Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Cadillac & Le Monstre

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Cadillac & Le Monstre

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Nads, Ned Ludd, Tom davison and 15 others like this.
  2. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 carbs ought to do it. Great Stuff.

Ned Ludd and flatheadpete like this.
  3. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

I never understood why Cunningham went for the heavy Cadillac when there was the lighter and more nimble Old 88 around, already being raced on the stock car circuits and hence more developed.

panhead_pete likes this.
  4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn would never have looked at one of those caddies as race car but it does look sublime and 10th at LeMans is no joke.

flatheadpete and rod1 like this.

5. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

When you started posting and "schooling" us about Briggs Cunningham that brilliant builder/racer, I hoped you would include the Monster. American ingenuity at it's hot rod best! Thank you

6. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I saw both those cars in a museum 30 years ago. I was impressed with how crude LeMonstre looked and how ridiculous a Coupe DeVille in racing livery is.
    Maybe this a better way to build hot rods now. Instead of fiberglass Model T kits or undrivable rat rods, find an early 50s roller with an interesting engine and re-body it.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  7. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

The drivers today are so lucky to not face the racers of yesterday.

Little Lumpy beat the monster.

alanp561, hidez57 and squirrel like this.
  8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Holy smokes The Monster is bad ass. And who woulda thought a '50 Caddy could be a race car?

Nads and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Curt Six

Curt Six

Briggs Cunningham is a hero...up there with guys like Phil Remington, both of whom really embodied American hot rod ingenuity and soul in my mind.

This is kind of a tangent, but it's a neat story about Cunningham that an old Georgia hot rodder named Frank Sessions told me when I was writing TRJ's "Scrapbook"...

Cunningham 01.jpeg Cunningham 02.jpeg

As it turns out, Frank's memory (and my fact checking) was a little foggy...this would have been 1954, and that year Cunningham was actually driving a Ferrari 375MM—but it still had little silver dollar-sized taillights. The idea of Frank running his three-window around Watkins Glen, and then tailing Cunningham into town is too cool.

Here's a photo of the Deuce Frank owned at the time (and for most of his life). This car is now owned by Ty Wester and was featured in @HopUp annual #15.
    Cunningham 03.jpeg

36 ROKIT, rod1, Outback and 11 others like this.
  10. I'm proud of you, Ryan. I'm honored to be a member of this place. These stories deserve to be told. Keep up the great work man.

11. AmishMike

AmishMike

Wonder what it weighted? That roll hoop structure looks heavy if an example of the rest. Guess ran auto trans & wonder what rear gear. Maybe another’s year of development would have helped. Looks like that front end would have a lot of lift. Surprised if Grumman airplane people built the body why not
    Owner that front nose

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. AmishMike

AmishMike

Lower. Not owner

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Money.

As an American, one of the biggest obstacles to Le Mans is cost. Apparently, Cadillac was willing to help Briggs out…

I also think there’s some marketing in that decision. Nothing is more American to a European than a big overweight Cadillac… And Briggs wanted to leave his mark at Le Mans so as to secure future funding. What better way to do that than as a novelty act of sorts? It worked too because the fans LOVED Briggs.

Also, I think the livery on the stock bodied Cadillac is amazing… and we suck as humans if someone doesn’t build a homage to that car. :)

Nads, SS327, kevinrevin and 8 others like this.
  14. Curt Six

Curt Six

Not to mention a lot of the tanks that helped win the war less than a decade earlier were powered by Cadillacs (flathead Cads, but still...)

SS327 likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Word. Even though olds and cad overheads were essentially identical, the cad had the reputation.

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

My pal Derek Drinkwater built and races recreations of the two Cunningham Caddys here in Europe - he has raced both at Le Mans. Even Derek’s support vehicle is a grey 4 door Caddy, same as the one Briggs used at Le Mans. Derek was racing the cars again at this year’s Classic Le Mans. Here’s a link to an article about Derek’s cars https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/cunningham-plan-amazing-cadillacs-recreated

Regards

Jon.

rod1, alanp561, kevinrevin and 6 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

‘This guy gets it.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have read many times thathe 49 Caddy with a 3 speed in the lightest model was the fastest US production car..... The Cadillac performane and smoothness got the attention Mercedes and Rolls Royce .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. raaf

raaf

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 3.54.34 PM.png
    On the side shot, the livery creates the illusion that there is a '54 Chevy hiding behind there.

