Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering the rear of a 65 Ford pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 7, 2022.

1. I'm in the plan and accumulating parts stage of my '65 Ford pickup and thinking I would like to lower the rear, my first thought was lowering blocks because I want to keep the leaf springs.

This truck is just going to be a daily driver so it's not going to be a high dollar build, just a budget beater.

I'm not married to the lowering blocks and would like to get some feedback on the use of blocks. HRP

2. Budget36

Budget36

I thought the springs were on top of the rearend in that truck?

HOTRODPRIMER, Cooon and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. The springs are on top of the rear axle on that truck. The most effective way to lower the rear, is by putting the axle on top of the spring and C notching the frame for clearance. Otherwise its de-arched springs and or Custom made or modified spring hanger brackets to mount the springs too.

HOTRODPRIMER and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Yes sir, they are, I was planning on cutting the spring mounts of the axle and relocating them under the axle but I don't think that will be enough drop ,but having never done this on a truck I really don't know. HRP

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

Budget36, "bingo", and "flipping" the axle will lower the rear of the pickup 4 inches plus which is usually too much, to compensate, drill the spring mounting brackets off of the frame and relocate them "down" to compensate. Good luck with your project.

HOTRODPRIMER and Budget36 like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

As mentioned above, that’s a good drop, is that what you’re after or just a 2 inch or so adjustment?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Might be able to just relocate them/change the style and mount them higher?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. If you re-locate brackets, you only need to the front ones most of the time. the change in pinion angle is pretty minimal and almost eliminated if you can use lowering shackles on the rear.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Just looked at the spring mounts on my ‘57 Chevy PU, they could be flipped and mounted on top of the frame, I think (for me) it would be too low. But I could then use a block under the spring to adjust the height.
    Danny, what’s your setup look like?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. An axle flip will slam that truck a good bit.
    im in

HOTRODPRIMER and Cooon like this.
  12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Probably a bigger problem will be lowering the front twin I-beam suspension to match.

HOTRODPRIMER and deadbeat like this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad you brought that up HRP. I am going over the possible scenarios with my ‘48. I want mine lowered and level. I had an OT Chevy short bed with a flip kit and it sat nice.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe a 1965 GM passenger car front section would add improvements and level the rear to that. If your not towing or planning heavy loads then that will remove some of the thought process of having to compromise.

HOTRODPRIMER and anthony myrick like this.
  15. flat 39

flat 39

Mine with dearched springs.
    IMG_0968.jpg

16. If @HOTRODPRIMER does decide to lower the front some too, Sid now drops the twin I-beams. www.droppedaxles.com

17. Thanks for the information but Sid's doesn't like the twin "I" beams on the site.

I do plan to lower the front as well, with some type of dropped twin beams, no frame clips. HRP

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Ok, but I know he is doing them now. :D Probably just haven’t updated the website yet. I have inside information since my son is working for him and also since I have been good friends with him for about 30 years now. :D

19. Dropped I-Beam from Sids
    BE52991C-4D03-4AAF-AAE2-E9872C761E66.jpeg
    dropped I-beam from a shop near you
    F00EDD7E-C166-403D-BA33-F75D14671D77.jpeg
    a broke fabricated I-beam
    81409744-2F4F-4360-B263-0E0095834E28.jpeg

20. Thank you, I have used used Sid's in the past and know his products are top notch. HRP

Boneyard51 and guthriesmith like this.
  21. We all need to avoid that shop! :eek: That is scary and it looks like square tubing, it certainly doesn't appear to be cast. HRP

22. The broke one is DJM or Chassis Tech
    The other fabricated bean I posted if built from Ford beams, has a very deep drop, probably welded better than the “store bought” ones.
    However, the amateur engineer in me don’t like ‘em. They do however have a better looking tie rod drop than Sids.
    Of the 3 posted, I would probably go with Sids. If I needed it dropped more than 3-5 inches, I’d remove the beams entirely.
    A Ford Explorer front spring is good for about a1.5 inch drop. They ride better than the original in my worthless opinion. And are very reasonably priced.

23. Thank you my friend, I value & appreciate your opinion. HRP

guthriesmith and anthony myrick like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In about that time Ford had the most sophisticated progressive leave spring system , ever. But before you flip and cut your frame and stuff, try taking one leaf out of the main set of springs, and add one inch to the rear shackle. That should give you your two inch drop with minimal modifications. Tell us what spring set up you have, please. Pictures would be nice, since there were several spring set ups available during those years.

Bones

HOTRODPRIMER and Budget36 like this.
  25. ...here's a photo of my 55 Chevy pickup rear springs, orig. the rearend mounted under the springs.
    I removed the rear spring hangers from the frame and flip'd them over to the top of the frame, which placed the shackles hanging down, then placed the rearend on top of the springs.
    this truck already had longer shackles than stock, but worked out great.
    upload_2022-7-8_14-16-6.jpeg

26. 55 chev pu good 005.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, I thought you gave the truck to your grandson.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. I did John, buy now he is in Florida and doesn't have a place to put the truck nor a place to work on it,I told him I was going to start working on it and get it back on the road, naturally I told Mathew the truck is still his but now he has to wait to inherit it. HRP

deadbeat likes this.