Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead to T170 RTS Adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JT1930, Nov 24, 2019.

1. JT1930

JT1930

Other than Mac’s speed in New Zealand who in the states makes a transmission adapter for Flathead v8 to the Ford F-150 T170 RTS trans? Thanks.

2. Try to find a phone number for MEC on Ford Barn. Bunch of posts but no number and the website isn't working.

Maybe
    330-644-3450 Gene in Ohio?

3. JT1930

JT1930

Thank you. I got gene’s number and will give a ring.

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes a while to get him by phone but well worth the effort IMO. I bought one of his adapters for a Ford toploader 4 speed to a flathead for a project that never went anywhere but the adapter was top notch. I also bought thermostat housings for an 8ba with 1 3/4 inch inlets for the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Again top notch. And yes his web site sucks if it happens to working at all.

JT1930 likes this.
  5. JT1930

JT1930

That’s what I was concerned about his website. Usually when you see that they have gone under.

6. I have the same setup for my 33, but have not installed it yet.
    @Randall on here shared with me his way of doing this.
    Using a truck hogshead, he simply transfer punched and drilled new mounting holes in the trans case. He did it without stripping the innards from the case, only draining the lube. Only one bolt length is critical to keep it from hitting a gear
    The input shaft retainer fits the hogshead perfectly, so the location is established.
    I mocked mine up, but haven't finished it. I'll try to get some better pics if you want. I used the level to get the hogshead and trans case parallel. Locate and drill the furthermost outside hole, bolt it up and locate the other three. Sounds too easy, but Randall swears it works. The depth was correct for my 8BA.
    20181120_140849.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Jet96, rusty valley and JT1930 like this.
  7. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I started work on mine today. Got a hogshead from the classifieds on here and a t170. I had to open up the big hole in the hogshead a bit to fit the retainer on the t170. Tomorrow I will drill and tap the holes into the t170. I am still trying to work out what size bolts to use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    JT1930, kadillackid and rusty valley like this.
  8. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve got the Macs adapter and it’s really nice. Only thing is the clutch cross shaft is super tight and probably needs to have the bushings reamed a bit…

Now if I can only find out where to buy the plastic shift fork pads I would be in business! These things seem to be impossible to find (not trying to hijack your thread though!!)

8C20371F-5C50-497A-9B73-48583CBD1CC9.jpeg F1479E8B-1A5F-4BDF-91DD-8DFE04B33419.jpeg

hotdamn, JT1930 and RMR&C like this.
  9. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I shortened the pilot on the input shaft. I still have a 1/4” gap. So I am trying to decide if I should modify the pilot bearing so it seats in further or modify the inputshaft by extending the pilot back 1/4” by cutting away some of that taper. Or a combination of both. Or get a chunk of 1/4” steel plate and make an adapter.

Edit: see below why I need to use a 1/4” spacer to fill that gap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    rusty valley likes this.
  10. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I used a truck hogshead, but I bought a piece of ground plate 1/4” thick and made an adapter to go between the hogshead and trans. I had a complete 3 speed that I sat on the bench beside the other trans and just tried to replicate all the depth measurements from the 3 speed over onto my T170 project. I put the T170 bearing retainer in the lathe and cut a little off the end to match up with the original. I also turned down the diameter of the retainer mounting area for a nice fit to the hogshead. I haven’t cut my pilot shaft yet but I am going to have to like ActionYobbo did. I have a piece of tube I will machine a sleeve out of to go over the T170 bearing retainer so I can use the old 3 speed throw out bearing. Now, having said all this, I don’t know if all this is going to work yet, as I’m not done yet. Lol. I still have to work out the clutch and pressure plate puzzle. A2FE36F6-C573-4D1E-A23F-4BB563BB5EE5.jpeg 8908AE98-3983-458A-B78D-DCE01239DD10.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  11. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I have to get a clutch disc before I can continue. I have the original 11 inch pressure plate. I just have to find a clutch disc that will work with it.

12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I had a similar problem with input shaft to pilot bushing interference so I chamfered the pilot bushing about 1/4" deep for clearance. Considering the light side load on the pilot bushing, I decided it's acceptable to reduce the contact length by this amount.
    I also did not cut down the input shaft as mine didn't bottom out, but it was a different engine.