Great history and great cars. Thanks for sharing.

Nads, WalkerMD, NoSurf and 6 others like this.
  20. I always contend that a TJJ Blog and its resultant H.A.M.B. thread can never have enough vintage pics ... so:

Briggs Cunningham Cadillac at LeMans in 1950.jpg
    Cunningham's 'Le Monstre' prototype in the pits at the 1950 24 Hours of Le Mans.jpg
    Cunningham's 'Le Monstre' prototype at the 1950 24 Hours of Le Mans.jpg
    Briggs Cunningham entered two Cadillacs in the 1950 24 Hours of Le Mans (Klemantaski Collection).jpg
    Cunningham's 'Le Monstre' finished 11th at the 1950 24 Hrs of Le Mans (Klemantaski Collection).jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    elgringo71, 302GMC, Jet96 and 11 others like this.
  21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In addition to racing cars, Briggs Cunningham won the first America’s Cup 12 Meter race in 1958 representing the New York Yacht Club.

NoSurf, 41 GMC K-18 and panhead_pete like this.
  22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great eye, now I cant unsee it :) Wonder if the designers started with something like that??

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Nacifan

Nacifan

Screenshot 2022-07-13 195120.png Screenshot 2022-07-13 195230.png Screenshot 2022-07-13 195149.png Screenshot 2022-07-13 195528.png A D. Drinkwater has what I understand is an exact repla-cloan of the org Le Monster. These screen shots are from the 2022 Classic Lemans race this year, last June . This is the "Grid 2" race.

HEMI32, Sancho, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  24. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Saw them at the Revs Institute in Naples, FL last March. IMG_9117.jpg IMG_9118.jpg IMG_9119.jpg IMG_9121.jpg

Jet96, 36 ROKIT, Toms Dogs and 7 others like this.
  25. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, isn't this interesting. I can't quite remember his name, but it must have been Derek that contacted me concerning the gauges in his replication of Le Monstre. He told me that he saw the original car in a museum in Florida, when he was on vacation from England. And, it so happened that I had a 6,000 rpm bakelite Sun tach, exactly like the one in the dash picture (which I still have in my picture collection), which I did sell to him. And, I referred him to another HAMBer, who furnished the Stewart-Warner Wings gauges. It's always nice to see how things panned out & that there is a connection to the HAMB.

Jet96, 36 ROKIT, WalkerMD and 4 others like this.
  26. raaf

raaf

@HEMI32 - terrific photos. You must have quite a collection. Note the driver's side front got trashed at some point.

@panhead_pete - it persists at other angles too. See @40LUV 's photos above. Weird right?

WalkerMD and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool that Grumman Aircraft Co built the body, Le Monstre is one kick ass rig!

28. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

I volunteer at the REVS Museum in Naples where both cars reside. They are still in the original condition as raced and do get exercised and driven. The car not many know about was Brigg's 1927 Packard roadster that was a test mule at the proving grounds in Detroit. He got the car which had many miles on the test track and took the fenders off, put the headlamps on the frame rails, shortened the rear body, incorporated the original trunk forward and drove the car at home and on the Yale Campus while a student. He worked summers at Packard working on an engineering degree. See the car at REVS.org. This car was a 120 MPH car in 1927 with its straight eight engine and possibly the first Hot Rod!
    Jim Wood
    Bonita Springs Fl.

29. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

the car was 13 MPH faster than the coupe but his mistake was to not vent the brakes so they got so hot he could not maneuver the corners. It was faster than any of the competition on the track. He put the car in a sand pile, and it took him over 2 hours to dig the car out using his helmet to get back on track. The coupe finished LeMans 10th the LeMonstre 11th.