Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage I think I'm getting numb to the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just got back from the NSRA SW Nats today.

I have to say that Solomon was right, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

My wife and I walked the fairgrounds all day and was pretty much uninspired. I have tried to put my finger on what it was that was gnawing at me. Something was wrong. I saw 800+ cars and took pics of 2.

They were all nice cars, with all of the checkboxes checked. They just all wreaked of the lack of originality. They all had nice paint, chrome engine pieces, nice interior etc. But they looked like 1-800 cars. Don't get me wrong, I understand why a guy would go this route, just due to convenience, but man they had no soul. My wife even commented on it.

I think this is what drew me towards the traditional car genre back in the early 90's.
    I saw so many chrome pieces on engines, it made me rethink my approach towards my next build. More detailed, painted pieces with a splash of chrome.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the lack of innovation will be the downfall of the hobby.

Sorry for the diatribe, I'm just kinda bummed. I need some inspiration. Hoping the Gathering at the Roc will be the ticket.

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

The only 2 cars I took pics of.
    766F8526-2893-45BC-97C5-0C86B8C02DBF.jpeg 14D17A61-AEB4-4B7B-820C-57D9C64624EF.jpeg

3. I just like banging on cars.
    Looking at them is ok
    Driving and building is where it’s at.
    Spend that time driving or building.

Bob Lowry, Outback, Cosmo49 and 35 others like this.
  4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Model A's with '32 rad shells are a turn off for me.
    But I do like Buick motors.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's what I do Anthony. I'm mainly a builder.

nochop, mad mikey, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Street rods suck. That’s why we are here to get away from that crap

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

We go out once a week to a car gather (some weeks 2 or 3 times). I don’t even walk the cars. I go only to hang with other’s to shoot the breeze.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I saw probably 30 guys I haven't seen since 2020. Spent most of the day talking.

9. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I've had that same experience at some bigger shows lately too. However, I usually find at least a couple cars that are different, that the owner managed to put in something extra. I'll spend a good deal of time going over something special. It does seem there are too many guys that lack any creativity or imagination. I think a big problem is, people don't build too many components these days. If they can't afford the store bought part they discover online, they just don't build. To me, that's an invitation to make a custom part, or try to adapt something unusual.

54delray, raven, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  10. desotot

desotot

Hmmm, one with a hemi and one with a nailhead, at least you have good taste!

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I didn't see one single Caddy powered rod.

warbird1, winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. I live in a custom/hot rod wasteland.
    So I’m used to it.
    But I enjoy hanging out with the newer car crowd. Kinda cleanses the pallet from the street rods. Plus the folks are younger. Those guys inspire me to work on my old crap.

Cosmo49, LAROKE, SS327 and 6 others like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Most people are not cool enough to run a Caddy

54delray, Chavezk21, Outback and 19 others like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Spoken like a true Caddy fan! Ha!

15. @anthony myrick is right, I’m passing up going to the biggest car show in the area tomorrow to work on my Chrysler, I have more fun building and driving my cars then looking at other peoples.

16. Inspiration comes from odd sources.
    There is a high school across the road from our school. A kid left the parking lot in a slammed, beat up civic. Banging thru gears, loud, arm hanging out the window and hat turned backwards.
    I went home and started cleaning up my nasty shop so I could get back to doing what I enjoy.
    I’ve skipped almost all the shows I normally attend.
    I’ll get back to em, I just need to swing a hammer for a while.

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I really like to see well thought out, practical solutions to complicated problems. Methodical and sanitary installations are things I like to see.

19. chop&drop

chop&drop

I don’t go to any NSRA, or Goodguys events, Back to the Fifties or similar events. Not enough cars of interest to make it worth fighting the crowds.

chevyfordman, pprather, scoop and 3 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I get it. I'm not knocking these big shows. They have a place. I just wonder how they can get so many guys to think exactly alike......

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Our (traditional hot rods and customs) segment of the automotive hobby is the smallest. We are the minority

54delray, Outback, mad mikey and 13 others like this.
  22. goldmountain

goldmountain

Tomorrow I plan to take my car to its first car show. It is finally leaving its garage prison. Should be good for the first few minutes anyhow.

Outback, Cooon, Texas57 and 7 others like this.
  23. Yep, only spent about two hours total there today. Took four pics I think. I liked this A coupe and 56 F100. I also liked the purple nailhead powered A that @Roothawg posted. Anyway, very few traditional cars there. I did talk to lots of friends though. That is why I went. Oh, and it was a good excuse to drive about 150 miles today in the 56 by the time I also had to pick up a prescription in Mustang for my wife’s cousin. :D

6C4F591A-46C7-4C94-B827-ADCB6171C54F.jpeg F6BD9141-46A9-4D3E-8E81-FB935CE0AC5A.jpeg

24. Correct me if I’m wrong @Roothawg but are you saying that you are umm, comfortably numb?

25. Don’t look for inspiration from my old beaters then.
    But seeing that kid drive that beater like he stole it reminded me of something I lost.
    It may be hiding in my shop somewhere

Cosmo49, raven, SS327 and 9 others like this.
  26. I do like goodguys with the auto cross.
    Fun to watch guys thrash high dollar rides.

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Keep cleaning, it may turn up.

Outback, mad mikey, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  28. Yep, my inspiration came from a guy that I also took a pic of today that typically comes on our local Hot Rod Hundred event in his beater 58 vette usually with 3 guys riding in it. Can’t post that one though since it has some 70’s wheels on it.

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

You sir, are a prophet.

30. twenty8

twenty8

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.........;)

54delray, SlamIam, 61Cruiser and 12 others like this.