[​IMG]

13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I have an 11" clutch/pp as well from the 47 1 1/2 ton truck that my engine came out of but I'm not going to use it. I'm pretty sure the effort required to clutch it would be too great. I'm dropping back to a 10".

14. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I have the 1 ton truck and the clutch is not as heavy as my 78 f350 tow truck

15. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Who did the closed driveline conversion on the back?

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

On a related issue, does anyone know where I can locate a shifter top for one of these transmissions? I have an earlier version that had the shifter shafts coming out from the side which I converted to top shift with a Jeep shifter top. Since the Jeep wasn't an overdrive, this leaves me with a really bad shift pattern. I can see from the pictures that the backup switch is in a different position than mine which leads me to think that this would solve my problem. Or maybe even a complete transmission?

17. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

After doing a bunch of measuring and test fitting of clutch parts I will put a 1/4 inch plate between the hogshead and t170 like ronzmtrwrx has done. This will keep the clutch parts spacing the same as the original. That 1/4 inch is needed to compensate for the big end of the bearing retainer sticking out 1/4 inch more than the stock 3 speed. My measurements are all referenced off the flat face of the bearing retainer where the throw out bearing would sit when at rest and the flat face on the big end of the hogshead.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  18. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

The up side to the thicker bearing retainer is that it catches both the adapter plate and the hogshead as well, keeping everything aligned. I have written down somewhere the amount I machined off the length of the tube where the throw out bearing will ride. I’ll have to look for it.

19. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had Tim Sheridan here in Michigan do it. He has done a bunch for the Model A crowd. Found his info from the Fordbarn.

fiveohnick2932 likes this.
  20. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I am trying to decide if drilling the 6 hogshead bolt holes into the front of the t170 and tap and 609 in some 7/16-14 studs on the top 4 and 3/8-16 on the bottom 2 is a practical option. I have searched far and wide and have found no information on doing it that way. I have to rebuild the trans so cleaning out the shavings will be done then.

21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I did not drill into my transmission. I used flat head cap screws mating the 1/4” plate to the hogshead and then mating the plate to transmission. Just make sure you have a perfect fit on the hogshead center hole as well as the adapter plate center hole to trans bearing retainer, keeping everything centered up properly.
    F2B96718-6CD5-4237-A769-7373D8ABC364.jpeg FEE55B6C-C005-4432-9FC5-9499CB114A5F.jpeg
    The bolts through the plate to hogshead are 1/2”. The bolts through plate to trans are 7/16”

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  22. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

I ended up copying what ronzmtrwrx has done with the plate. I have not cut the outer shape I will do that when I get time. Now its in so I can get the crossmember setup. Took 4 hours to get the holes in the plate. I did not have a cutter big enough to do it so I did the ring of 1000 drill holes and then finished it off in the mill

Attached Files:

RMR&C likes this.
  23. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Good job. That’s a lot of drilling. I was fortunate enough to have a rotating table given to me a few years ago, so that’s how I cut mine on the mill. I probably have the dimension written down somewhere, but I took a little off the length of the tube of the bearing retainer where the throw out bearing slides. I haven’t done it yet, but I’m going to make a sleeve light press fit to that tube with the right o.d. To run the old ford throw out bearing. Probably use some loctite stud n bearing mount on it. As I said, I’m trying to replicate as close as I can, all the depths and diameters of the original 3 speed I have on the bench.

24. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bringing this back up selfishly… any of you guys know where to get replacement plastic shift fork pads for the RTS? Or if they are common with something else? I’m striking out
    Thanks!
    Matt

25. hotdamn

hotdamn

love that yours is converted to torque tube!! I plan on doing that as well

26. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

Just add a picture of the spacer plate after cutting it to shape with an angle grinder while it got to a high of 35 outside today
    I am still working on this build just slower than what I planed. My hold up now is I got a 4x4 trans because I was going to do a torque tube but have decided to do a modern drive shaft. So now I need to find a 2wd T170 or the tail housing for the 2wd to convert the t170 I have.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023