Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Great Garages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy1unico, Nov 5, 2020.

1. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I don't know how great it is, but it gets the job done.

19363windowshop.JPG

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^. 36 Ford grille breeder.;)

53 effie, ct1932ford, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Stogy and OzMerc39 like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know, you’d finish all those Hotrods if you didn’t let your meat loaf…

Stogy, williebill and OzMerc39 like this.
  6. That's absolutely perfect!!!

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy likes this.
  8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

It's true, I have a problem.

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

1biggeorge, i.rant, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  9. j hansen

j hansen

Honestley,,,,,isn`t the living area a bit too big?Especially the bedroom??

Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

How about a garage with a couple of Allards? One has a Caddy overhead V8 and the other has an early Chrysler hemi. Wow! DSCN1428.JPG

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s kinda what I thought! I thinking of swapping the bath and kitchen!

Bones

Stogy and j hansen like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I designed my home I was told by the CCR board that I couldn't have a shop in my one acre yard. But they didn't say anything about garages! :cool:
    So I built two 3 car garages and one 2 car garage under the same roof as the house (technically garages, not outbuildings). I did draw it tastefully so it didn't look like I live in a mini storage.

40FORDPU, Stogy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

She's small but we built the coupe in her from the ground up and my 56 is next. Have to be very efficient at tool placement and the use of space! One day I'll have a bigger shop AND a lift!

IMG_7804.jpg

14. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Building in progress. I decided that I need to define my space for sanity. One section is for my machining/fabrication, the other is for parking/repair. On the fabrication side, I put two I beams in the floor for a flat, level place to build/straighten things on. The repair section has a flush mount scissor lift/hoist. Above the repair section, is a storage loft. This should be enough to keep me comfortable for a while 06FC02FD-2511-462F-8C69-D2E3647F95F6.jpeg B6C99289-658B-41A1-BC46-981BEC4BE95B.jpeg 5FA95F5B-06F3-4B26-9232-695F5BDCDE1F.jpeg 7C919B1E-BD4C-4107-BCA6-051C69C0697D.jpeg

15. Mine’s not great, but it’s full of stuff I love!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice proportions of what is important… HA HA!

Having lived and worked in different garages, in the late stages of satisfaction of the actual surroundings, a clean space is the key. Most garages are ok, but the shelves full of stuff makes me cringe. We used to have the same organization for our early garages, but at least our Willys build garage did not have stuff on shelves from floor to ceiling.

But there was a time when open shelves worked and access was very handy, if you knew where everything was located. In time, the organization was as much a part of the whole concept of a great garages as plenty of parts or who had the most stuff that never gets used or dusted. Minimalism in open shelves is one thing and the massive amount of dust and crud floating around just needs a place to land.

So, for our last adventure of our lives, our house is clean with minimal amount of stuff sitting around on shelves or out in the open. Our garage has great lighting for specific bench work and different lighting for intricate interior work in/on the cars. The walls are insulated with smooth white drywall coverings to withstand the cold winters and hot summers.

We even got a new replacement door that is insulated to the max. Not only does it keep the whole area warm in the winter, but very cool in the hot summers. The thin metal folding door was just that, a thing metal that accentuated the heat.

The exposed shelves are gone, replaced with everything inside of sliding drawers and tall cabinets with thick shelves that don’t bend in the middle. When someone sees the garage, it looks as if nothing takes place here. Where are the tools, the saws, the brooms, the extra parts ready for the next layer of dust?

Jnaki

I have to thank my wife for her organization ideas and insistence of a clean surface for a workspace. The counters and shelves are perfect. The drawers are organized in importance of use. A daily use drawer with simple things even my wife uses, is closest to the garage/house entry door. The larger tools and saws are in a deep drawer farther away from the house. Organization is the key and simplicity just adds value to your time in the garage.

If I need to hit something hard or use a saw, there are blocks of wood and hard Lexan pieces to act as “hitting/sawing” surfaces. The counter is immaculate and the whole garage looks and actually is, a well insulated room for cars and other activities. An old, thick, kitchen Lexan-type cutting board is used for most protection during activity on the counter.

The parts that used to be on shelves, well if we did not use them in the last two years, they got tossed, recycled or given away as fast as possible. The clutter is gone. It was replaced by clean surfaces and organization. There is an auto maintenance deep drawer for all things useful for car repair or maintenance if needed. As long as there is organization for the daily use items and they don't clutter up the whole drawer(s), then it flows well, even for my wife.

On throwing things away, it takes a second to realize that you are never going to use it for any purpose, so why store it away? For us, a lesson learned, there are no regrets or thoughts of… “I know I can use it for another project, later…” bunch of ideas. YRMV

17. Will be moving to our property in the future..building shop (30'x52' 16' ceiling) first.
    Under construction, obviously. IMG_4224.JPG

18. woody jim

woody jim

THE 40 COUPE IS FOR SALE IMG_5786.JPG

juan motime, Dave Mc, Oilguy and 3 others like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Sheesh, tough following Moriarty....

Working on getting the new shed setup yet. Well, new is relative, 2 years on anyways. But at least I can get projects accomplished fairly easily now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to start knocking the 90's off this thing after Labor Day.
    [​IMG]

Because I am done working on this new crap for now...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  21. A few shots of the garage and shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Older photo of the outside, dont have the 3 window anymore.

IMG_1855.JPG

22. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

alfin32 likes this.
  24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool stuff here, thanks for posting. Nothing I've had was ever good enough to be on the cover of any magazine so I hadda make up my own.... :rolleyes:

garage scene mag 800.jpg

25. Mo rust

Mo rust

Do you get extra points for being well organized?

garage.JPG

26. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Not as pretty as many of your guys, but cars (and bikes) have been built in here for over 50 years. DSCN1431.JPG

27. Big Dad, 53 effie and firstinsteele like this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy