Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Found a link to old show in 1983, were you there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 8, 2022.

1. The last days of the restorod, as it was soon to transition into easter eggs and poor mans all paint Boydisms.

2. Middle car is the Dienerbiult Coupe, you saw it in all of their print ads

Sancho, indyjps and Dan Hay like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was never really a fan of that style. It was a very famous build, but only to those that embraced that look.

Tman and Dan Hay like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was there and in a 38 Chevy coupe, (that was no where as nice as Dan Hay's car) and I think I still have the tee shirt. I may have even seen Billy Gibbons there?? The dash plaque from there and St Paul from the year before are still affixed to my dash. That was the last big show I went to. IMG_4643.JPEG

5. Not alot of four doors or fake and/or real patina either. No rat rods. Didn't these people know whats kool?

Tman, X38, lurker mick and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rand Man

Rand Man

I don’t think I was there, but I was into that scene at the time. The eighties are worth remembering. I was in college having a ball.

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  7. Just remembered I had this in the closet..
    C3052F58-ACF7-4C7B-A2AB-249986FD522F.jpeg

BigDogSS, vtx1800, Tman and 7 others like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

You should wear that….

9. Note the near complete lack of grey hair AND all the "babes" in the cars. Back then, young guys could still afford to build - and not buy - their own cars! (And had the interest for doing so...)

ccain, guthriesmith, Tman and 2 others like this.
  10. I would but it’s a Large. Haven’t worn a Large since high school. I’d look like a stuffed sausage.

vtx1800, Irish Mike and Roothawg like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

All those half nekkid babes and not a tattoo on any of them!

Lots of wire wheels, a few Cragar's and even fewer Torque Thrusts. Not many steel wheels, either. Saw a few bullet hole aluminum wheels, that style was just taking off. A lot of resto rods. I was ogling Street Rodder and Rod and Custom and didn't have anything HAMB friendly to build yet, I was still into VW Bugs and V8 Vega's. Two years from starting my trucking career, I was a broke sob. Always dreaming, because that was all I could afford to do.

Still haven't went to a huge event like that.....

Jim Bouchard and Roothawg like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I love Tru-Spokes. Been looking for a good set of 15x7 and 15x5 at every swap meet I go to. Most are rusty now.

13. lets see 1983.... my dad was a Junior in HS and my mom was a freshman. Living in different states, so I can confirm I was not there, lol.

14. All the grey hairs were at their Antique Nationals bitching about how hotrodders were fucking up their precious original tin....

Roothawg and Tman like this.
  15. What car game were they playing hanging out the window? Looks similar to "spear spuds" that we had at the Super Cruise In here in Portland where you would hang out with a stick and snag potatoes while doing like an autocross setup. Got some old VHS taps of Taboo pacing through the course, lol.

Roothawg and Jim Bouchard like this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

Jousting. Gymkahna stuff was popular in the 70's and 80's. Might even be popular now except for insurance costs for the promoters.

Sancho, ccain, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  17. primed34

primed34

No one was making new five spokes at that time. You bought them out of garages or in my case out of a back yard. I didn't make the Nats that year because I had just got married.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in Tulsa in 1973 with my 48 and that was it's first event that I ever took it to. I was living in McGregor Tx then. We moved back up here at the end of July in 1977 and Outside of a Road trip to Texas in 1981 haven't been to any events down that way since.
    The Gold AD in the upper left hand corner is my 48 photobombing the red roadster in 1973.
    [​IMG]

19. primed34

primed34

Tru-Spokes were really bad about not staying balanced and a real pain in the ass to keep clean. Didn't take me long to start to hate mine. They weren't cheap either.

Roothawg, Tman and Jim Bouchard like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

1983. I rode in the back seat of my dad`s 51 Ford Vicky to Springfield Ohio for the leadsleds. Root. That`s Larry Purcell`s Chopped 41 Ford. I had tru-spokes on my avatar in the 80`s.

Sancho, vtx1800, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That is cool. I got a big tote bin full of old rod run tees that even though they don't fit for some reason I couldn't part with them. A woman I work with who sews offered to make a quilt with them for me.

BigDogSS, Roothawg and Jim Bouchard like this.
  22. We had a quilt made of many of my dad's shirts. My sister has it or I'd post a pic.

BigDogSS, Roothawg and Jim Bouchard like this.
  23. I agree, the worst of the 80s all in one car

Jim Bouchard and Roothawg like this.
  24. Dan,...I remember talking with your dad years back, can't remember which shows, he had his "purple hays" Chevy coupe then, we hit it off as I've had many 37-8 Chevies over the years...

25. thanks for posting that! Made my day. He’s been gone since 2006.

Jim Bouchard and guthriesmith like this.
  26. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a JR in high school just like some said I also cant remember wire wheels being that popular the Champ 500 was starting to come onto the seen though.

BigDogSS and Jim Bouchard like this.
  27. Looked a lot more fun in ‘83 than it was this weekend. :rolleyes:

Sancho, ccain, lurker mick and 2 others like this.