Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kaiser '49 - Ever seen custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nix, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Mine was a 47. Always thought it was the ugliest thing possible but it was free, (traded neighbor for one of my trumpets). Ran good, took me to school, actually got me ............ah never mind. I went to visit uncle sam and my dad scrapped it out and kept the $15 bucks he got for it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. nix

nix
    from Italy

Paint removed. Started painting the frame.

241137010_10225894021647543_5718924198987818308_n.jpg

3. Squablow

Squablow

Great to see this still moving along!

nix likes this.
  4. YES! Looking good man! I totally took some tips from your build with the Frazer. I just posted my progress on another thread... I just finished one side, now extending the second door right now!

chryslerfan55 and nix like this.
  5. nix

nix
    from Italy

Unfortunately I progress slowly because I have no space to work, my garage is very small and I don't always have time to do it. I do everything by myself, no one helping me or just exchanging advice, where I live all this is difficult, even finding simple necessary parts (such as simple screws with American thread...)
    2020911 verniciatur telaio (7).jpg

6. Squablow

Squablow

The painted frame looks good! I can only imagine how much more difficult a build like this must be to do in Italy, but you're making progress and I'd love to see how it looks when finished.

7. Excited to see your Kaiser happen man! I've got access to a LOT of parts... let me know if you need anything! I know shipping might be a thing but I'd love to help!

8. nix

nix
    from Italy

Thank you so much for the thought!!!! Really cool!!! Actually I am looking for passenger side hood hinge (with spring), if by chance you have it available I would be interested to buy.
    canc1 3.jpg

Finished with anti-rust to the body

canc 1 2.jpg
    canc1 4.jpg

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'll be! When I first came across this, I thought : "He'll never be able to pull this off!", but boy, was I wrong.

It looks kind of "Merc-esque". Great work!

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Mercs mimic Hudsons and K-F styling……:D Both preceded the Merc.

Ray

11. nix

nix
    from Italy

Please, I'm looking for my project Kaiser 1949

-hood spring or hinge+spring .
    example:
    [​IMG]

-both front wheel cylinders (new)
    -both front shock absorbers (new) that can support the weight of the bibg block 454 and th400, about 800 lb (360 kg)

If anyone knows where to find and to buy?

12. nix

nix
    from Italy

Help.
    I need to build all fuel line system for new engine, I put a Chevrolet 454 Big Block MARK IV 1979 (it was fitted to a GMC motorhome Pace Arrow). I want to switch from the original mechanical fuel pump to an electric one. Can anyone help me with this conversion and job, which pump do you recommend to use and buy, regulator etc. ?

13. Squablow

Squablow

Can I ask why you want to use an electric fuel pump? Is it a space issue? Because the original style pumps are quite good, the only reason I would switch to electric is if there is not room for the mechanical pump.

14. nix

nix
    from Italy

right, unfortunately not room for mechanical pump

15. Squablow

Squablow

In that case, what you need to do is match the pressure of the electric pump to whatever carburetor you're using. If your 454 has the Rochester Quadrajet 4 barrel, I believe they like to be under or around 5 PSI (pounds per square inch, not sure what that works out to in metric) or less, so a pump that makes 5 PSI with an adjustable pressure regulator added after the pump would work nicely.

I don't have any good recommendations for a brand of pump, but I know I tried to run a Holley electric pump on a car with a Holley 4 barrel and it would flood out constantly, it was an issue of the pump making too much pressure.

nix likes this.
  16. nix

nix
    from Italy

17. Squablow

Squablow

That pump with a regulator to dial it back down a bit seems pretty ideal for a Quadrajet on a Chevy V8, although Speedway says it is backordered and they don't know when they'll get more. If you could get your hands on one, that seems like it'd work.

nix likes this.
  18. nix

nix
    from Italy

I saw now that it is backorder, I'm not lucky I have to find another

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, nix;
    When you do get a pump n regulator, take a few minutes & put an accurate testing gauge 'twixt the reg & carb. You may very well find the regulators aren't accurate, usually too high. Esp the little chrome ones & dbly w/the dial on top. I think holley makes a small decent regulator that is adjustable w/a allen wrench, sorry, don't have the part#. But those are(were) decent quality. & I'm sure you know, but the electric pumps are "pushers" not "suckers" like the oem engine-mounted ones, so mount them as close to the tank as possible, if they aren't the in-tank-type.
    FWIW, gm made a few small inline pumps in the late 80's, iirc, might even have been for the real early efi that wasn't port-type. Fuel pressure was ~5psi, at most. For some reason, I'm thinking Cadillac. I used one in a carbed Stude, worked well, didn't flood system. Sorry, don't remember that part# either. & another part# I don't remember was a ford p.u, ~80's(?), same deal as the gm. Both mounted on the frame rail, came w/a large "P"-clamp. Simple, but it worked well.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    nix likes this.
  20. I used a regulator from Speedway Motors. It is adjustable and I set mine at 5 PSI to use with a Carter AFB carburetor. Your 454 should have a Rochester quadra-jet carburetor. I'd think 5 PSI would be ok for it.
    Nice work!

nix likes this.
  21. nix

nix
    from Italy

Thanks for your advice, can anyone recommend a fuel pump or kit please (brand, model)? which Flow rate gph do you recommend? fuel line size 3/8 or other?

I think 5psi for fuel pump, 97 gph flow rate and 3/8 fuel line....

SS327 likes this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

GM seemed to always use a 3/8" fuel line with their big block cars so that seems good, not sure about GPH nor do I have a good suggestion for a pump though.

nix likes this.
  23. nix

nix
    from Italy

24. nix

nix
    from Italy

I have used CarterP4070 in the past for another type of engine, it was fine, this was also recommended to me, what do you think about using this?

25. Squablow

Squablow

The specifications all look fine, I would think that Carter pump would work just fine. I'd still want a pressure regulator in the system somewhere, but I don't see any reason that pump wouldn't work. 50 gph seems like plenty of volume for a street car, it has the right pressure range as well.

nix likes this.
  26. nix

nix
    from Italy

Thanks, I think to try to use Carter with regulator

Squablow likes this.
  27. nix

nix
    from Italy

...and if I wanted to use a "pump in tank" (because if I need to stay with the pump under the tank I can't....) someone recommend one? My tank is 7,87 inch high

28. 26Troadster

26Troadster