Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Speed Week (2022) Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Paul Wigton

Paul Wigton

Stogy likes this.
  2. DAC4046E-B869-4E20-8AF2-41D32127FA0A.jpeg

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T-Man….Over many years this one I found to be the best. Last used after 2016 Bonneville. The spinner on the top of the holes really helped get every where. Still has the extension to help move it while connected to the hose. 4ACB6270-160E-42ED-8A73-0441EB88EBB9.jpeg

4. Oh yeah! If I had one I would totally do that. I need to hit some rummage sales

Stogy likes this.
  5. aircap

aircap

Let me guess.... He got stuck with a yuge tow bill for either, (A) getting stuck at the Bend in the Road, or (B) he didn't follow the orange cones.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Tell me more. Got a thread? Inline OHC six?

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Dang it, I was halfway there, going to set a couple recorded C/F A-B[​IMG]

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

For those who have never been there, The ground is only firm where its pure salt. The other areas , like lots of square miles are a mixture of dirt and salt that almost never firms up. The mixture makes it so the salt will hold water, and almost no vegetation will grow. Driving the 90 miles or so from Salt Lake City, you will see many places where folks have pulled off the road for a better look and get hopelessly stuck. Keep in mind this mushy mixture is the reason the Donner party was late crossing the Sierras, a fatal mistake for most. Once you get to Wendover you start to get on higher ground and better soil, but not out on the flat basin area, that can be mush. So sorry for all those who made the trek only to be canceled , try again sometime its an event worth the effort.

9. Lowes sells them here for about $12

10. Was feeling bad because two of my three crew members tested positive for Covid two days before we were supposed to leave. Me and the third crew member were exposed but tested negative. We cancelled the trip. Ended up being a kind of twisted blessing. All four of us are ok now. Hoping to make the World Finals in September.
    Five-M Racing, XO/PRO '49 Ford Coupe.

Stogy and Tman like this.
  11. World Finals might be BIG this year, talked to 2 crew today planning on going due to the cancellation

Stogy likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you had showed up with an airboat that could haul some lighter items like canopy frames you would have a lot of new best friends right now.

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

No threads, but here's a picture I found on Bangshift.com
    Nugget-Car-Show-008.jpg

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.
  14. Marcia

Marcia

We got out on the salt at 7am this morning. It took 45 minutes to get from the end if the road to the pit. IMG_20220808_074212171.jpg IMG_20220808_074713400.jpg IMG_20220808_075143412_MP.jpg IMG_20220808_075857974_HDR.jpg IMG_20220808_075902600.jpg IMG_20220808_090331297.jpg

Attached Files:

Stogy, rusty valley, Tman and 3 others like this.
  15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a bummer, the weather gods batted last this time !

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics & updates

41 GMC K-18, Stogy and Marcia like this.
  17. Harbor Patrol gave me a ticket for speeding thru a no wake zone.
    J

Bonneville Marina drive.jpg

18. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UPDATE:

Well, not anymore - now they list it as cancelled as others reported here already.

https://scta-bni.org/

John

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  19. Looking at that last batch of pictures from the pits got me thinking how smart Stainless and the Bockscar guys are for NOT setting up a pit and just working off the trailer! My car would have had water above the frame rails if it had been sitting there like the Dauerheim #608 Lakester . Really got me thinking on how to approach things in the future

26 T Ford RPU, 41 GMC K-18 and Marcia like this.
  20. Marcia

Marcia

Got us thinking too.
    We were going to leave it at the airport until September but we'll take it home to clean and see if everything still works.
    We have to change wheels to get it into the trailer.
    The 4X4 under the trailer jack was gone! How did that happen?!!

Tman, rusty valley and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I talked to Jim Lindsay who runs a Lakester I built for him. He uses an open trailer, that the car stays on, other than on the run. He said when they picked up the car yesterday morning, there were lots of tires and wheels floating around, with other items, like tents. They had a generator on the ground that was half submerged under water, and lost a tarp or two, but other than that they were OK.

Marcia, Bandit Billy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. I saw a shot of their pits, first thing I noticed was the drowning generator.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

They were still luckier than many.

41 GMC K-18, TrailerTrashToo and Tman like this.
  24. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The SCTA gets slow on calling the meet off for a reason. In years past, the courses have been completely covered with water and they have waited a few days and they were "raceable" and the meet went on. Remember, it goes past Monday -- it's not a weekend event just for the spectators.

41 GMC K-18 and Marcia like this.
  25. Yeah, by Monday the circus has left

jimmy six, 41 GMC K-18 and Marcia like this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

A good place for all the freaking water would be ON the numerous wild fires throughout the U.S.!

27. Saturday afternoon it looked like the water was receding but the cell that came thru Sat eve was the end of the event.
    The boat ramp vehicle extraction show was very entertaining at the bend in the road. I made it out about 4am on Sat in a standing inch of water in truck. I pulled trailer out on Sunday morning from the pits in standing 3-4 inches of water.
    While pulling trailer out the salt was breaking up under the water and floating up, Owen mentioned it looked like piranhas coming up to the surface. It will interesting to see the results.
    I just finished repacking trailer wheel bearings, had water in 3 of the 4.
    It will be interesting to see if WOS happens, that is a month away.

J

41 GMC K-18 and Tman like this.
  28. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

We always leave our car in the trailer when we leave for the day boy am I glad we did. The video shows our neighbor didn't fare as well glad we could help. Were the guys wearing the red 200 MPH club life member hats.. Our team made the best of a really bad situation. Its a four day journey West an expensive trip with nothing to show for the efforts racing is certainly hard for sure.
    Ronnieroadster

41 GMC K-18, Tman and Jalopy Joker like this.