Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Cadillac & Le Monstre

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

WalkerMD likes this.
  2. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

3. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

Ryan, I encourage you to go to REVS.org and look up both cars plus the 1927 Packard Briggs first car it to me the Holy Grail of Hot Rodding.
    Jim Wood

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    WalkerMD, 41 GMC K-18 and kevinrevin like this.
  5. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Can you post a link to that site? When I type it in, GoDaddy wants to sell me the domain name of revs.org.

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

7. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

8. coot 53

coot 53

Old race cars being driven by present day drivers at a minimum shows the effort needed to wrestle an old piece around even at parade lap speeds. Another fun video out there is Taylor driving a Greenwood corvette at Laguna/ Mazda raceway in historic races…

rod1 likes this.
  9. tywester1955

tywester1955
    from sc

I've got a bunch of pictures of Briggs Cunningham from Frank Sessions in fact. Racing four D-type jaguars, and loading them up on his open car hauler. Really neat guy.

10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Yesereebob

rod1 likes this.
  11. aircap

aircap

I'll bet Le Monstre was a handful at top speed. That body shape would lift the front end over 90 MPH making steering a little twitchy, I'd think.

12. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the speed converter mounted on top of the tach in LeMonstre.

13. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

OK, I was not aware of that. I don't think the organizers would have said no to an Oldsmobile - in the first races after the war it was "anything goes", I'm sure they were concerned about not enough entries. But if GM/Cadillac was involved and the thinking was "we need a Cadillac out there" (although there was already an Allard-Cadillac entry which ultimately finished at 3rd place) Briggs would have been foolish to argue. I still think a NASCAR spec 88 would have had far better chances of getting a good result at Le Mans, it would have been faster than the Aston Martin DB 2 which finished 5th and 6th and maybe even some of the sports cars. It is what it is though and yes, the Cadillacs look superb with that color scheme...

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

I was wondering what that was.

15. I ran into his son way back in '65 at a popular American surf spot in Baja. When we introduced
    ourselves around a campfire on the beach one night, he mentioned his name was ____Cunningham.
    I asked if he was any relation to the race car driver, and he replies, "Yes, he's my dad." I called B.S.
    and he says, "Hang 10.......errrr.......hang on, I'll be right back." Walks over to his new Dodge surf van, and comes back w/ an old scrapbook of photos. Sure enough............I ate a lot of crow for dinner.....

rod1 likes this.
  16. The '50 Cadillac and the Le Monstre at the 2022 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:

Briggs Cunningham 1950 Cadillac @ 2022 PBCdE - by John D'Agostino.jpg
    Briggs Cunningham Le Monstre (front) @ 2022 PBCdE (by John D'Agostino).jpg
    Briggs Cunningham Le Monstre (side) @ 2022 PBCdE (by John D'Agostino).jpg
    images by @John D'Agostino

Briggs Cunningham  1950 Cadillac @ 2022 PBCdE (by Timothy McGrane).jpg
    Briggs Cunningham Le Monstre @ 2022 PBCdE (by Timothy McGrane).jpg
    images by Timothy McGrane

17. I could have sworn I already posted these videos here in this thread, but I guess I never got a round tuit.png ... enjoy:

footage of Le Monstre at the 1950 Watkins Glen Gran Prix at the 2:27 & 4:01 marks

Le Monstre at the 2022 Le Mans Classic

Derek Drinkwater driving the Cadillac at the 2022 Goodwood Members Meeting

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    aircap likes this.