    upload_2022-8-14_13-19-40.png
    Not much ID left on it. I will take it up to the auto parts store and use a belt gauge on it to determine length and angle. Back at ya in a bit.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gates appears to make Hi Power belts but not this number.
    Here are the best pics I could muster. Looks like 2514MX
    upload_2022-8-14_13-31-23.png

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it looks like that Hi Power belt is an industrial belt. Great for your air compressor but not so great for your hot rod When you need it to have it's backside run around an idler. . Hi-Power® II Belts | Gates Corporation

They have the whole listing size wise by number on that page or the attached pages.

8. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I've never had much luck using industrial belts on a car. Personally I would get an automotive belt with notches on the bottom to give extra flex for bending backwards

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. @Bandit Billy ... Not to sidetrack your thread, but the first time I saw the title to this it reminded me of a funny (to me anyway) story my Dad told me years ago:
    My Mom and Dad used to go (trailer) camping and fishing with another couple their age, on a pretty regular basis. One night as they were sitting around playing cards, the other lady was complaining about not feeling well. My Dad says "What you need is a good stiff...." and before he could say "drink", she interrupted and said, "That's what Charlie (her husband) says, but I'm not having ANY of that!".
    Well I thought it was funny..... maybe you had to be there.....
    Back to regularly scheduled programming.

10. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I'm just astounded the timing cover's not polished!

Bandit Billy, Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Apparently Hell froze over!!!:p

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is, it is just covered in crud in that pic. Here is an old one from assembly.
    Never fear, it is shiny once again!
    upload_2022-8-15_9-35-12.png

Almostdone, Dedsoto and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

That's what Gate's BX line are; notched belts. I'm pretty sure their Hi-Power line is an industrial belt.

Bandit Billy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless I am wrong (and I am never wrong) this is a 63" belt and Gates does sell a BX63 on amazon for $20. I'm thinking of buying an extra and tossing it behind the seat.

chryslerfan55 and Atwater Mike like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Maybe that poor old belt succumbed to its humble beginnings, surrounded by the lavish expenditure of plating, polishing and 'petting'...

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like performance anxiety...or so I've heard. :cool: I'm glad the radiator let go or I would not have checked that belt.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Hey Guys ,
    I think I was wrong,,,,,looking at that pic in post #42,,,,,,it looks like the belt is back bent on about a 70 degree angle,,,,,my earlier guess was wrong .
    Sorry about that,,,,I’ll try to do better !

Tommy

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You can get v-belts that have the "V" on the back side too so those should have no issue bending in both directions.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say your 70 degree estimate is pretty close on that back bend. I have the radiator back in so it hard to get in there but the pic shows it pretty well. I am shocked that belt disintegrated so quickly.

I saw those on line. I was worried that they would "walk" on that idler pulley since they have only a small contact patch in the middle of the V. It is possible that this "industrial" gates belt was a mis-application from the start. $20 bones for a belt is a drop in the bucket so I ordered a couple from Amazon today, I also got 2 extra sockets (for the idler and the gen mount) to throw in my tool kit so I can do a roadside replacement should it be necessary.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  20. clem

clem

not necessarily, - I have had them octagonal in cross-section so that they run backwards on an ordinary pulley.
    Question - if it was originally flat on the back and has worn in a crown/convex shape, why is the writing still showing only on the edges ?
    Should not that be where the writing should be missing ?

Desoto291Hemi and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I fully agree. That belt has a crown to it and it is obvious it always had. Hopefully I will have a couple new belts on my doorstep tomorrow to try that will perform better.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if you ran a belt like that the idler would be a v pulley instead of flat

Desoto291Hemi and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. Too much over-thinking on this thread....
    You wanna get longer life out of it? You want it to run smooth? You want it to run quiet? You wanna fix it and forget it?
    Fix it the TRADITIONAL way! Get a pair of your wife's pantyhose (to avoid getting sidetracked, don't ask for the ones she is currently wearing), wrap it around the pulley you want to roundy-round, tighten the generator, and Tango on. It'll only cost you a few bucks for the replacements, can be done anywhere (even the side of the road), and will serve you for many miles.
    The best part is, your wife will feel she's part of your hobby, and peace will be restored in the household!
    Now.... any other problems got you stumped that I can help with??

Almostdone likes this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pantyhose?

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pantyhose are for emergencies, no silly, the roadside tool kit!:D
    They work!

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is too young for pantyhose. Besides, she is too short. I need 63"

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Two pair:cool:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  29. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

biting my tongue…….

John

Bandit Billy likes this.
  30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Have you gotten the belt issue figured out? Seems like maybe just a poor product. I tried a power belt on the '34's 283, which looked like an automotive belt, but that sucker would roll over in the pulleys and fly off at anything over 4,000 rpm.

Bandit Billy likes this.